Obion County in NWTN.

ToBeHonest

Pretty simple. Obion co is open zone. The athletes choose to go where they want. Success attracts people. UC is playing within the TSSAA rules. End of story.

i know the athletes in union city are choosing to go to union city.  my question is How do they keep all the other kids from going there.  for goodness sakes union city has 3000 more people than Milan.  How do they keep their total enrollment numbers down

i know the athletes in union city are choosing to go to union city.  my question is How do they keep all the other kids from going there.  for goodness sakes union city has 3000 more people than Milan.  How do they keep their total enrollment numbers down

Seems as if you're gonna just have to drive up there and ask somebody...might not want to go this Friday though...probably won't be many people in town.

Edited by tradertwo

i know the athletes in union city are choosing to go to union city. my question is How do they keep all the other kids from going there. for goodness sakes union city has 3000 more people than Milan. How do they keep their total enrollment numbers down

Dan its simple the athletes go to UC cause of success of the program; others its just up to the kids and there parents. Plus the closing of good year hurt the county all together with people moving businesses closing . Central went from having over 1000 students to barely over 900; and UC when I graduated in '01 was barely over 400 as it was so thats how it is both schools took small hits everything else is just the same thing they go where they want. When I went we had the athletes in fact our starting quarterback my senior year as well as our wide receiver who both graduated with me told me they came to compete for championships which we did every year. So the choices the parents and kids make haven't changed its jus the economic hit that put people out of work when goodyear was closing. This county was around 35,000 but now we are barely around 30,000.

i know the athletes in union city are choosing to go to union city. my question is How do they keep all the other kids from going there. for goodness sakes union city has 3000 more people than Milan. How do they keep their total enrollment numbers down

There are kids in UC that choose to go to Obion Co. A lot and that is there right to go to the county school in which they reside. Again it is open zone.

Its strictly the parents' choice. No more complicated than that. Guess you could call the situation an enigma.

There are a handful of students that have bounced back and forth between the schools.  If they played ball, they would have to sit out from sports for a year.  As far as I know, there is nothing preventing all the parents in UC sending their children to UC.  The high school building can probably handle up to 600 to 650 students before numbers become an issue.  There are just a lot of parents that are no way no how going to send their children to UC.  I do think the UC magnet school program will begin changing some of that mindset.  UC academics have been impressive of late.

so what if all the parents decided to send their kids to UC?  would they build on and  add more teachers?  and then what if the next year they all decided to go back to obion c.? i can promise you there is some criteria that ensures UC only has a certain number of students.   

No criteria dan...how fast would some mad parent contact a lawyer if their child was denied enrollment at UC to provide space for an athlete?...fast I can tell you. Parents are fickle creatures...I guarantee you that the biggest UC fan in the world would turn on them in a heartbeat if their child was shunned by the administration there. Union City has made some economic strides in the recent past, and with the "upgrades" in the area, I expect that in two years the student population to be well into the current 2AA class in football, and maybe in the near future even higher.

Don't mistake me for a local...I'm not, but I do understand the impossibility of cultivating the "system" that you are implying exists. No public school has the ability to restrict enrollment to anyone eligible (county citizen in an open zone)  as long as there are facilities to acommodate them, much less athletes, who are under constant scrutiny by the public...even the local public.

Magnet schools in nashville select and deny kids every day, is that how UC does it. mrobjective mentioned UC magnet program, how does that work?

Milan is open zone. Our board policy is on the school system website. It tells how the open zoning works. I bet UC's is too. You would probably have more luck looking there than you would poking around on coach t. Unless you are just trying to stir the pot and not really looking for answers.