Sullivan South 2015

SECPowerHouse

Question about our scrimmage last week.I heard your offense was a complete rebuild and the defense returned 9 starters.If so,what players returned on defense and did they play Friday.Your team looked pretty sound on both sides of the ball.Should be a fine year for the rebs.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about our scrimmage last week.I heard your offense was a complete rebuild and the defense returned 9 starters.If so,what players returned on defense and did they play Friday.Your team looked pretty sound on both sides of the ball.Should be a fine year for the rebs.

We lost all of our skill players on offense and also 3 starting linemen so offense was mostly all new starters.  On defense we lost both corners, both safetys, 1 MLB , 1 OLB only returning 3 defensive linemen and 2 linebackers.  Lots of the kids that didn't start last year did see significant playing time but it will be an adjustment for sure.  DB looked good, you've got some good backs and Maupin should be solid at QB.

Thanks sshsfan .I thought it was a good scrimmage for both teams .I knew it would be a challenge to run straight at South's defense .You always know there will be a stud linebacker or two wearing the blue and South usually has some good size and I wasn't disappointed by this years group. We had to earn it against your best.Maupin reminds me of an old Vol QB Heath Shuler.He is an athlete for sure.Both our RB's are special and have some moves .I think South's best offense will be the power game with all your young skill players .Get a helmet on someone and run it straight at the defense.My prediction is that I don't see a lot of teams that will matchup with you guys well and as the year goes along, you will be a hard team to handle.

New conference. New challenges. Looks like 2 or 3 more years as is then a combination with North and Central at a new high school. A bunch of first year starters on first string looked competitive against a D-B team that will do very well this year in 6A ball. Depth will be an issue. Have a good summer - can't wait for August 21 against Boone.

Edited by RebRaider85

can't wait for August 21 against Boone.

I'll bet you can't wait, over the last 2 years South has won with a combined score of 98-14.  

Other than the Tenn High and Greeneville games South will cakewalk through the rest of them. 

And TH and GHS are certainly winnable games for the Rebs as well.     10-0 anyone??

I have not talked to my brother about the Devils yet,but I do know Greeneville will have some size back and a great 9th grade class coming in.I have a cousin in that class and they are loaded.If your going to get the Devils,it better be before those pups grow up.It's an outside shot and I don't know for sure,  but South vs Greeneville could possibly have two 9th graders starting or atleast playing a bunch at QB.I can't remember that with two good programs in this area.

I have not talked to my brother about the Devils yet,but I do know Greeneville will have some size back and a great 9th grade class coming in.I have a cousin in that class and they are loaded.If your going to get the Devils,it better be before those pups grow up.It's an outside shot and I don't know for sure,  but South vs Greeneville could possibly have two 9th graders starting or atleast playing a bunch at QB.I can't remember that with two good programs in this area.

Hello Dark Knight:  Uh, no.  South will not be starting a freshman at qb.  South will be starting a sophomore at qb this season.  Greeneville, I doubt a FR will start at QB there either, but probable playing time as the HC grooms the boy. 

Batman, as far as the 9th grade "pups" go, from what I hear South's 9th grade class is stacked as well, so I wouldn't start marking the 'W' on the 2017-2018 schedule yet.  I do know Colonial Heights Middle went undefeated last year and couldnt get anyone to play them post season.  Rumor is they have 4 or 5 quality transfers as well, some from in-state and some from elsewhere. 

Regardless, freshman are down the road.  As for this year's Rebels, I was told they looked ok vs DB in the scrimmage.  I doubt either team was using much of the playbook.  I still think the program will dip for two years, but what do I know.  The Rebels have had a way of rising to most occasions.  I do think it will be interesting to see these Rebels, after the exodus of so much graduating talent, and the same at Elizabethton graduating their RB and others.  I do not see a confernce team playing with the Greene Devils for 2 years however.

Hello Dark Knight:  Uh, no.  South will not be starting a freshman at qb.  South will be starting a sophomore at qb this season.  Greeneville, I doubt a FR will start at QB there either, but probable playing time as the HC grooms the boy. 

Batman, as far as the 9th grade "pups" go, from what I hear South's 9th grade class is stacked as well, so I wouldn't start marking the 'W' on the 2017-2018 schedule yet.  I do know Colonial Heights Middle went undefeated last year and couldnt get anyone to play them post season.  Rumor is they have 4 or 5 quality transfers as well, some from in-state and some from elsewhere. 

Regardless, freshman are down the road.  As for this year's Rebels, I was told they looked ok vs DB in the scrimmage.  I doubt either team was using much of the playbook.  I still think the program will dip for two years, but what do I know.  The Rebels have had a way of rising to most occasions.  I do think it will be interesting to see these Rebels, after the exodus of so much graduating talent, and the same at Elizabethton graduating their RB and others.  I do not see a confernce team playing with the Greene Devils for 2 years however.

I don't know what I was thinking on the South QB.He was a 9th grader starting in the scrimmage a few weeks ago,I just didn't let him pass into the 10th grade I guess.The Greeneville QB I was referring to is the coaches son and he is a good one.I just don't know how they will play it this year.As for the young players at South and DB.I didn't think this years incoming 10th grade class at South was that strong when I seen them a few years ago in the 7th grade but that was a while back and no doubt some good changes for them to have the starting QB out of that class.Sounds like your incoming 9th is loaded.This years incoming DB 9th grade group was down a little for RnR and Sevier middle school but together they may become a nice class.The 10th grade is very solid after both middle schools made the championship game a couple years ago.It takes a few players out of every class to build a solid team and it sounds like we are both trying.Time will tell

I thought the 1st string match-up in the D-B - South scrimmage was pretty competitive but when the backups started subbing in the advantage D-B had in depth was evident. That's usually typical when matching up 2000 kids vs 850 kids though. Good scrimmage for both and I'm looking forward to following both teams this fall.

Hey BatMan - did you see the Sullivan Middle team a few years ago? I'd bet that you only saw Colonial Heights. The Sullivan football teams don't usually have big numbers but they have produced several kids that have made an impact at the high school level over the years.

Edited by RebRaider85

I thought the 1st string match-up in the D-B - South scrimmage was pretty competitive but when the backups started subbing in the advantage D-B had in depth was evident. That's usually typical when matching up 2000 kids vs 850 kids though. Good scrimmage for both and I'm looking forward to following both teams this fall.

Hey BatMan - did you see the Sullivan Middle team a few years ago? I'd bet that you only saw Colonial Heights. The Sullivan football teams don't usually have big numbers but they have produced several kids that have made an impact at the high school level over the years.

Yep,I only saw Colonial Heights.Most of the time in the past that I'd seen Colonial Heights,they were very strong.

Hey South, are you guys ready for Boone on August 21?      You better be because I can guarantee the Blazers are going to line it up and hit you square in the mouth.

Meanwhile, back on planet earth.....

But don't worry, it really won't hurt too bad because we just don't have the guys this year to do any real damage.    We just hope that South lost enough to graduation that we can keep it close.

I have not talked to my brother about the Devils yet,but I do know Greeneville will have some size back and a great 9th grade class coming in.I have a cousin in that class and they are loaded.If your going to get the Devils,it better be before those pups grow up.It's an outside shot and I don't know for sure, but South vs Greeneville could possibly have two 9th graders starting or atleast playing a bunch at QB.I can't remember that with two good programs in this area.

Devils had alot of kids missing for spring practice. So many so, that they cancelled the "green n white" game that was suppose to close out spring. I was able to get over to watch practice a couple times though and the new qb is polar opposite of quan harrison. Bigger kid, cannon for an arm, BUT, dont quote me on this, i THINK this will be his first time playing qb.....atleast, i know it will be his first time at this level. I dont think it's any surprise who folks around here are clammoring to see take the snaps for the mean greene, but only Coach B knows when or IF that will be. IMO, cade is gona be a record breaker at GHS, but I wont heap to much praise on him until he records his first TD pass or run. As for this season, I see our O and D lines being the strength of the team, but we've got some great skill players returning and as per usual, the backfield will be well represented and speedy. At this point, I dont have much to offer you in the way of news.In fact, you are probably as much in the know as i am about the Devils. I will still be covering the Devils for youtube this season, but i'll miss a few games, as your niece is now a member of the WG Color Guard....cant wait for the season, hope to be able to see my neph play a game this fall too.