Blue Cross Bowl: Ravenwood vs Maryville

BigDave1967

I haven't posted since the game, but I was down on Maryville's sideline most of this game and GQ never got excited even when down 28-7 in first quarter.  I think swapping QB's was a great idea at that point.  He had told me in a mid-season interview they were a better passing team with that lineup.  Several dropped passes, but there was no berating the kids when they returned to the sideline.  

Donovan Stewart was in the locker room at halftime and he was impressed with how orderly and the business-like approach the staff took to making adjustments.   Coach Quarles and his guys are true professionals and getting that sideline access allowed me to see up close how much those guys care about their kids.  

When Maryville called timeout just prior to the two-point conversion attempt in OT, they knew the play was going to Jefferson.   I don't know if they expected him to be in motion or not, but it certainly appeared they did.   He was covered up and everyone was yelling "watch 2".  I understand going to your best player, but I think using him as a decoy may of been a better option there.

I did agree with Ravenwood going for two.  I would of done the same thing.   Speaking of Ravenwood, man, that team travels well and are definitely the rowdiest bunch I've seen!  They love and support their team as does the Rebel faithful.  What an amazing atmosphere for a football game.  The fans got their money's worth in that one.

The old adage is that to be number 1 you have to beat number 1.  Ravenwood didn't beat number 1, but they gave number 1 all they could handle and with just a touch more luck they would have won it.  That alone makes them number 2 in the state in my book.  Putting them 9 is a disgrace.  Also, I think Oakland is a bit high.  I'd put West above them IMO.  And Brentwood Academy is WAY too high.  Probably would look more like this if I was drafting a ranking:

Maryville

Ravenwood

Fulton

MBA

Ensworth

West

Oakland

Blackman

CPA

Memphis University

It isn't easy to draft because of classes, but I think the work some teams do make them more deserving of higher rankings, even if they don't have the same depth as other schools.

I just wanted to give Defensive Coach Jimmy Gaylor some Props , yes our Defense was shell Shocked in the First Quarter , but to go the next 3 Quarters and Completely shut out a Team we thought might score 60 on us .... Wow . Whether it was mental adjustments or Schematic , I'm not even sure , probably a little bit of both . Coach Quarles , rightfully so , gets a lot of Praise and recognition , but George will be the first one to tell you how Valuable his Coaching Staff is . 

Thanks Coach Gaylor , job well done !!!

I just wanted to give Defensive Coach Jimmy Gaylor some Props , yes our Defense was shell Shocked in the First Quarter , but to go the next 3 Quarters and Completely shut out a Team we thought might score 60 on us .... Wow . Whether it was mental adjustments or Schematic , I'm not even sure , probably a little bit of both . Coach Quarles , rightfully so , gets a lot of Praise and recognition , but George will be the first one to tell you how Valuable his Coaching Staff is . 

Thanks Coach Gaylor , job well done !!!

Ellis too!! I think he is one of the huge reasons Maryville has the success that they have. Without the blocking of his OL year in and year out Maryville couldn't do the things that they do on offense. Ellis is a treasure for Maryville High School. First time I have really been on here since the game and I just wanted to offer a humble congratulations to Maryville and their fans from an ORidger. Y'all continue to be the program every other fan and team envision themselves being like. Way to go to all of my Maryville friends on here. Each and every one of you I have met and dealt with the last few years have made a lasting impression on SS. So, from your OR buddy, congratulations!!!!

Ellis too!! I think he is one of the huge reasons Maryville has the success that they have. Without the blocking of his OL year in and year out Maryville couldn't do the things that they do on offense. Ellis is a treasure for Maryville High School. First time I have really been on here since the game and I just wanted to offer a humble congratulations to Maryville and their fans from an ORidger. Y'all continue to be the program every other fan and team envision themselves being like. Way to go to all of my Maryville friends on here. Each and every one of you I have met and dealt with the last few years have made a lasting impression on SS. So, from your OR buddy, congratulations!!!!

Thank you SS. You are a class act. Good luck next season to the Wildcats! I hope to watch them in Cookeville!