Trousdale County 2015

I am going with under dog Scott Hughes. Anyone who can take Monterey to the semi finals gets my vote. Previous to this year, Monterey had never even one aa playoff game in school history. He would do wonders with TC talent and support.

I'm hearing from inside sources that Hughes is a favorite. I think he's a good coach, but I'm wondering if alot of things came together at the right time for him this year. Better than normal talent and weaker competition plus some decent coaching may have made him look better than he was. It's just my theory.

I'm hearing from inside sources that Hughes is a favorite. I think he's a good coach, but I'm wondering if alot of things came together at the right time for him this year. Better than normal talent and weaker competition plus some decent coaching may have made him look better than he was. It's just my theory.

I will say this again. Happy for Monterey that they made it to the semifinals but look at it like this. Monterey was in a highly contested game with Copper Basin whom was in a last possession wins type game with SP who was absolutely horrible. You are exactly right Croz. The east in 1A in 2014 was the weakest it has ever been. Edited by TheAmbassador

east 1a was weak, thats a given. But your talking about a program with no home field, no school, worked out in the back of the save-a-lot warehouse. And I think there have been several Monterey teams with more talent in the past. What he did with the program was incredible. Plus, i think he is the only candidate in the final 5 with head coaching exp. Not to mention his wife can coach basketball....was all OVC at TTU in early 2000's' that might have some play to. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

east 1a was weak, thats a given. But your talking about a program with no home field, no school, worked out in the back of the save-a-lot warehouse. And I think there have been several Monterey teams with more talent in the past. What he did with the program was incredible. Plus, i think he is the only candidate in the final 5 with head coaching exp. Not to mention his wife can coach basketball....was all OVC at TTU in early 2000's' that might have some play to.

I didn't say they didn't have struggles, but that was definitely a way above average team, talent wise, for Monterey. I see them every year, and I know. They had a few 3 year starters on that team, and I think one or two were 4 year starters.

Also, Hughes is not the only one with coaching experience. Barger coached at Lake County while his wife coached boy basketball. She took them to the state tournament, so she can coach basketball, too.

Besides, one year of head coaching experience in 1A doesn't amount to much.

I would give a coordinator position at 3A and 4A schools as much or more credit.

Look, I'm not saying he's not a good coach. I'm saying he hit a perfect storm last year to reach the semi's, which made him look better.

I didn't say they didn't have struggles, but that was definitely a way above average team, talent wise, for Monterey. I see them every year, and I know. They had a few 3 year starters on that team, and I think one or two were 4 year starters.

Also, Hughes is not the only one with coaching experience. Barger coached at Lake County while his wife coached boy basketball. She took them to the state tournament, so she can coach basketball, too.

Besides, one year of head coaching experience in 1A doesn't amount to much.

I would give a coordinator position at 3A and 4A schools as much or more credit.

Look, I'm not saying he's not a good coach. I'm saying he hit a perfect storm last year to reach the semi's, which made him look better.

1A was very uncharacteristicly weak last season on the East side.  No doubt!

Edited by FreeAgent11

Besides, one year of head coaching experience in 1A doesn't amount to much.

I can agree some what. I still stand by seeing better teams talent wise fielded at Monterey in the past. I think they lost week two 34-6 to a very average UHS team. After that, he circled the wagons and hit magic. He also coached several years in 6a at Cookeville with Joslin. I have no connection with Hughes, or with TC....just think he would be a great young coach for Clint to hire and mold.

You got that right. It was the weakest I have ever seen it. It won't be a lot stronger this year. Oneida brings a decent team to the east, but it will again be weak.

thats what you get sometimes when you water it down to 6 classes. I Hope if they ever do a split with the privates, we go back to a 4 class system for the publics.

I can agree some what. I still stand by seeing better teams talent wise fielded at Monterey in the past. I think they lost week two 34-6 to a very average UHS team. After that, he circled the wagons and hit magic. He also coached several years in 6a at Cookeville with Joslin. I have no connection with Hughes, or with TC....just think he would be a great young coach for Clint to hire and mold.

That average Upperman team would've beaten the teams Monterey beat this year and that's not typically the case.

Like I said, I don't doubt Hughes is a good coach. I just think the circumstances made him look better.

From what I'm hearing, he's got a very good chance at that job.