State pick 'em

Ijustdontunderstand

I for one I did not feel the officiating was bad or even biased! IMO, it was terrible! The official has the best seat in the house and should officiate as if he were in his lazyboy watching the match in HD. Too many times the officials are looking to call something to show everyone how much they know and that they belong in the state tournament. They would be much better served by taking a "CHILL PILL" and just calling what is very obvious. If the official has any thoughts of if it is the proper call they should swallow their whistle.

I feel you on that one. Let the kids decide the match unless it was blatant and obvious. That was my point about the one ref in the d2 match, he called stalling when it shouldn't have been and then let it slide when it was obvious. I thought the other refs called it like it should have been and let the kids decide it on the mat. I missed the end of Kramers match, what happened in it? I looked back and they were raising the Cleveland wrestlers hand. Did they call stalling in overtime or was I misinformed.

Oh no doubt, both teams had matches where their goal was to not get pinned. 

This is what is wrong with a dual meet state tournament. Something seems very wrong with trying to just not get pinned. Can't blame the kid because they are only doing what they are coached to do. Stalling is encouraged and even praised so long as a wrestler just doesn't get pinned. This goes completely contrary to the object of the sport. And NO fan wants to watch someone stalling just so they don't get pinned.

It also puts the referees in a very bad predicament.

Edited by Newestguy

Stalling has been a serious issue in TN wrestling for a while. Especially on bottom, can't tell you how many times I've watched a wrestler lay on bottom for the majority of the match making no effort to improve his position while the top guy constantly works for a turn just to be called for stalling himself. The wrestlers use this strategy all the time even at state and the refs allow it.

AAA and AA both those matches did not have that big of an issue with stalling, but D2 did and here are some weight classes are thought were very badly called.

106: The baylor kid got called a few times, but not nearly as much as it should have been called it was clear this wrestler went out there with 0 intentions of an offensive move.

113: The baylor kid did not attempt an offensive move. Which was to be expected since they were winning the team match by 6, but regardless if the kid is stalling call it.

126: The ref called the FR kid for stalling after he had made an attempt to shoot. Must be the same ref that called the match a few years ago when a wrestler kept shooting and got called for stalling that sent it into to overtime. Don't understand that logic.

160: Did the FR kid even try to improve any position he was in at all?

220: Although the FR kid did back up out of bounds when the Baylor kid got underhooks where was the Baylor kids offensive attempts? I believe there were none, so why call the FR kid for stalling when the Baylor kid didn't attempt anything with the underhooks.

Regardless i do understand you can't blame the refs. I just think stalling should be called more in TN, but in a better way. Congrats to Baylor and Cleveland both wrestled their tails off and looked impressive. 

Edited by westernwrestler

Stalling has been a serious issue in TN wrestling for a while. Especially on bottom, can't tell you how many times I've watched a wrestler lay on bottom for the majority of the match making no effort to improve his position while the top guy constantly works for a turn just to be called for stalling himself. The wrestlers use this strategy all the time even at state and the refs allow it.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Edited by mat73557

Congrats to Cleveland, they were the better team against WC. However, in the 220 Kramer match, the Cleveland kid took so many steps back, I thought he had his singlet on backwards. If he had been in a straight line he could have walked backwards to Cleveland. Worst officiating I have ever witnessed.  Made no difference, Cleveland still wins, however stalling was called so inconsistent over the weekend. Kramer won state last year where another kid did the same thing but was hit with 3 stalling calls in the 3rd period. Freestyle rules, point for backing out of bounds? I dont know, but I did see one AAU ref in the stands that couldn't believe that match, need more consistency for sure.

Congrats to Cleveland, they were the better team against WC. However, in the 220 Kramer match, the Cleveland kid took so many steps back, I thought he had his singlet on backwards. If he had been in a straight line he could have walked backwards to Cleveland. Worst officiating I have ever witnessed. Made no difference, Cleveland still wins, however stalling was called so inconsistent over the weekend. Kramer won state last year where another kid did the same thing but was hit with 3 stalling calls in the 3rd period. Freestyle rules, point for backing out of bounds? I dont know, but I did see one AAU ref in the stands that couldn't believe that match, need more consistency for sure.

Calm down guys, we all know that the officials have some pressure too, but it's not like it's the first time Clevelands 220 has beaten The WC kid.

Congrats to Cleveland and to Baylor. Special mention to both Wilson Central and Father Ryan for making the finals in both AAA and DII close, exciting matches.

Father Ryan and Baylor wrestled three times this year. Baylor won by 7, then by 5, then by 2 last night. Kudos to both programs.

Wilson Central really took steps forward with an impressive showing and more than atoned for last year's final. This year's rematch with Cleveland had ebbs and flows, with both teams having leads throughout.

I thought the atmosphere at the Cow Palace was better than expected, but I still would like to see it moved to a facility more favorable to wrestlers. If health and safety are actually important, as they should be, then having finals all day when the closest showers are literally miles away is just crazy.

It won't happen, but still.......

• Upvote 1

Congrats to Cleveland and to Baylor. Special mention to both Wilson Central and Father Ryan for making the finals in both AAA and DII close, exciting matches.

Father Ryan and Baylor wrestled three times this year. Baylor won by 7, then by 5, then by 2 last night. Kudos to both programs.

Wilson Central really took steps forward with an impressive showing and more than atoned for last year's final. This year's rematch with Cleveland had ebbs and flows, with both teams having leads throughout.

I thought the atmosphere at the Cow Palace was better than expected, but I still would like to see it moved to a facility more favorable to wrestlers. If health and safety are actually important, as they should be, then having finals all day when the closest showers are literally miles away is just crazy.

It won't happen, but still.......

Does anybody have the attendance records before and after the move to its current location. Just wondering. Or do you even think TSSAA cares about it.