Who does the rankings?

natureboy130

Personally I don't think rankings matter from a competitor stand point because at the end of the year an athlete has to beat the best to prevail and get to the top of the podium at the state tournament anyway. 

BUT, I have not competed in a little while now, and I try to keep up with what all goes on around the state. Just so I can see the best match ups and know what to look for at the State Tournament. I know in seeding meetings that I have personally sat in coaches will say "my kid is the #3 kid in the state he should be on the other side of the bracket blah blah blah"

Importance

• Seeding - Which can bump out some (Should be Finals Match ups)
  • Mentally - A kid can beat 3 or more ranked kids and not see any improvement on the ranking board, and can mentally have doubts or wrestle with a chip on his shoulder
  • End of the Year Bumping - If a kid is the #1 ranked kid at a weight and drops or goes up or has a certain match up with a STUD and not only beats him but controls him the entire match, how is that not recognized for end of the year rankings? From a spectator standpoint.            

Colton Landers beat the breaks off of the Wilson Central kid at 132, and will be competing at 126 but has no recognition. One doesn't simply beat the number 2 kid in a higher weight class just to drop to a lower weight class for no reason. This kid must be tough!

Point being made, is there a standard for how these rankings are put together, one persons opinion, or several people discussing? I really appreciate the work that is done please don't take this wrong, but I think some are questionable. Is this favoritism or facts?

*Colton is an example this is not a Cleveland parent wanting something for their little angel!*

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at 126 rankings on Pin TN, I would say arguably he is in the right spot:

1. Knox Fuller, Bradley (2014 State Champ 120)

2. Devan Cyree, Tullahoma (2014 6th @ 120 - lost 9-8 SV to Fuller in Semis and forfeited out for injury)

3. Nick Crawford, Heritage (2014 State Runner-up @113)

4. Kyle Htoo, Overton (2014 5th @ 126)

5. Zach Wilkins, Mt. Juilet (2014 6th @ 126)

6. Colton Landers, Cleveland (Did not place / did not compete - why don't remember)

I don't think it is outrageous to have the kids who placed last year still in front of Landers. There is very little separating the top 6 generally in rankings and usually state placers, since they have already accomplished this difficult task, get greater favor in rankings to one that has not. Would he have placed @ 106 last year? I have no doubt, but that can't be considered. He beat Dickeson 6-4 from what the results show. No doubt a good win, but not nearly what I would call beating the brakes off of. Now personally, I could see him ranked anywhere from 3 to 6, but not above Fuller or Cyree. Just my opinion.

Rankings are hard to do and easy to criticize, but that is what they are there for - to spark interest and conversation along with creating scrutiny. In the end rankings have no meaning - its the result of the tournament that matters.

If your asking about rankings, taking into consideration it's just a topic of discussion cause everyone knows that you have to win on the mat not on the Internet to be named Champion, then yeah he might not be in the right place unless the person doing the rankings thinks that 126 is tougher than 132 and top 6 it might be. I'm hearing the Wilson Central wrestler Landers beat is going 138 not 132. They are just rankings but I understand what your saying. He also beat the younger Cyree earlier in the season and I think he was ranked also. Landers has quality wins in 4 different weights for Cleveland this year. That in itself shows he can wrestle well against most. Should be interesting. You know what I'm saying.

Edited by anotherback

Either way if the WC kid wrestles 132 or 138 it doesn't look good lol. 132 he will more than likely wrestle debien who has dominated him in the past. If he wrestles 138 he will wrestle Taylor who wrestled 145 all year and is beast or the kid from Blackman whom is a animal. Not saying the WC kid isn't worthy but I think he may be a overrated

Im so sick of coming on this board and seeing grown men call a child an overrated wrestler.

Rankings are one persons opinion on things, if you dont like them do your own so you dont have to complain. Btw, the rankings are done by the WC coach so your "hearing rumors" are being thwarted by the coach himself on the rankings. 

You guys all have to take a step back and realize THEY'RE HIGH SCHOOL CHILDREN, and they see this. So eveytime you get on and start to type something remember they can see it. Think back to when you were in hs, back to the stone age. Think if the technology was available and you got on here and saw someone saying that YOU were overrated and not deserving of being ranked how would you feel...seriously, you guys are ridiculous.

Not complaining at all. Its my opinion, just being real. It's a message board and we are all fans of the sport. I'm not bad mouthing anyone at all, just simply stating an opinion because that's what 95% of a ranking thread is about. No need in getting all political and upset. And yes I know hamm does the ranking and does a good job. But when u up rankings u, u expect a debate that's the way it's supposed to be. These kids are in high school and aren't in preschool, if something that they read on here hurts their feelings, then they are in the wrong sport. If anything it should motivate them. Again this is my opinion and no disrespect to anyone or any school

Edited by fooseball96

Looking at 126 rankings on Pin TN, I would say arguably he is in the right spot:

1. Knox Fuller, Bradley (2014 State Champ 120)

2. Devan Cyree, Tullahoma (2014 6th @ 120 - lost 9-8 SV to Fuller in Semis and forfeited out for injury)

3. Nick Crawford, Heritage (2014 State Runner-up @113)

4. Kyle Htoo, Overton (2014 5th @ 126)

5. Zach Wilkins, Mt. Juilet (2014 6th @ 126)

6. Colton Landers, Cleveland (Did not place / did not compete - why don't remember)

I don't think it is outrageous to have the kids who placed last year still in front of Landers. There is very little separating the top 6 generally in rankings and usually state placers, since they have already accomplished this difficult task, get greater favor in rankings to one that has not. Would he have placed @ 106 last year? I have no doubt, but that can't be considered. He beat Dickeson 6-4 from what the results show. No doubt a good win, but not nearly what I would call beating the brakes off of. Now personally, I could see him ranked anywhere from 3 to 6, but not above Fuller or Cyree. Just my opinion.

Rankings are hard to do and easy to criticize, but that is what they are there for - to spark interest and conversation along with creating scrutiny. In the end rankings have no meaning - its the result of the tournament that matters.

and IMO it's not that Colton doesn't deserve to be higher, it's that the other 5 don't deserve to be lower. I would probably have him at 4, behind Knox, Devan, and Nick only because he has a win over Dickeson and I don't think Wilkins does, and he has beaten better competition than Htoo. That's just my opinion Edited by Bump11