Riverdale throwing game

ecu

I am sure this type of thing happens from time to time.  There is no way it doesn't.  The problem with this situation was the blatancy with which it was done on both sides.  Usually a coach can get away with "losing" a game by making or not making a substituting or two.  The kids have no idea that the coach doesn't mind losing.  In this case, both sets of kids had to be involved.  It is a terrible lesson and example to be set!

I agree that what happened on saturday was horrible. I was at the game it was the worst display i had ever seen! Im glad i don't have a child representing either of these programs. With that said i have to say there has been untruths about what happened in the game Sat. First born teams startes their starters....yes Riverdale was in a 2 3 zone but for Middleton to say that's why he pulled his starters is ridiculous. Smryna pulled their starters first then Riverdale pulled theirs. The girls left on the floor for smryna were showing No defense at all... Neither team were showing any offense. In the 3rd quarter it was even worse... Smyrna would foul and Riverdale would miss free throws. Smryna would get the ball to throw in and try not to do it...if they did get the ball in they would not go over the half court line... Thus giving the ball to Riverdale who would throw it around and then get fouled by smryna..miss free throw... Now in the third quarter Smryna turned to shoot the ball in Riverdales basket..that is when the ref spoke to the coaches... In the 4th quarter with 4 min left knowing his team was going to win Middleton put his starters back in. Kreager saying that he listened to the ref is totally not true!!! Both teams are at fault!!! I just found it bad that most every body is just blaming Riverdale..i mean look at the title of this forum...it was a terrible display but it was two team not just one

Edited by basketballtruth

Wow.....Lets get the story from someone who was actually at the game! Smyrna cleared its bench when the score was 22-21 early in the second quarter. Both teams had a joined total of 9 3’s.......so the lie that is was only done because Riverdale was not scoring needs to stop being told. Next Smyrna did everything from intentional back court violations, fouling, and even getting lane violations to add another free throw. Finally, after Smyrna made an attempt at Riverdale’s basket, the refs pulled both coaches to say they were not going to allow that to happen. Riverdale did miss free throws and hold the ball. But giving “Middleton and the Lady Bulldogs credit†is unbelievable! Yep, he did put his starters back in (with a little more than 4 minutes left in the 4th), but it wasn’t after the conversation with the refs at the beginning of the third! I was after his attempt to LOSE failed. Both coaches are responsible! Stating for the paper that you are “not going to make a mockery of the game†should be embarrassed after you already done so. I have much more respect for a coach that stands by his decision…right or wrong. Not for a coach that starts the fire, then when the mics come out….he acts as if he doesn’t know what happened, smelling like gasoline…..

Wow.....Lets get the story from someone who was actually at the game! Smyrna cleared its bench when the score was 22-21 early in the second quarter. Both teams had a joined total of 9 3’s.......so the lie that is was only done because Riverdale was not scoring needs to stop being told. Next Smyrna did everything from intentional back court violations, fouling, and even getting lane violations to add another free throw. Finally, after Smyrna made an attempt at Riverdale’s basket, the refs pulled both coaches to say they were not going to allow that to happen. Riverdale did miss free throws and hold the ball. But giving “Middleton and the Lady Bulldogs credit†is unbelievable! Yep, he did put his starters back in (with a little more than 4 minutes left in the 4th), but it wasn’t after the conversation with the refs at the beginning of the third! I was after his attempt to LOSE failed. Both coaches are responsible! Stating for the paper that you are “not going to make a mockery of the game†should be embarrassed after you already done so. I have much more respect for a coach that stands by his decision…right or wrong. Not for a coach that starts the fire, then when the mics come out….he acts as if he doesn’t know what happened, smelling like gasoline…..

Sadly now the kids have to suffer for two coaches' mistakes! I feel terrible for the players, especially the seniors!

First, I can't believe a school like Riverdale is afraid to play a cross town rival. When my daughter was a sophomore at Bradley, Cleveland girls were ranked high. I wanted us to lose consolation to be out of their bracket. However, Jack Harlow, one of the best coaches in the state refused to lose a game. Long story short, we met Cleveland in semi finals and we WON. Coach Harlow showed faith in his girls and it paid off. (There aren't very many coaches as classy as Harlow). On the flip side of that, I watched a Rhea County boys team in 2004 that would never beat Bradley boys. Rhea County throw the game to Cleveland as I watched Aaron Green go ballistic. It paid off for Rhea, because they won substrate and played in state tourney. I am not a fan of throwing a game, but TSSAA needs to look closely at their rules and the way the handle postseason to avoid this happening.

Edited by tnwareagle