Riverdale throwing game

ecu

Cannot believe there are people on here defending what happened in the game Saturday. Losing in sports is not a strategy. When you as a coach tell your team we are going to throw this game because we can't beat Blackman, you have immediately lost the respect of the players. Also, you just disrespected the game you claim to love. You can claim it is strategy to move farther to win a state championship, but I think you have a much better chance to beat Blackman by telling your team let's do this the right way and win this game and then go on and beat Blackman now and keep them out of the state tournament. Again, losing is never a strategy. You guys can spin it any way you want, but at the end of the day Riverdale and Smyrna lost any chance of winning a state championship by their actions on Saturday. They just gave their teams a terrible mentality moving forward. Sad that these "good" coaches can't see that there were a whole lot more negatives that came out of what they did than positive. So much of sports is mentality.

You guys are working solely off emotion and that does not win cases in the long run. Yall are being no different than vigilantes looking to string someone up because you don't like what they did, although the person broke no law. What matters is the rules that are in writing and that TSSAA school members agreed to play by and were the rules broken. If written rules were not broken, then you cannot punish. It is simple as that....black and white. Punishing someone because you just don't like their actions or their program although they broke no rules/laws is why our country is in the mess it is today. If it ain't in writing....it ain't real. Find a TSSAA rule broken then come back.

funny how warrior fan is the only one defending riverdale on here.the tssaa might not do anything about it but i bet they keep a close eye on them in recruiting from now on after this mockery. been going on for years. also, warriorfan you have already got them penciled in for a silver ball. you have to beat not only tullahuma first.then oakland which will not happen. lose to blackman. then beat white co. or crossville or bradley which may not happen either. good luck.

90Warrior...No one has penciled anyone in for a silver ball. I never stated that. I have stated bracket strategy and that they have to get thru tullahoma and Oakland. I also stated they have to advance to get to the state championship. You are mistaken.

So what if I see things differently than you or others and defend my beliefs. Neither Riverdale or Coach Barrett need me to defend them. I speak for myself and my opinion only. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and thoughts. If you always have to be in the majority opinion without voicing your own, it says much about a person. There are many viewpoints on topics, and one answer of the majority isn't always the only answer or even the correct answer. It is best to think openly and for yourself rather than blend in with the crowd just because it is the easiest answer to defend and to make others feel stupid. Do you guys have some validity on your side? Yes. Do I have some validity on my side which appears to be the unpopular view? Yes.

Edited by WarriorFan

You guys are working solely off emotion and that does not win cases in the long run. Yall are being no different than vigilantes looking to string someone up because you don't like what they did, although the person broke no law. What matters is the rules that are in writing and that TSSAA school members agreed to play by and were the rules broken. If written rules were not broken, then you cannot punish. It is simple as that....black and white. Punishing someone because you just don't like their actions or their program although they broke no rules/laws is why our country is in the mess it is today. If it ain't in writing....it ain't real. Find a TSSAA rule broken then come back.

You're right, my position is based on emotion, as is the game. Your coach just cheated his team out of the opportunity to do something great for themselves...win this game, then go beat the favorites. It's fairly common for teams who've lost twice in the regular season to beat that same team in the tournament...the team that I support has done just that many times, and there's not many scenario's in sports to top the feeling, nor the momentum gained from it. Go ask the young ladies on the team how they feel from purposefully losing to a team that they felt they could beat in order to avoid another opponent. If they can hold their heads up and look you in the eye long enough to answer, I'll bet that you won't find that they are happy about it. It's the cowards way out, plain and simple, and if they survive to face Blackman later, good luck selling them on the idea that you believe they will win if you're the coach.

What needs to happen is to do away with the District Tournament. Whomever wins the conference would be deemed District/Conference Champions. Only send the top two teams from each District to the Regionals. If there are any ties for 1 or 2, then have some criteria in place for tie breakers. This way, every game is also important during the regular season.

Edited by dogtruth

What needs to happen is to do away with the District Tournament. Whomever wins the conference would be deemed District/Conference Champions. Only send the top two teams from each District to the Regionals. If there are any ties for 1 or 2, then have some criteria in place for tie breakers. This way, every game is also important during the regular season.

Each district game is already important...determines seeding for the tourney. Cancelling the tournament format would just rob the good coaches and teams with the heart to compete of the chance to advance, or improve their regional seeding. The system works as it is,you can't print rules to eliminate the human equation...the same tactic could be used to avoid a particular opponent in the regional rounds, or even sectionals.

You're right, my position is based on emotion, as is the game. Your coach just cheated his team out of the opportunity to do something great for themselves...win this game, then go beat the favorites. It's fairly common for teams who've lost twice in the regular season to beat that same team in the tournament...the team that I support has done just that many times, and there's not many scenario's in sports to top the feeling, nor the momentum gained from it. Go ask the young ladies on the team how they feel from purposefully losing to a team that they felt they could beat in order to avoid another opponent. If they can hold their heads up and look you in the eye long enough to answer, I'll bet that you won't find that they are happy about it. It's the cowards way out, plain and simple, and if they survive to face Blackman later, good luck selling them on the idea that you believe they will win if you're the coach.

i can assure you...they trust their coach. Riverdale doesnt view themselves as underdogs against any team including Blackman this year. You talk like Riverdale has never played a big time program and this is their first rodeo. Go look at this years schedule as well as past years. They have played many big time programs and don't back away. They seek out the best teams in the US year end and year out. One of the most storied programs in the country and an easy team to hate on. They might take a different path but they don't back down. Edited by WarriorFan

LOL... Riverdale is a powerhouse, yes... No debate there. The problem is, this powerhouse backed down and took the easy way out. How do you play this game an have the Riverdale pledge hanging on the wall?... If people are okay with this going on in your program and community, then it speaks volume of the Riverdale community as well.

Edited by GCPioneer

Doing away with the district tourney and advancing based on the regular season district seeding would in many cases eliminate the best team in the district at the end of the regular season. Many well coached younger teams, who start the season with losses, continue to improve as the season progresses and are the best team in the district at the end of the regular season. Doing away with the district tourney in some cases, would leave the best team,( at that point in the season) home, penalizing them because they happen to be in a rebuilding year.