Riverdale throwing game

ecu

Unfortunately, this is only one example of the lack of integrity by a few coaches, parents.  Their are many issues in high school athletics that need attention.  Just to name a few: schools recruiting, parents shopping kids to different schools, parents moving kids to other schools when their kid isn't getting enough time and hype, etc., etc., etc.  These are problems initiated by adults, not students.  It's shameful.

I guess Riverdale will get their day with Blackman and Oakland.....next year.   

Good luck to the Blaze and the Patriots as they represent 7-AAA in the State Tournament.

Really??? The past two years that was what was "assumed," but those two teams had to come to Bradley. One of those will probably be coming to Bradley once again. Nobody gave BC a chance either of the two years.

This is poor examples of coaching and sportsmanship. Both coaches proved they do not have the basketballs to lead these two teams. The little video I saw was hard to watch. What self respecting coach would allow that to happen?

If the schools had a chance to punish these coaches and allow the girls to continue their season and didn't....well, then thats back on the schools and I hope these schools and coaches hear about this for years to come.

Really??? The past two years that was what was "assumed," but those two teams had to come to Bradley. One of those will probably be coming to Bradley once again. Nobody gave BC a chance either of the two years.

I've seen Bradley Central play this year. You guys are no where near last years BC team. Don't kid yourself. You lost 2 DI posts. Not saying you aren't good but u will not beat Blackman or Oakland. Your road to the tourney did tho just get easier. Edited by WarriorFan

A lot of first round region games especially in girls dont have big crowds. If it anything going to 3 or 2 would hurt a district like 7AAA or 8AA which usually has several good to very good teams. I dont many who would want a bye in a 3 team group when they often havent played for a week or longer.

I don't want to read 23 pages of this topic, so if what I am about to say is repetitive, please forgive me. As I understand it, the loser of this game would have been in the opposite bracket from Blackmon High. I like the NCAA model. Or the Kentucky or Indiana high school model. The loser goes home. I think Kentucky has the best tournament. All schools, no matter what size are in at the beginning. Districts established according to geography. The two semi-finalists advance to the next round. That game is played for seeding. The next round (region) is single elimination. The state (16 teams - blind draw) is single elimination.

I don't want to read 23 pages of this topic, so if what I am about to say is repetitive, please forgive me. As I understand it, the loser of this game would have been in the opposite bracket from Blackmon High. I like the NCAA model. Or the Kentucky or Indiana high school model. The loser goes home. I think Kentucky has the best tournament. All schools, no matter what size are in at the beginning. Districts established according to geography. The two semi-finalists advance to the next round. That game is played for seeding. The next round (region) is single elimination. The state (16 teams - blind draw) is single elimination.

Kentucky has the best set up. We have two many teams advancing and way way too many classifications.

I disagree with 'Warriorfan's' position on this subject, but he has every right to his opinion. He has earned my respect for 'sticking to and defending his position' throughout this discussion. I think it's admirable for anyone to stay with something they  truly believe in, even if everyone else is opposed. My hat's off to you 'Warriorfan' even though we have differing opinions on this subject!

I didn’t believe anybody could defend the opinion of WarriorFan.  I was wrong.  I haven't posted in a while and really haven't followed the forums for some time, but after reading what happened in the Riverdale-Smyrna game, I jumped on CoachT to see what was being said.  When I read WarriorFan's ridiculous defense of Coach Barrett's (and Coach Middleton, by association) "strategy", I shrugged it off as an immature rant by some clueless freshman or sophomore.  Reading on, I was dumbfounded to discover it was an immature rant by a clueless parent.  Huh.  

I don't think I can add anything to what’s already been posted but I do have to say that I have coached for over 30 years and have never even thought about trying to lose a game.  I cannot imagine the looks of disbelief and disappointment I undoubtedly would have gotten from my young men if I had.   I have to believe these young ladies must have felt this same disappointment in their own coach’s when they were told to go out and lose the game.  These coaches have been entrusted by the administration and parents of their respective schools to teach their children, not only the skills of basketball, but also how to work with others, be honorable, respect authority, and deal with adversity.  Although WarriorFan says that no rule was broken, I am not so sure.  The Rutherford County Coach’s Code of Ethics (found here) clearly states the expectations of coaches, which were clearly not met.  Although you can argue that a rule may not have been broken, you might have trouble arguing a contract was not broken.  Please take a minute to read this excerpt from the Rutherford County Schools 'Coach's Code of Ethics':

The coach must be aware that he or she occupies a position of great influence on the education of a student-athlete and therefore should never place the value of winning above the value of instilling the highest ideals of character. Coaches must uphold the honor and dignity of their position. In all contacts with student-athletes, officials, school administrators, competitors and the public, coaches shall set an example of the highest ethical and moral conduct.

While I applaud the TSSAA decision for banning these two coaches from further tournament participation, I am sorry for the girls, for their season is also ended.  I ask the coaches, “Was it worth it?â€

I expect the administration of both Smyrna and Riverdale to review the behavior of their coaches.  I don’t know what action will be taken but, if in their position, I would have serious reservations about ever allowing these two men to be the de facto role model for any young person under my watch again.

Edited by dawbsitw

I didn’t believe anybody could defend the opinion of WarriorFan.  I was wrong.  I haven't posted in a while and really haven't followed the forums for some time, but after reading what happened in the Riverdale-Smyrna game, I jumped on CoachT to see what was being said.  When I read WarriorFan's ridiculous defense of Coach Barrett's (and Coach Middleton, by association) "strategy", I shrugged it off as an immature rant by some clueless freshman or sophomore.  Reading on, I was dumbfounded to discover it was an immature rant by a clueless parent.  Huh.  

...... I cannot imagine the looks of disbelief and disappointment I undoubtedly would have gotten from my young men if I had.   I have to believe these young ladies must have felt this same disappointment in their own coach’s when they were told to go out and lose the game. 

Wow Coach..... you are so mature yourself that you name call.... :rolleyes:   People have differences of opinion.  You would be surprised that there are many more like me that feel the same, but don't voice it here bc they dont want to get kicked in the teeth in forums by folks like yourself who bully others for having differing views.  I just left a whole set of Riverdale parents and players that have the same feelings as myself.  I can assure you that the kids are fine and the 3/4 of the kids and parents I talked with wouldn't change a thing on what happened.  Riverdale will be on a serious mission next year for the Gold Ball and will probably be back as the favorite again for years to come.  We back our coaches as a family.

What is done is done.  The TSSAA spoke and it appears the schools will take their reprimands.  We should now concentrate on cheering on our 7-AAA teams that are still in the hunt.

Edited by WarriorFan