Riverdale throwing game

ecu

The ignorant, self-serving, overly PRIDEFUL nature of WarriorFan is absolutely jarring, but not shocking. I, too, have been around high school athletics as a coach and an administrator and 99 times out of 100 it's the adults that ruin it.

This blind, unerring devotion to a program that clearly lacks integrity, dignity, and self-respect is very disappointing and is the primary reason why I left a decade of high school athletics.

To blame the system is short-sighted and, frankly, irresponsible.

Do you blame the speed limit if you are caught speeding?

Do you blame the test you failed if you didn't study for it?

Here's an unpopular opinion for WarriorFan, or it would be unpopular in the 3/4 group of Riverdale supporters. How about the coach apologizing to the school for his actions? How about every one of those players apologizing to their teachers and classmates for disrespecting the name on the FRONT of the jersey? How about the Athletic Director (or game administrator, whichever was present for this farce) apologize to every parent for embarrassing their community with the worst display of sportsmanship I've ever seen in this state? That goes for Smyrna as well, but they don't seem to be suffering from the same delusions of grandeur that immature Riverdale supporters are.

I can't believe you just said that you wouldn't change a thing. So what are you people teaching your children? At least you have to suffer the consequences of your pathetic actions. If I were the principal the coach would be looking for another job. When ESPN carries a story like this it disgraces what use to be a reputable program. What was done is wrong and I am sorry the girls have adults telling them it was ok according to what you just said.

They are teaching their children to win no matter what.

Who are we kidding here. The principals and ADs are as much to blame as the coaches in this situation. Did they just sit and watch this happen? If they did, then they are also responsible for it.

If they were not there, the question would be why were they not there. The principals should have been there and they should have stopped this at the point in the game that it became obvious what was taking place. Had I been the administrator at either of these schools, I would have gone to the bench and made it clear to my head coach that continuing to play in this manner would result in him being removed from his coaching position.

I just left a whole set of Riverdale parents and players that have the same feelings as myself.  I can assure you that the kids are fine and the 3/4 of the kids and parents I talked with wouldn't change a thing on what happened.

Then this speaks volumes about the school, the parents, and the kids.......and not in a good way. When these two teams take the court next year, they should have a scarlet "Q" on theit uniforms for "Quitters". Same for the parents and coach.

I totally agree. Next year when this is what happens, all Riverdale needs to say is we play to win! The

misconception here is that the girls knew they were going to be coached to lose the game. I know for a

FACT this is not true. The girls didn’t know “they were supposed to loseâ€. The coach decided that it

would not be in the team’s best interest to win that game. Coach Barrett has taken full responsibility.

Our girls follow their coaches to victory and sometimes defeat. Whether intentionally or

unintentionally……either way it’s not the girls fault. I was in disbelief that Childress held the girls

responsible in the news report. He should have made sure he had the facts before making such a harsh

judgment. Anyone that believes the girls should have over thrown the coach, in the middle of a game

situation, that they unknowingly walked in the middle of…. is delusional and unrealistic. If there is

blame, it needs to be placed on the coaches, AD, and principals who didn’t stop it! Not the girls, who in

my opinion took the brunt of the punishment so far. These girls worked years for this moment.

Now I say it’s in the hands of all those who hooped and hollered for “justiceâ€, because it has not been

served. But why so quiet??? Did you get what you wanted? To be honest, most of the fuss was from a

school, if Riverdale is out of the tournament, they have a cake walk to the state. T$$AA can you judge

yourself as harshly and swiftly as you judged these girls? Stop allowing pointless games for money? Will

the AD and principles take as much responsibility or be held accountable like the girls?

Parents were at Riverdale supporting our girls. The way all parents would. Most of us also showed our

support for our coach! He didn’t lie, cheat, or steal…..didn’t put his hand on either one of our girls. He

just made a call that he thought was right for the team. Everybody makes mistakes and has short

comings. Americans are always ready to crucify someone…nail them to the cross!

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the

measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own

eye?

Yes we support our coach and yes he made a mistake, but at the end of this I want to teach my child

forgiveness as well as sportsmanship!

What a difference a couple years make. When Riverdale beat Lavergne 110 to 8 or something like

that. All you could read on Coach T was how terrible Riverdale was for running up the score. The

integrity of the game has been compromised. How could the Riverdale coach beat them so bad? Just

terrible sportsmanship.

Edited by bballmom3

So you don't give White County or Cumberland County a chance this year? Hmmmm[/quote

Oh yes, I definitely give both the above a chance. In fact, it would not surprise me if one of the above upsets Bradley. I was simply making a point that the last two seasons, NOBODY gave Bradley a chance because of their weak schedule and because of how tough middle Tennessee is. Both years Bradley shocked the middle Tennessee teams. Cumberland or White County could do the same. Some team needs to beat and represent us in state.

So you don't give White County or Cumberland County a chance this year? Hmmmm[/quote

Oh yes, I definitely give both the above a chance. In fact, it would not surprise me if one of the above upsets Bradley. I was simply making a point that the last two seasons, NOBODY gave Bradley a chance because of their weak schedule and because of how tough middle Tennessee is. Both years Bradley shocked the middle Tennessee teams. Cumberland or White County could do the same. Some team needs to beat and represent us in state.

Bradley has one of the best freshmen in the state. I would have liked to seen how far she could have carried East Hamilton over the.next few years instead.of switching to an established program.