Did the TSSAA do the right thing in disqualify Riverdale and Smyrna from

lawnman

In my opinion this was a great strategic coaching move. TSSAA should not disqualify either team. Both teams in all reality were trying to put their team and school in the best position to win a state championship. The district consolation games are played only for one reason and that is to determine your seed in the region tournament. If you have a better chance winning the region or advancing to the state tournament as 4 seed, then that's what you should do. The quality of basketball played in that game was no different then most of the 1 vs 4 region blowout games tonight. If anything it was probably more entertaining?

• Upvote 1

Come on...surely you're smarter than that. Or maybe not. As a coach, I can justify playing a particular player, a particular defense, a particular offense, or whatever. You might disagree...but you can't PROVE my intent. Only a fool would equate those scenarios with intentionally shooting the ball into the wrong goal or intentionally dribbling into the backcourt.

I'm not disputing, however, the ridiculousness of advancing 4 teams from the district in basketball...not to mention the unfairness when compared to baseball, soccer, and softball.

I can understand having more teams in the basketball play offs cause quite frankly, there are more schools that play basketball.

Beating a dead horse here, but I like the idea of 3 teams advancing from districts. Make the 3rd place game really mean something. Then for regions, give the 1 seed a bye, and let the 2 seeds play the 3 seeds. That is EXACTLY how the TMSAA does their sectional tournys, and it works for them.

Come on...surely you're smarter than that.  Or maybe not.  As a coach, I can justify playing a particular player, a particular defense, a particular offense, or whatever.  You might disagree...but you can't PROVE my intent.  Only a fool would equate those scenarios with intentionally shooting the ball into the wrong goal or intentionally dribbling into the backcourt.

I'm not disputing, however, the ridiculousness of advancing 4 teams from the district in basketball...not to mention the unfairness when compared to baseball, soccer, and softball.  

Yes, I do equate them. At the end of the day, I answer to myself first, for what is in my heart. What other people suspect, or whether they can prove it or not, is immaterial. If that makes me a fool, so be it.

I have not been in that situation, but I will tell you that I believe that I would try not to win, if my team would benefit from a loss. But, I have learned the hard way, that what I believe I would do in a situation is sometimes very different from what I do, if I am actually in that situation. Trying to lose would be agony, because I am competitive by nature. I hope I never have to find out.

I can understand having more teams in the basketball play offs cause quite frankly, there are more schools that play basketball.

Beating a dead horse here, but I like the idea of 3 teams advancing from districts. Make the 3rd place game really mean something. Then for regions, give the 1 seed a bye, and let the 2 seeds play the 3 seeds. That is EXACTLY how the TMSAA does their sectional tournys, and it works for them.

TSSAA would lose the money from 16 satellite region games per class (48 total satellite games) if this happened. I do not see it happening.

Yes, I do equate them. At the end of the day, I answer to myself first, for what is in my heart. What other people suspect, or whether they can prove it or not, is immaterial. If that makes me a fool, so be it.

I have not been in that situation, but I will tell you that I believe that I would try not to win, if my team would benefit from a loss. But, I have learned the hard way, that what I believe I would do in a situation is sometimes very different from what I do, if I am actually in that situation. Trying to lose would be agony, because I am competitive by nature. I hope I never have to find out.

If winning is THAT important to you that you would intentionally lose a game to get in a cushier side of the bracket, then why don't you just not show up to the game and forfit it. Instead of making a mockery of the game, wasting fan's and parent's time and money, showing a complete and absolute disregard to the integrity of the game, and most importantly, telling your B team players (16 year old girls mind you) to act like complete morons that have never seen a basketball before and make them utterly embarrass themselves?

you know folks i'm very disappointed in all this. I grew up in ky where up until a couple of years ago girls weren't even allowed to play on the same nights boys did. girls played on monday and thursday and in front of sparse crowds. like most kentuckians the thought of girls playing a boys game was almost communistic. when I moved to tn I found out girls basketball was pretty special. got interested in watching girls play and even developed an appreciation for the team oriented selfless approach girls took to the game. now this happens and i realize the girls game is just as corruptible than the boys game can be...and it saddens me. fire both coaches...integrity demands it...but it won't happen. the riverdale principal is talking suspending the guy for 2 games next year...so it seems he will be back.

Edited by broadcaster54

I'm sorry to disagree, but the fault is not with the teams. It is the governing body which has set up a tournament where there is every motivation to lose. Too many teams advance. This is far from the first time that teams have contended to lose a 3-4 matchup. Send 4 home, and give 1 a bye. Everyone has a reason to win.

Dollars to donuts 90% of the coaches would agree.

the fault is absolutely without a doubt on the shoulders of the TSSAA for placing $$$ above the spirit and so called integrity of the game

everyone does not deserve a brownie or a trophy...but hey lets have half of the state play in the postseason so we can charge ridiculous fees to see blowouts in the 1st 2 rounds...then again in the 1st round of regions

and after that...even if you lose...you can still continue to play...because losing is ok in this world...it can make you a champion in the state of TN

a coach has every right to do what he/she thinks will get his team a better opportunity to make a deeper run in the playoffs...that includes losing a game intentionally to avoid a bad matchup in an elimination game

if you want to avoid such nonsense in the future...play a real tournament where the loser goes home instead of trying to take advantage of the communities financially

You must be knew to Eliz basketball Coach Dugger lost on purpose at freedom hall to stay out of S Hill backet when he had the Normans playing for him they were booing that game I believe that was one of the reasons they let him go and before you get upset I'm from there and went to school there

TSSAA was correct in what they did. The coaches basically told his kids you are a bunch of losers you can't beat Blackman so let's lose this game so that we can get a couple more in before we have to play Blackman and then lose, you bunch of losers. The kids went along with it. They were taught well.

I'd say the players knew in advance what was going to happen and I'd say laughed about it

No. The girls are not "suffering" for the coaches decision. The girls are being punished because they willfully went along with a scheme that they knew was patently wrong. Either that, or they're the stupidest high school students to ever put on a uniform.