Did the TSSAA do the right thing in disqualify Riverdale and Smyrna from

lawnman

Wow! Principal says two games and Director says whole yr. Principal really dropped ball on this one! This really works out well, ole cliff can coach and Barrett can take over as recruiting coordinator! They won't miss a beat.

Warrior fan! You seem only worried about how many games your team can win than you are with the image of your school and team! Funny how parents get so caught up in winning that they forget all about what's really important.

We all know that Riverdale has a player that tried out and played and was zoned for another school. County officials seemed so concerned about this and many schools have gotten in trouble but not Riverdale. Player continues to play.

I'm sure that's no big deal to warrior fan, but it's a real big deal. Can't think of anything worse than slipping someone on your team who is not zoned for you. Shameful!!

So, sports aren't entertaining to you?

And you think the NCAA has less grasp on how to conduct a post season tournament than the TSSAA?

Why would you conclude that sports are not entertaining to me?

Your reasoning about the tournament comes from an entertainment perspective. You mentioned Cinderella teams. From a sports perspective, you should want the best teams to advance. It can be entertaining to watch two great teams battle it out on the court.

As well, why would conclude that I believe the NCAA "has less grasp"?

You must know that the NCAA tournament and the TSSAA have many aspects. One of those aspects is viewership. Where do you think most people view the NCAA tournament vs. the TSSAA tournament? Which has the bigger audience? Which audience has the greater percentage of sports (vs. entertainment) fans? The differences in these aspects help you understand why the tournaments might be different.

All of that to say, the tournaments do not have to be the same to be the best for each situation.

Edited by Hubbard

I agree with the TSSAA's decision to suspend the teams and coaches, but I can't help but to point out the hypocrisy that the TSSAA continues to display.  

They said it was a 'mockery' of the game and I agree, but how do the same people who call it a mockery continue to make a mockery out of high school sports by only taking care of the state's football programs?  

Football is evaluated every few years and they re-classify, re-district, etc. but nothing is ever done about the other sports.  If it's fair to re-district football because of the size of schools, then how it is not fair to treat all sports the same?  

Schools competing with other schools with twice the enrollment is unfair whether the sport is football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, etc.  The TSSAA continues to show their favoritism and hypocrisy and shame on them for it.

Can't understand that either, how football can change in the middle of the 4 year period and all other sports have to unfairly compete. Makes no sense!

Football was changed because of all the mess the system caused. Without going too much into it, I would favor 4 classes in football, basketball, softball, baseball. Divide the teams by the number in each sport, not by number of schools as whole.

Whether the TSSAA takes in too large a portion is debatable but money certainly matters, and cutting out entire rounds is probably not an option. Sneaky, intentionally losses may not be able to be controlled but this situation was so flagrant, it seemed neither coach thought anything would.be done about it.

You have to be kidding..right? They change from week to week. If you lose 1 or 2 games you are out BC there are thousands of teams.  Here is the latest poll.  Riverdale played Blackman 2 times and lost.  They also played Elizabethtown and lost.  Here is a link to U S A Today.  http://tinyurl.com/n8tht48

Edited by WarriorFan

One oversight I see with all these people trying to compare the NCAA to the TSSAA and the "throw away" Region championship game is that the NCAA is seeded. And we need throw away games were a team can lose yet still continue is for seeding purposes. If you want take the last two teams remaining from the Regions, PAY to have an unbiased board of people come in and seed the 16 remaining teams, and then have a single elimination state tourny, then I would be game for that. But until we can find some one to unbiasedly seed teams, we have to have throw away games like that for seeding.

Here's another example. Say the two best teams in the nation were in the same conference. Lets say Wisconson and Maryland, just for arguments sake. In the Big 10 championship, Wisconson loses to Maryland, so their season is over. There would be outrage. This is the way it used to be, and people didn't like it.

This is why I like the idea of having a system in place to where 2 teams from the same district can make the state championship games. It happens more times than you think. Think of the boys teams in 14A. Or the girls in 7A. I think it was '91 in AA girls when South Greene and Unicoi County split the regular season, one won district, the other wins region. They met again in the Championship. Clearly the two best teams in the state that year, and clearly each others equal, but with a single elimination, one of them wouldn't have even made it to the final 16.

The Riverdale schedule isn't top ten strength wise in AAA in TN according to coacht. #18 I think.

It also has Blackman's schedule strength at #39 despite playing the best teams in the country.  The poll has Farragut at #1.  I have been a CoachT poster since 2002 and I have never figured out the schedule strength or strength + success rankings.  It also has Elizabethton the #68 team in the state in AA.  Just noticed the ranking has Siegel at #7 and they were near the bottom of 7-AAA.  The top 10 AAA teams on this ranking system could not come within 20 points of Blackman.

Edited by WarriorFan

being on national talk shows and national tv shows hurts Murfreesboro and girls basketball...

Sometimes even bad news is good news.  It shows the strength of 7-AAA Rutherford Co teams and the pressure to win.  Winning the district is like winning the State Championship.  Rutherford Co will be strong for years to come.  It will be ok and they will flourish.  Time to heal..

Sometimes even bad news is good news.  It shows the strength of 7-AAA Rutherford Co teams and the pressure to win.  Winning the district is like winning the State Championship.  Rutherford Co will be strong for years to come.  It will be ok and they will flourish.  Time to heal..

I don't think that is what is showing in this situation.

It shows a district where class and sportsmanship has no value.

True or not, that is the image.

This is bad news.