Limit on Contact

devilsden

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule will still be in use wont it?  Full contact is full contact weather you take them to the ground or not.

The rule is in place but what is actually at stake is the interpretation and definition of "contact" from the T$$@@. Most states that have gone to this rule have defined contact as full-pad contact and tackling to the ground. If that were the case, most practices would not change much from the norm. Most coaches these days don't "scrimmage" their guys every single day.

This new contact rule is going to cause quite a bit of controversy.  From what I understand about the rule, live contact does not mean you have to take the offensive player to the ground.  It simply means if you are going full speed blocking into another player, and that is defined as full speed contact.  Now, the above mentioned statement about full speed contact with a player "holding a dummy", is correct from my understanding. 

I wish the NFHS would come out with a stand on what they consider "full speed contact" and require each state to adopt a single rule that is universal throughout.  What Georgia adopts may be completely different from what Ohio adopts.  Now some states don't play NFHS rules and therefore are responsible for adopting their own "live contact" rules, i.e. Texas.  Texas plays under the guidelines of UIL which stands for University Interscholastic League.  They play college football game rules.

This new contact rule is going to cause quite a bit of controversy. From what I understand about the rule, live contact does not mean you have to take the offensive player to the ground. It simply means if you are going full speed blocking into another player, and that is defined as full speed contact. Now, the above mentioned statement about full speed contact with a player "holding a dummy", is correct from my understanding.

I wish the NFHS would come out with a stand on what they consider "full speed contact" and require each state to adopt a single rule that is universal throughout. What Georgia adopts may be completely different from what Ohio adopts. Now some states don't play NFHS rules and therefore are responsible for adopting their own "live contact" rules, i.e. Texas. Texas plays under the guidelines of UIL which stands for University Interscholastic League. They play college football game rules.

There is no way to monitor this. Schools will continue to have normal practices during the season. Also most schools don't go but full contact twice a week anyways due to freshman and JV games plus most teams do a sripted team day which is thud. It's all a bunch if mumbo jumbo and the TSSAA has no way to control or know how long a practice goes or what happens in a practice.

There is no way to monitor this. Schools will continue to have normal practices during the season. Also most schools don't go but full contact twice a week anyways due to freshman and JV games plus most teams do a sripted team day which is thud. It's all a bunch if mumbo jumbo and the TSSAA has no way to control or know how long a practice goes or what happens in a practice.

OH YES THEY DO!!