What should the TSSAA do?

judgesmales

I like the Final 4 or on Wednesday play 6 games at MTSU and 6 games in Nashville somehwere. Then take Thursday off and have the semi's of Friday and Championship on Saturday. Come Saturday some teams are worn out and it is not fair that in one class in the title game a team has Thursday off while another does not. Plus the NCAA takes days off. The only time they play 3 days in a row is the Conference Tourneys

I don't know anyone who has a "Final 8". KY has a Sweet 16 but they have no classes...and they only take the regional champs.

Chicago alone......has over 3 million people. Not a good comparison. The whole state of Tennessee, has about 6.5 million, the state of Illinois has about 12 million.

No one was comparing just explaining how the playoffs worked in Illinois when they had two classes. They have 4 now. In reality there is no comparison.

Personally, I would rather see the classes eliminated. Just let the schools divide into conferences for the regular season however they wish, and only use the tssaa groupings to set up postseason tournaments... every game win and go on or lose and go home.

At the end we have one state champion.

The little dinky schools can play each other in the regular season, and get sent home by some powerhouse early in the tournaments... just like now.

The schools that will do anything to win will be forced to form conferences with their real peers,

and won't be able to divvy up a plethora of championships at the end of the season. The one best team in the state will be the state champion.

Having teams set up their own leagues would be a disaster. Some teams would not be "invited" to join a particular group for whatever reason, maybe distance, too strong, no fan base etc. If you throw them all in there and divide by population you potentially have a Monterey in with Cookeville.

Edited by Indian

Personally, I would rather see the classes eliminated. Just let the schools divide into conferences for the regular season however they wish, and only use the tssaa groupings to set up postseason tournaments... every game win and go on or lose and go home.

At the end we have one state champion.

The little dinky schools can play each other in the regular season, and get sent home by some powerhouse early in the tournaments... just like now.

The schools that will do anything to win will be forced to form conferences with their real peers,

and won't be able to divvy up a plethora of championships at the end of the season. The one best team in the state will be the state champion.

If you want to end with one state champ and cut out classes at a state event, I think you need to give the smaller schools at least something to play for in the beginning phases. Have each region of the state divided from largest to smallest school (and go ahead and put back in Division II schools if you're not going to take all of them out of Division I). Put each region into four districts. District winners, or 1-2, or 1-4, play in postseason and you eventually get 16 teams going to the state, one each of the 16 predetermined regions. Division II private schools get a 2.0 multiplier.

Here is an example of the area east of Knoxville. Each region may not have the same size, exactly, schools as other areas but it won't matter, they're not playing for the state berth against teams from other areas, just this one.

Region 2:

District 1:

Jefferson Co. High School Dandridge 2273

Morristown-Hamblen High School West Morristown 1461

Sevier Co. High School Sevierville 1451

Morristown-Hamblen High School East Morristown 1418

Campbell Co. High School Jacksboro 1320

Cocke Co. High School Newport 1201

District 2:

Seymour High School Seymour 1093

Grainger High School Rutledge 892

Carter High School Strawberry Plains 890

Union Co. High School Maynardville 825

Claiborne High School New Tazewell 800

Unicoi Co. High School Erwin 789

District 3:

Northview Academy Kodak 788

Pigeon Forge High School Pigeon Forge 697

West Greene High School Mosheim 671

Cumberland Gap High School Cumberland Gap 566

Gatlinburg-Pittman High School Gatlinburg 562

District 4:

Cosby High School Cosby 405

The King's Academy 188 x 2 = 376

Hancock Co. High School Sneedville 286

* Washburn High School 158

* Clinch High School Sneedville 27

I went to the Kentucky girls state tournament last week and it was the best state tournament I've ever attended. The only down fall to the KHSAA tournament was there was two sessions per day with 2 games per session at $13 a session. Of course, once it got down to the final 4 teams, there was only 1 session. Pretty steep price in my opinion. In terms of competition and crowing 1 state champion, it was an unbelievable atmosphere with very few blow out games. Almost every game was competitive from start to finish. I know this system will never happen in Tennessee, but in my opinion, Kentucky is leaps and bounds ahead of Tennessee high school basketball as a whole when it comes down to structure of tournament and getting the most excitement from games.

Edited by GCPioneer