What should the TSSAA do?

judgesmales

Why would we have two classes in basketball and six in football?

I also disagree with the notion Tennessee is a poor basketball state.  I think the TSSAA has done a poor job with it.  It used to be so much fun to go watch but we are pretty much a football state and the tssaa only cares about football.

The truth is we are a lot better basketball talent producing state with better teams. Basically because of Memphis but still we are one of the worst football states in the country.  We have a playoff system where 1-9 teams make it and there really isn't a good game till the semi's.  I've seen where a football team will play two maybe three district games and then only have to win two quality games to win a championship.

You must not have watched the games yesterday. I saw several possessions lasting over 1 minute and a couple that lasted almost 2

what is wrong with a 1 minute possession??  if they are holding it play defense and if it takes them a minute to get a shot and they aren't stalling then that is good defense on the other side....hate the infatuation with high scores and the infatuation that we need more trophies....

What about rotating the regionals and sectionals each year. I've been watching hs basketball for 10 years and you have to play the same teams year in and year out. What about teams from west play the stacked Murfreesboro teams before the state tournament, mix it up a little and not always have to play same team to get to state. Everyone knows in girls basketball, you have to play Blackman, river dale or Oakland, depending on what team they stack each year and it will be last game of season. Even though region 3 had 2 or 3 good teams and where probably better than most teams that made it to state, they didn't have a chance because of the same schedule every single year

What about rotating the regionals and sectionals each year. I've been watching hs basketball for 10 years and you have to play the same teams year in and year out. What about teams from west play the stacked Murfreesboro teams before the state tournament, mix it up a little and not always have to play same team to get to state. Everyone knows in girls basketball, you have to play Blackman, river dale or Oakland, depending on what team they stack each year and it will be last game of season. Even though region 3 had 2 or 3 good teams and where probably better than most teams that made it to state, they didn't have a chance because of the same schedule every single year

I agree mix it up. When I was in high school in Illinois. The powers that be would get together and place teams in regional quads (which is similar to Tennessee's district tournament games). They would put 6 teams in each regional. The top two teams received byes. They would select a host school by either bid or central location (they would rotate quads each year). Private schools played in separate quads from the publics. Then you went to the sectionals (which is TN regionals) then super sectionals (which is the sub state games in TN). The private schools and public schools wouldn't meet until super sectionals or state. However, back then, the IHSA only had two classes single A and AA, now they have 4 classes. Edited by QSouth89

Shot clock is not needed. Plus the added cost to each school and the head aches of trouble shooting problems with it. Not really a need IMO and would hurt the quality of basketball. Faster play doesn't always equal better play for high school teams.

I would love to see the state tournament moved to Nashville. Yes, the Boro is central to everyone. I just think Nashville has more to offer to all parties involved.

Discounted tickets for students and offer a family pass for large families.

Shot clock is not needed. Plus the added cost to each school and the head aches of trouble shooting problems with it. Not really a need IMO and would hurt the quality of basketball. Faster play doesn't always equal better play for high school teams.

I would love to see the state tournament moved to Nashville. Yes, the Boro is central to everyone. I just think Nashville has more to offer to all parties involved.

Discounted tickets for students and offer a family pass for large families.

yes, teams holding 'last shot' with about 2 minutes left each quarter is fantastic basketball, football has added play clocks, I can't imagine shot clocks are that far away.

Top 2 teams in each district. Turn it into a 32 team tournament in each class. Then play the 1st 2 region games at the home of the highest seed. Then play a mini state with 4 teams at a neutral site. Take the winner only from each 4 mini sites and they go to the FF. In my mind after the district each game should be sudden death. It is ridiculous that a team with a loss in the region should have a 2nd chance to advance to the final rounds. Only 1 loss allowed and that is in the district finals. Of course you could do it like IN and have a one loss elimination all the way through the state tournament system.

I like the Final 4 or on Wednesday play 6 games at MTSU and 6 games in Nashville somehwere. Then take Thursday off and have the semi's of Friday and Championship on Saturday. Come Saturday some teams are worn out and it is not fair that in one class in the title game a team has Thursday off while another does not. Plus the NCAA takes days off. The only time they play 3 days in a row is the Conference Tourneys

yes, teams holding 'last shot' with about 2 minutes left each quarter is fantastic basketball, football has added play clocks, I can't imagine shot clocks are that far away.

http://www.unapproved website.com/news/pewg4MbmGk6rVQysQMD3dA/numbers-suggest-high-school-basketball-shot-clock-doesnt-necessarily-mean-more-scoring.htm

Read this article about it.

I agree mix it up. When I was in high school in Illinois. The powers that be would get together and place teams in regional quads (which is similar to Tennessee's district tournament games). They would put 6 teams in each regional. The top two teams received byes. They would select a host school by either bid or central location (they would rotate quads each year). Private schools played in separate quads from the publics. Then you went to the sectionals (which is TN regionals) then super sectionals (which is the sub state games in TN). The private schools and public schools wouldn't meet until super sectionals or state. However, back then, the IHSA only had two classes single A and AA, now they have 5 classes.

Illinois only has 4 classes in basketball