Phillip shadowens new head coach at William blount

ThrowXaway - thank you for your reply to my post. I was not aware that stipends set aside for middle school teachers/coaches could be diverted to non-school/county employees. It was my understanding that all volunteer coaches were just that; volunteers and could not get paid through the school system. Is there anyone on this message board that can confirm/deny this?

No one on this or any other message board has any objection to you having a different opinion to anything. You have that right -- in fact, there are many of us who have fought very hard so you can have the right to believe and think any way you would like. That is what makes this forum unique and fun to follow. The difference is in how you say it (or write it as in this case). The facts are, you have written some things that are not true. AND, you have written them on inappropriate message boards. So, yes, those of us who are Coach Shad fans, WILL speak up for him. WE have that right.

So, when you come on to a message board and make comments to bait people without facts, what else do you expect to get?

He is an excellent coach and he will make a difference at William Blount High School. And I am thankful that my son had the opportunity to be coached by him.

Edited by Blackman63

diffrent set of circumstances at Riverdale has was rec........ahhhh...counseling them to come from a 6a school rather than 5a Smyrna. Its flipped in this situation. Tougher over competition in 6a than 3a for the top teir type kids.

I'm an outsider in regards to Blount County but I would think that playing a well coached WB team's 6A schedule every year would be better material for attracting college scouts than playing a similarly well coached Alcoa's team 2A/3A schedule.

I'm an outsider in regards to Blount County but I would think that playing a well coached WB team's 6A schedule every year would be better material for attracting college scouts than playing a similarly well coached Alcoa's team 2A/3A schedule.

ya-Randall Cobb and the Tyson kids have had a hard time gettin recruited! 

Ok Warhawk. I'll bite. One last time. Blackman63, I didn't like the fact that the stipends which were set aside for middle school teachers/coaches were diverted to coaches who A) don't work at the middle school and B ) whose primary coaching responsibilities are for the high school. I didnt like seeing various coaches show up late to practice and games from time to time because of their primary high school responsibilities. I dont like the fact that Blackman Middle has not been to the championship game since the high school took over. My opinion is that the high school has used the middle school program to help pay for high school coaches. I do think that many of those guys who were coaching middle school over the years cared about those kids and I commend them for coaching. Its just not a formula for middle school success.

Now, I realize that my opining has caused some of the most ardent Shadowens fans (and family) to be upset. What can I say? I have a dissenting opinion, It's not libel or slander or a beef, its simply an opinion from a person with a different lens. You may be surprised, but lots of people outside the immediate Shad circle have similar dissenting opinions but they wont take to this medium for fear of reprisal or unnecessary conflict.

Now, I'm gonna take the advice of others and change my password to something I will never remember and move on. Good luck to the Blaze and good luck to the Govs.

not a good formula for middle school success? Isnt they goal to have success at the highest level, the high school...not the feeder programs?