Phillip shadowens new head coach at William blount

I would definitely say Cobb could of done better than Kentucky.

I've heard this debated on talk radio and on message boards around this end of the State. I think Kentucky ended up working out real well for him. I would love to have seen him at UT, but he got a lot of reps at UK. I live close to Phillip Fulmer and work in Knoxville and I drive through Alcoa every day to get to work. I don't know why Phillip Fulmer didn't stop in there a few times though.

Edited by Red Rebels
  • Upvote 1

Randall could have played at Oakdale and not had a hard time being recruited. Fact, the bigger the competition you play, the more looks you get. Its all about the competition.

Respectfully disagree slightly. Higher level competition may help the average kid at one school over average kid at another. IMO-it's all about size and speed for the bigger schools. If greenback (no offense intended) has a 6'5 250 lb DE that runs 4.7 'ish, competition won't matter much.

Respectfully disagree slightly. Higher level competition may help the average kid at one school over average kid at another. IMO-it's all about size and speed for the bigger schools. If greenback (no offense intended) has a 6'5 250 lb DE that runs 4.7 'ish, competition won't matter much.

read coment on Randall Cobb......kids like that will be recruited no matter where they play. But you take a 6-3 255 OL dominating 1a-3a football might bet over looked due to competition, where as if he was say at Maryville dominating he could get a considerable more looks. Maryville/Blackman playoff game will draw more college scout than a Onieda/Sweetwater matchup. Bigger the school, bigger the competition, more exposier. There are a few expections for the extra ordinary type kids. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

read coment on Randall Cobb......kids like that will be recruited nomatter where they play. But you take a 6-3 255 OL dominating 1a-3a football might bet over looked due to competition, where as if he was say at Maryville dominating he could get considerable more looks. Bigger the school, bigger the competition, more exposier. There are a few expections for the extra ordinary type kids.

Cobb was not a can't miss coming out of hs. Very good player but not a can't miss. A 17 yr old sr who was a late bloomer. KY already had inroads to alcoa. Being able to get on field at multiple positions at KY was huge. We will have to disagree on the bigger school meaning more exposure. I doubt college coaches go to games looking for prospects. I'd guess they are attending to see a kid who has "the numbers".

Also, cart before the horse here.....but if WB can turn it around and become a power program.....would love to see a ESPN game between them like the Blackman-Oakland games was. Would be great for both schools.

There was a classic game between WB and Maryville in 2007! Would love to see a game like that on ESPN! It was a great game and the atmosphere was electric.