2015-2016 District 3 & 4 class A

Cookevegas3

agreed. Wburg lost to Harriman, CF beat them. WB squeaked by CF at home, but CF was down a starter. CF led OD by one, when game called, OD, CF up and down, WB, less talent probably, but most consistent. Having said all that... None of three can beat GCA or Meigs on most nights.

Appreciate the respect for Meigs, I will tell ya the way we played against Farragut last night , all 3 of the mentioned teams would handle us!! We have had a rough couple days and tonight's game vs 5A South Paulding (GA) will be our toughest opponent since playing Mitchell in the State finals in 2014! If we don't start hitting our open looks and tighten up our passes , tonight will get out of hand really quick!! Hopefully we come to play and put up a stiff challenge !!

District 4 post Christmas tournament results

Oakdale 7-7 (2-0)

Won against Cocke Co by 7

Lost to Knox Catholic by 38 (ouch)

Coalfield 5-6 (2-1)

Lost to Hampton by 7

Lost to Clarkrange by 14

Won against Harriman by 2 (very entertaining game, good win)

Wartburg 9-2 (3-0)

Win against Unaka by 18

Win against Kingston by 5

Win against Monterey by 13 (score 49 pts in 1st half, best half of basketball seen all year)

My end of year District 4 rankings (feel free to disagree)

1. Wartburg (biggest surprise)

2. Oakdale (still waiting on them to hit their stride)

3. Coalfield (look great at times, other times look very average)

4. Oliver Springs

5. Jellico

6. Oneida (have win over Sunbright)

7. Sunbright (can they scratch out a few wins to move up)

In conclusion:

My sincere heartfelt prayers go out to the freshman Ooltewah basketball player for physical and mental healing. I hope you are able to continue your basketball career and it is filled with many memorable and heroic moments.

Would agree with those rankings. I'd probably put Oakdale and Coalfield as 2a and 2b. All three teams can beat one another on any given night.

I agree also that Wartburg, Oakdale and Coalfield are equal I just felt at this point Wartburg has done a better job taking care of business..

I will take Wartburg, Oakdale or Coalfield to win a  region tournament game against GCA or Megis at Wartburg with all of Morgan County cheering them on. I like those odds.

Clinton was a common opponent for Coalfield and Meigs. Both played them twice. Check the scores. No comparison between Meigs, Grace, and Harriman. Both districts have solid basketball teams, but one districts teams have much better athletes. Hands down!

Edited by bronbron

Clinton was a common opponent for Coalfield and Meigs. Both played them twice. Check the scores. No comparison between Meigs, Grace, and Harriman. Both districts have solid basketball teams, but one districts teams have much better athletes. Hands down!

coalfield beat Harriman last night. Agree that nobody here should be favored against Meigs or GCA but all three could beat Harriman

You know, I would hope that Meigs is better than everyone else because they're 2 or 3 times bigger than most of the Morgan County schools. Coalfield has 170 students in high school, you might have 1/2 boys, 1/2 girls, that leaves 85 boys to play 3 sports, and not every kid plays sports. A school of 500 kids would probably have 250 male athletes to choose from. So they should be better than the smaller schools. And the private school debate is not one I want to start on!

Yes Harriman is a very good team and both teams had played 3 straight days so legs were an issue. But Coalfield never gave up, was down 18 but went up as many as 11. The stats for the game were almost identical, so you may say that Harriman is better than Coalfield...but they sure looked about even stat wise.

Coalfield is down 1-starter and has another one with a bad knee. They went from being 10 or 11 deep down to 7 or 8 deep with a lot of freshman and sophomores. So don't count Coalfield out yet!

Harriman can beat all 3 too. You mentioned 3 teams so I did too. Harriman is better than Coalfield but not last night. Maybe Coalfield is finally leaving football legs behind. Great win.

harriman is a solid team, but they're not any better than CF. CF won at Harriman down a starter and another one limited. Certainly, Harriman could beat them... But CF would win the majority. If they were in 4a, they could finish anywhere between 1st and 4th. They're likely a distant 3rd in 3a.

You know, I would hope that Meigs is better than everyone else because they're 2 or 3 times bigger than most of the Morgan County schools. Coalfield has 170 students in high school, you might have 1/2 boys, 1/2 girls, that leaves 85 boys to play 3 sports, and not every kid plays sports. A school of 500 kids would probably have 250 male athletes to choose from. So they should be better than the smaller schools. And the private school debate is not one I want to start on!

Yes Harriman is a very good team and both teams had played 3 straight days so legs were an issue. But Coalfield never gave up, was down 18 but went up as many as 11. The stats for the game were almost identical, so you may say that Harriman is better than Coalfield...but they sure looked about even stat wise.

Coalfield is down 1-starter and has another one with a bad knee. They went from being 10 or 11 deep down to 7 or 8 deep with a lot of freshman and sophomores. So don't count Coalfield out yet!

Last I checked , Meigs does not have 250 male "athletes" enrolled! But we do have around 200 male "students"! There are are a couple of good athletes in that bunch though! 😉

Last I checked , Meigs does not have 250 male "athletes" enrolled! But we do have around 200 male "students"! There are are a couple of good athletes in that bunch though!

he makes a valid point.... Yes, Meigs has well over 500 students enrolled. That's as many as CF, SB and OD combined, maybe more. So, they've got a tough road to get thru meigs(or GCA) just based on available #s most years... This yr is no exception. Meigs is stout, as they should be with those #s...kudos to them.

he makes a valid point.... Yes, Meigs has well over 500 students enrolled. That's as many as CF, SB and OD combined, maybe more. So, they've got a tough road to get thru meigs(or GCA) just based on available #s most years... This yr is no exception. Meigs is stout, as they should be with those #s...kudos to them.

That's impressive that those schools have the teams they have with that number of students! But those schools are single A , Meigs is single A , why start making excuses about why Meigs is "so good " when they have not even played yet? I doubt the region tournament overseers will cancel the game or maybe let OD, CF, and SB combine teams because Meigs has more "students"! It is what it is! Meigs basketball team does not choose what classification they play in , they just go play ball against whoever is next on the schedule!! Edited by TFL