2015-2016 District 3 & 4 class A

Cookevegas3

This is a brief account of what happened from close relations to the situation. Balcom was, from all accounts, a good teacher, we'll liked and respected by the administration, staff, kids @ the school, on the basketball team, and community, hard worker, ran a Christian Club, and did a really good job as a basketball coach @ TPHS. They won 20 games, finished well in a tough district, and made the region tourney in his first year with a mostly Junior laden team. Majority of the team comes back...including 4 starters. Balcom left on his own because he was not supported from Central Office. Specifically, the Superintendent of schools in Monroe County. From my understanding, he wanted to punish a player for not showing up to summer camps and was supported by the school administration (AD and Principal), BUT the kids parents complained to Superintendent and he was then told he couldn't punish the player (running, playing time, etc...). Superintendent stepped over the AD and principal decision on the matter. He basically had lost any power to be a true coach anymore. Certain players and parents could now run the team by complaining about anything they wanted to the Superintendent. By the way, par for the course in Monroe County. This has happened to other coaches as well, which is why they have and always will have a hard time attracting and keeping good coaches. Thee parents of the kid and the Superintendent, for all practical purposes, would now be the coaches of the team. Fairly certain there was some heavy politics involved with the Superintendent and the kids parents that complained (good Ole boy stuff). He was not asked to leave, but felt he would not have any leg to stand on as a coach. Can't punish players, you have no authority to run a program. Or he would have just been a "yes" man to those parents and the Superintendent. He started looking for job openings and took the opportunity that presented itself at a great school like Bearden. In fact, the AD and principal completely understood why he chose to leave the situation. I know the administration @ the school, some school board members that learned what happened, and many parents were not happy with his departure and aren't very fond of the Superintendent for it.

http://m.advocateanddemocrat.com/sports/article_08fa743a-3096-11e5-868a-8f19413977ba.html?mode=jqm

if accurate, obviously poorly handled by the superintendent and the parents....but can a coach punish a kid for not going to camp in summer? I don't think he really can.... it's not in season.  Let's say the kid was involved in other activities baseball, fishing  whatever... I don't think camp can be required....yes? no?

Edited by CAH09

If missing summer camp is the reason I would think direct punishment would not be allow. Now taking in to account the athlete missed summer camp and possibly conditioning they would be way behind and playing time could be limited until in proper condition and up to speed with game plan would be well with in the coaches right.

Edited by UTRok

Well you're right, we "found" some good ones.  they had been hanging out in our middle school the last 3 years.  Imagine that!

not to give you grief, just ask a real question: The varsity MS baseball team was very bad last year... one of the worst in the 25 (or so) team knoxville league. Can we expect Grace to be in the bottom half of district 3 in a couple of years?  Because I didn't see many "good ones"... at least not enough to rack up any more state championships in baseball. I mean since the middle school is where you all find them, as you said.

Edited by CAH09

This is a brief account of what happened from close relations to the situation. Balcom was, from all accounts, a good teacher, we'll liked and respected by the administration, staff, kids @ the school, on the basketball team, and community, hard worker, ran a Christian Club, and did a really good job as a basketball coach @ TPHS. They won 20 games, finished well in a tough district, and made the region tourney in his first year with a mostly Junior laden team. Majority of the team comes back...including 4 starters. Balcom left on his own because he was not supported from Central Office. Specifically, the Superintendent of schools in Monroe County. From my understanding, he wanted to punish a player for not showing up to summer camps and was supported by the school administration (AD and Principal), BUT the kids parents complained to Superintendent and he was then told he couldn't punish the player (running, playing time, etc...). Superintendent stepped over the AD and principal decision on the matter. He basically had lost any power to be a true coach anymore. Certain players and parents could now run the team by complaining about anything they wanted to the Superintendent. By the way, par for the course in Monroe County. This has happened to other coaches as well, which is why they have and always will have a hard time attracting and keeping good coaches. Thee parents of the kid and the Superintendent, for all practical purposes, would now be the coaches of the team. Fairly certain there was some heavy politics involved with the Superintendent and the kids parents that complained (good Ole boy stuff). He was not asked to leave, but felt he would not have any leg to stand on as a coach. Can't punish players, you have no authority to run a program. Or he would have just been a "yes" man to those parents and the Superintendent. He started looking for job openings and took the opportunity that presented itself at a great school like Bearden. In fact, the AD and principal completely understood why he chose to leave the situation. I know the administration @ the school, some school board members that learned what happened, and many parents were not happy with his departure and aren't very fond of the Superintendent for it.

http://m.advocateanddemocrat.com/sports/article_08fa743a-3096-11e5-868a-8f19413977ba.html?mode=jqm

Well I dont know anybody mentioned here personally. I was always entertained by the tellico coach to say the least. I will say though one time at a JV game GCA was wearing them out at halftime. He didnt let his team go in at halftime instead they had to run windsprints in front of a full gym of parents and fans waiting for the varsity girls game......that one left me scratching my head.....but I wish him well.

Looks like the hired a good young coach anyway.

Who is going to the Thompson Boling Jamboree Thursday Night??

Well I dont know anybody mentioned here personally. I was always entertained by the tellico coach to say the least. I will say though one time at a JV game GCA was wearing them out at halftime. He didnt let his team go in at halftime instead they had to run windsprints in front of a full gym of parents and fans waiting for the varsity girls game......that one left me scratching my head.....but I wish him well.

Looks like the hired a good young coach anyway.

Who is going to the Thompson Boling Jamboree Thursday Night??

you got a schedule for that jamboree?

not to give you grief, just ask a real question: The varsity MS baseball team was very bad last year... one of the worst in the 25 (or so) team knoxville league. Can we expect Grace to be in the bottom half of district 3 in a couple of years?  Because I didn't see many "good ones"... at least not enough to rack up any more state championships in baseball. I mean since the middle school is where you all find them, as you said.

Can't really say, I'm not that adept at predicting the future.  I was just answering the post that the basketball team would manage to "find" some good players.  No one ever talks about the kids that transfer out, everyone just wants to concentrate on the kids that transfer in.  4 years ago, our MS basketball team went 27-1, was the 1st GCA team to beat Webb (did it twice that year) and won a state tournament in Middle TN.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's only 1 or 2 kids left from that team.  Now do all you GCA bashers feel a little sorry for us?  Didn't think so.  So many of you get on here and post hearsay and opinions, I'm just giving you a few facts.