2015-2016 District 3 & 4 class A

Cookevegas3

I have made it a goal to see all District 4 teams in action before Thanksgiving. Here is list of games in order I have seen.

-Oliver Springs - Clarkrange

Wartburg - Kingston

Sunbright - Concord Christian

Jellico - Clinton (at Scott High)

Oneida - Clinton (at Scott High)

Oakdale - Clinton

Coalfield - Clinton

Yes I have seen Clinton 4 times it did give me a good comparison on how each team played them.

The teams I thought would be the in the top 3 (Oakdale, Coalfield & Wartburg) are easily the biggest surprises for different reasons.

Oakdale to this point has been the most disappointing. I expected them with their seniors and experience to come out clicking on all cylinders. Some would say they have played a tough schedule and I would agree, but it is not the toughest. They are playing to much individual ball. Oakdale did not adjust during game very well. I fell they will get it together I just expected them to start better.

Coalfield was not as fluid as I expected, at times when someone has ball you just know they are going to shoot it regardless of what is going on around them (Oakdale is like this also). I know that it has been said they just got their football players back, However I give this argument. Tellico beat Coalfield on a Tuesday after getting Football players back and Coalfield had same Coach and system as last year. Harriman beat Tellico on Monday after getting Football players back with new Coach and new system. I guess I was just expecting more from Coalfield with all their talent.

Wartburg is easily the biggest surprise to start. They are 3-0and I fell they have played the toughest schedule. They beat Northview who most feel will win District 2 and will most likely be AAA when new enrolment # come out in 2 years. They beat AA Kinston and Scott High on their home floor. I felt Scott was best team I had seen and they are expected to finish 2nd in their District, also Scott has beat Farragut. Wartburg plays TEAM ball not ME ball nd are easily the best coached team I seen. I do feel Wartburg would beat Clinton. Talked to a friend of mine and he said Wartburg was down to Scott by 20 most of game and came back to win in overtime. Wartburg is ranked #1 in single A on coacht in strength + success

I know it is early and a lot can and will change, but here is my EARLY District 4 standings after seeing all teams play.

1.  Wartburg

2.  Oakdale

3.  Coalfield

4.  Oliver Springs, Jellico or Sunbright (all looked about same)

7.  Oneida

Good, thorough work there. Hats off to you. Wburg is always well coached... In a close game, A few more quality possessions makes a difference. Their coaching gets them better possessions. Oakdale should be fine, but yes, they have a couple players who have never figured out how to play effectively in an offensive flow... It hurts them for sure. CF doesn't actively work to get their best player as many shots as possible. They need more action purposely to get him good looks off screens, etc.

11-27-2015 GCA vs Carmel Christian at the Charlotte Hoops Challenge in Charlotte. 

Well we got 2 of our 4 football players back today. (2 coming off injuries) - Played Carmel Christian whose starting lineup was 5-11, 6-3, 6-6, 6-8 and 6-10.

Today was CJ Gettlefingers coming out party. The ball handling freshman worked his magic and shot the 3ball to 20 points. Connor Arnold had 18 strong points and Grant Ledford (12) with Zack Walker (11). Several more rams scored and contributed good minutes. It was a good Rams victory in probably a shocker to the Carolina folks that packed the gym for Carmel. Final Score Rams 75-69 winners. Next Game at 12:30 Saturday vs another Carolina club from somewhere. 

GCA Now 1win 2 losses on the season. 

November 28 2015

GCA lost a very winnable game in Charlotte vs the Hopewell Titans HS 66-56. GCA played hard and tough but Hopewell was well coached and hit their free throws down the stretch. GCA lead in scoring by Arnold 17 Gettlefinger 11 Ledford 10 with 4 other rams scoring.

Hensley and Andrews are gaining their basketball lungs after football and contributed key minutes on both ends.

Rams open district play Tuesday hosting Midway

Edited by 12thmanGCA

Oakdale sitting at 1-5. Wow. They've played some big schools though.

But did they get "anything" from those loses?  From other posts, it sounds as if they are playing selfishly, and are really only gaining statlines from those games.  Any insight on this?  This seemed to be a problem the past couple of seasons their as well.

Oakdale sitting at 1-5. Wow. They've played some big schools though.

1-5...wow. who else did they lose to? Coach T sched has them at 1-4...That's a tough start either way. Bigger schools or not, this team was supposed to be good enough to win its share of games vs bigger schools. Heritage and Mville will both win a lot of games, but Clinton I'm not so sure about... they were certainly pretty decent, but if both CF and Oakdale are gonna be competitive in the region, they need to be good enough to beat Clinton and they weren't... at least in November. Wburg seems to be off to the best start of the three... and that's with less talent overall.

Lost to Monterey, Clarkrange, Clinton, Heritage, and I'm not sure of who the 5th was. It was in the Heritage Holiday tournament. It may have been Maryville. 

I do NOT think it's coaching. Nelson is young, but he knows his stuff. His players believe in him, and he tailors his system to benefit the team he has. He is the best coach Oakdale specifically could have. District Coach of the Year last year.

I think it's the mentality of the players. Last year they had something to prove. They won the district. Now what? They've heard all summer how they're going to run over everybody this year. One wonders if their work ethic has slipped? I don't think they're playing too selfish. They don't have a chip on their shoulder anymore. That "drive" is gone. Being 1-5 needs to be a wake-up call to show them that they're human and capable of losing.

Edited by LilGoose10