Poll: Public Schools With Open Enrollment

A 1.8 multiplier for BOTH Private & Public Open Enrollment   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should the TSSAA Board of Control mandate that all PUBLIC schools in TN which have open enrollment (e.g. Union City) be required to use the 1.8 enrollment multiplier, just like private schools competing in Division I?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Yes, but the multiplier should be less than the private school multiplier

Agree rural and Urban is really the deal.

Agree rural and Urban is really the deal.

Cut me some slack on the region breakdowns, this was done very quickly, but it would be something similar if you used non-urban/metro and non-privates, from about 500-1000.

Rural Class AA

Region 1

South Greene High School Greeneville 497

Happy Valley High School Elizabethton 568

Chuckey-Doak High School Afton 643

West Greene High School Mosheim 671

Johnson Co. High School Mountain City 675

Elizabethton High School Elizabethton 792

Greeneville High School Greeneville 887

Unicoi Co. High School Erwin 789

Region 2

Pigeon Forge High School Pigeon Forge 697

Kingston High School Kingston 735

Loudon High School Loudon 736

Scott High School Huntsville 779

Northview Academy Kodak 788

Claiborne High School New Tazewell 800

Union Co. High School Maynardville 825

Grainger High School Rutledge 892

Region 3

Meigs Co. High School Decatur 516

Marion Co. High School Jasper 518

Bledsoe Co. High School Pikeville 568

Polk Co. High School Benton 570

Sweetwater High School Sweetwater 591

Sequatchie Co. High School Dunlap 691

McMinn Central High School Englewood 700

Grundy Co. High School Coalmont 708

Region 4

Westmoreland High School Westmoreland 509

Smith Co. High School Carthage 599

Alvin C. York Institute Jamestown 612

Cannon Co. High School Woodbury 618

Upperman High School Baxter 740

DeKalb Co. High School Smithville 803

Livingston Academy Livingston 888

Macon Co. High School Lafayette 935

Region 5

Forrest High School Chapel Hill 522

Cascade High School Wartrace 535

Hickman Co. High School Centerville 542

Lewis Co. High School Hohenwald 555

East Hickman High School Lyles 621

Marshall Co. High School Lewisburg 845

Giles Co. High School Pulaski 863

Region 6

Waverly Central High School Waverly 553

Harpeth High School Kingston Springs 595

Cheatham Co. Central High School Ashland City 627

Stewart Co. High School Dover 651

White House Heritage High School White House 652

Fairview High School Fairview 660

Greenbrier High School Greenbrier 824

White House High School White House 882

Region 7

Adamsville High School Adamsville 541

Camden Central High School Camden 597

Westview High School Martin 613

Milan High School Milan 616

South Gibson Co. High School Medina 711

Dyersburg High School Dyersburg 787

Obion Co. Central High School Troy 947

Region 8

McNairy Central High School Selmer 751

Bolivar Central High School Bolivar 819

Crockett Co. High School Alamo 842

Haywood High School Brownsville 876

Chester Co. High School Henderson 861

Ripley High School Ripley 901

Lexington High School Lexington 941

This is a ridiculous idea. If the 1.8 multiplier was applied to all open zone public schools then there would be tons of them with "pseudo" enrollments of 1000+. The schools would still need to be evenly divided into classes. You would probably end up with class 1A being made up of schools with enrollment numbers going up to 800 or 900 students.[/quote

It's no more ridiculous than putting private schools that DON'T offer financial aid in the same classification as private schools that offer financial aid. Why do public schools which generally have better facilities and get more dollars per student than small private schools be allowed to draw from an entire county and not be required to use a multiplier for that luxury?

This is a ridiculous idea. If the 1.8 multiplier was applied to all open zone public schools then there would be tons of them with "pseudo" enrollments of 1000+. The schools would still need to be evenly divided into classes. You would probably end up with class 1A being made up of schools with enrollment numbers going up to 800 or 900 students.[/quote

It's no more ridiculous than putting private schools that DON'T offer financial aid in the same classification as private schools that offer financial aid. Why do public schools which generally have better facilities and get more dollars per student than small private schools be allowed to draw from an entire county and not be required to use a multiplier for that luxury?

If privates would play with like opponents there would be no multiplier. Another thing to ponder is,why would people pay out the rear  end for their kids if the privates schools didn't have a better product. People will say for religous reasons and thats partially true ,but for many the reasons are more than that.It wouldn't  change a thing in our small county, if there was a private school,you wouldn't have 20 kids unless it was for atheletics. 

But you are right about certain schools thriving off of open enrollment. That being said ,I'm not sure what the TSSAA could do about it. I sure don't care for the merit based system.

Cut me some slack on the region breakdowns, this was done very quickly, but it would be something similar if you used non-urban/metro and non-privates, from about 500-1000.

Rural Class AA

Region 1

South Greene High School Greeneville 497

Happy Valley High School Elizabethton 568

Chuckey-Doak High School Afton 643

West Greene High School Mosheim 671

Johnson Co. High School Mountain City 675

Elizabethton High School Elizabethton 792

Greeneville High School Greeneville 887

Unicoi Co. High School Erwin 789

I think urban (city) / rural (county) split is the right divide too. I'm only really familiar with Region 1 schools. Along this line of thought - including Greeneville and Elizabethton city schools in this list would not be right. These are not huge cities for sure but the cohesiveness of the city structure, youth leagues, extra money available for equipment/coaches/facilities and so forth always leads these programs to be way ahead of all the other schools in their respective counties. The Sullivan county schools would be more appropriate than the city schools in this region. Just ask Greeneville how much fun they had playing in the BRAC the last few years. Edited by RebRaider85

Being allowed to draw from the entire county? It's called public education for the masses and the natural boundaries of that particular governmental organization. Luxury? I do think that the privates should be split at least for playoffs and be divided into "Do Provide"/"Do Not Provide" financial support for athletes classifications without respect to school population size. Don't forget that you are in that private setting by choice.

Playoffs:

3 urban-city classes

3 rural-county classes

2 private classes

Schedule outside your class at will to fill out your regular season without affecting playoff seeding.

Edited by RebRaider85

Being allowed to draw from the entire county? It's called public education for the masses and the natural boundaries of that particular governmental organization. Luxury? I do think that the privates should be split at least for playoffs and be divided into "Do Provide"/"Do Not Provide" financial support for athletes classifications without respect to school population size. Don't forget that you are in that private setting by choice.

Playoffs:

3 urban-city classes

3 rural-county classes

2 private classes

Schedule outside your class at will to fill out your regular season without affecting playoff seeding.

This is the best idea I have seen yet!

Here are some numbers on the urban/rural idea. A lot would depend on which schools were termed urban or rural. Some easily can be classified with an eye test or by looking at their population/proximity to large cities. Others could go either way.

In a rural division of schools to 1000, I called it Division I, I split it and had 127 schools. Class A went to Scotts Hill at 490. Class AA’s cutoff was 1000 but the largest school was Obion County at 947.

Division II was urban schools/large schools and had 4 classes. The smallest ones would have it tough in Class A, which went from Concord Christian and Lookout Valley (204) to Lausanne (337 multiplied by 2, 674). I had all private schools back in Division II, with non-aid schools getting a 1.5 multiplier and aid schools getting a 2.0.

Class AA went from University School of Jackson (344, multiplied to 688) and Signal Mountain (699) to Tennessee High of Bristol (1196). That’s a range of about 700-1200 which wouldn’t be unreasonable though again the smallest schools might have it tough. That would be the same outcome in any classification process.

Class AAA included rural schools over 1000, starting at Sequoyah at 1018 and went to all schools to Station Camp at 1537. South Doyle was the first urban school at 1210.

Class AAAA had the rest including Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, Baylor, who I would expect to move up to the largest class. It went from Walker Valley at 1539 to White Station at 2289.

This separates the private schools from rural schools in the smaller class. As the schools get larger they should be more able to compete regardless of open zone or private school opponent. The schools in the urban areas also usually can draw players in easier than rural schools due to distance though that is not always the case. The open zone situation is probably just decided by local schools boards and would be hard for the TSSAA to make rules on. And you may have an open zone that has had 1 impact player over the past decade, while another has players coming in every year, no school would have the exact open zone impact.

Edited by Indian

How big would a city need to be to be considered urban?  Obviously everybody would agree that Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Memphis would be urban. What's next?  Johnson City, Bristol, Cookeville, Murfreesboro, Dickson, Columbia, Jackson, Dyersburg, Martin? More than that?  Less? And would it just be schools inside the city? county? Within 50 miles? I love the idea of splitting rural and urban but how do you qualify the schools?

I don't think enrollment alone divides urban and rural.  For example, I think Hardin County would be a rural area but their enrollment currently has then in 4A in football, and they have been 5A for several years.

Edited by Ascendotuum

I had the major cities and their immediate suburbs as urban. Even in those areas you will find rural pockets so each school would have to be considered individually.

I had a cutoff of 1000 for the "rural division" since having schools like Lincoln County or Hardin County would really spread out the size of schools within the class.

Kenny if you were to come to Union City and go through the enrollment files, I can garuntee that you will find that our student body is made up of 95% city address. I know we are open enrollment and I know that sounds unfair but you also must undserstand the dinamics of County versus city in our area. For many years both UC and OC were the same classification (2A). There was an overwhelming amount of animosity between the 2 schools and lines were drawn in the sand by the community, not by the state. You were either County or City and your loyalties were strong. It was mainly determined by where your parents went to school. You could live in Union City and catch a bus or drive to Troy Tn to Obion County Central. Over the years OC has grown and grown while UC has dropped to the 1A level. Now how does that make sense? We have lost more to OC than we have gained. And the idea that we have the entire county to choose athletes from is just stupid. Most of the county population is very rural and those kids catch the bus to OC. One last thing. If you want to beat Union City, work harder than we do. We have had more bad years than good. Our success of late has to do more with Coach Bowling and his coaching and training program. Those boys work hard for him and believe in what he does. If you want to beat a team like that your are gonna have to out work them. I challenge you to find some real data to support your comment.

Edited by BigSwo2