How will the first touchdown be scored by Maryville against Heritage?

BigDave1967

The helmet Heritage is wearing this year looks like something you would wear on a April Fools Day Scrimmage game or for Halloween. Since they want to look like a public spectacle we need to really beat them bad so it matches their outfits.

You shouldn't bad mouth the new helmets. Your tax increase paid for em

First, the helmets look good, and I'm sure the kids - who will actually wear them - will love them. Second, the red and baby blue scheme looks terrible, which is no one wears it. The blue jerseys from a few years ago and the mid 80's are awful. Third, didn't Hammontree change the uniforms and helmets when he was at maryville? Didn't he bring the all black uniforms and helmets.

I went to breakfast this morning and showed someone  a picture of the new helmet that coached football at Heritage many years ago and the look on his face was total disgust. He didn't say a word, his expression said it all. I realize it's the kids that like this new stuff but changing the design of a helmet year after year causes a team to lose identity which fits the bill at Heritage.

I went to breakfast this morning and showed someone  a picture of the new helmet that coached football at Heritage many years ago and the look on his face was total disgust. He didn't say a word, his expression said it all. I realize it's the kids that like this new stuff but changing the design of a helmet year after year causes a team to lose identity which fits the bill at Heritage.

Heritage's identity has been one of the worst teams in the state for years, so im fine with them losing that identity. It really doesn't matter what an old coach or an alumni thinks, especially if they're not doing anything to contribute to the program now. New uniforms and helmets are what kids like today. They've seen it at almost every college team. Heritage doesn't have 30 state rings to get kids out like other schools. They have to do something different to get kids out, and this is part of it.

Heritage's identity has been one of the worst teams in the state for years, so im fine with them losing that identity. It really doesn't matter what an old coach or an alumni thinks, especially if they're not doing anything to contribute to the program now. New uniforms and helmets are what kids like today. They've seen it at almost every college team. Heritage doesn't have 30 state rings to get kids out like other schools. They have to do something different to get kids out, and this is part of it.

Bc I can buy that and your statement makes good sense. I'm the type person that may say what I think at the moment of impact but I do soften up some. I have read where the kids out there really like it and I guess that's what matters. We're living in their world now not ours. When I was at Maryville in 73-74-75 Coach Wilson let the seniors pick a style of helmet and for the first time in many years they changed from a white based helmet to a red one my first year and they painted all the white helmets red or what they thought was red and it was more of a garnet color which didn't look like the color they really wanted but the damage was done so we wore them. My second year Coach Wilson ordered all new red Riddell helmets with a large M on the sides and my senior year we put a number on the side to look like Alabama which Maryville wore for many years until they went to the black they wear now. I couldn't ever imagine GQ ever changing that and I hope no one ever dose.

I remember when OR changed their helmet from my avatar (the traditional oval OR logo that we have had since the 60's) to the inter-locking OR we wore for one year under Coach Blade I and a bunch of old time OR fans about lost it lol. Don't know why, but with a traditional school like OR a little logo like that is such a big deal. It's our identity I guess. It was like Green Bay or the Chicago Bears changing their logo. I know it probably sounds silly to a lot of folks, but it holds a lot of meaning to a lot of folks in OR. Thankfully, when Gaddis got here he changed it right back. Said he couldn't imagine coaching an OR team without the traditional logo on the helmet. Probably sounds silly to a lot of folks, but just how it is here.

I really liked Ridge's flag logo he came out with last year and hope they keep using it on the helmets. The only thing I would change is have navy blue helmets instead of White and make the flags orange instead of blue. I think that would look sharp.

Edited by Governors91

I remember when OR changed their helmet from my avatar (the traditional oval OR logo that we have had since the 60's) to the inter-locking OR we wore for one year under Coach Blade I and a bunch of old time OR fans about lost it lol. Don't know why, but with a traditional school like OR a little logo like that is such a big deal. It's our identity I guess. It was like Green Bay or the Chicago Bears changing their logo. I know it probably sounds silly to a lot of folks, but it holds a lot of meaning to a lot of folks in OR. Thankfully, when Gaddis got here he changed it right back. Said he couldn't imagine coaching an OR team without the traditional logo on the helmet. Probably sounds silly to a lot of folks, but just how it is here.

You feel the same way I do and I remember playing Oak Ridge and they changed their helmets that year and I thought I was seeing things. Now that Maryville has had the same black helmets since 1992 I believe I would hate to see a change again also since such a winning tradition has came along since. I'm trying to think of other schools that have stayed with the same tradition as Maryville and Oak Ridge.