A friendly letter to our prospective new DII brethren

WesVLT

Not how it always works. I just gave you an example. 2 coaches have been run off from Gallatin middle school games. One from JP2 and one from Friendship Christian. Do not act like it does not happen. And I did not kick anyone out!! Like I said admit it is an advantage. Then cut it out and have a zone like other states do. Not too hard for a level playing field. Denial gets you where we are at...no where.

How were the two coaches "run off" from Gallatin middle school games? If the games were being played on public school property you legally can not force anyone to leave that is not breaking the law.

How were the two coaches "run off" from Gallatin middle school games? If the games were being played on public school property you legally can not force anyone to leave that is not breaking the law.

One was actively recruiting and the next day a phone call was made to the school to inform their coach and principal that it was not appreciated since this individual has caused trouble at Gallatin before. They complied. The other head coach was watching a game and our coach saw him and went to talk to him. He immediately tried to leave when he saw our coach approach him. Williams chased him down in the parking lot and they had a conversation. Legally they can watch anytime but other activities are frowned upon. So it does happen.

Not how it always works. I just gave you an example. 2 coaches have been run off from Gallatin middle school games. One from JP2 and one from Friendship Christian. Do not act like it does not happen. And I did not kick anyone out!! Like I said admit it is an advantage. Then cut it out and have a zone like other states do. Not too hard for a level playing field. Denial gets you where we are at...no where.

You want zoning for private schools?  "Like other states do"????  That makes no sense to me.

Though it may not fit your agenda, private schools exist and thrive for many reasons other than athletics.  Ensworth had three members of its class of 2014 (out of a little more than 100 graduates) accepted as early enrollees at Harvard.  That was the most from any school in the nation, public or private.  Most people affiliated with the school will tell you that is a far more significant accomplishment than winning a football/basketball/baseball game.  Yet you would deny these students the opportunity to attend Ensworth because they might live outside your "zone", which you want to force on them, even though they are already prohibited from competing against you in sports???  Come on, man, get real.

You want zoning for private schools? "Like other states do"???? That makes no sense to me.

Though it may not fit your agenda, private schools exist and thrive for many reasons other than athletics. Ensworth had three members of its class of 2014 (out of a little more than 100 graduates) accepted as early enrollees at Harvard. That was the most from any school in the nation, public or private. Most people affiliated with the school will tell you that is a far more significant accomplishment than winning a football/basketball/baseball game. Yet you would deny these students the opportunity to attend Ensworth because they might live outside your "zone", which you want to force on them, even though they are already prohibited from competing against you in sports??? Come on, man, get real.

Other states do it, why would you be so against it?? No they can attend but to play varsity athletics they usually have to sit out a year. Do your research before speaking.

Since Maryville is open zoned, they have the exact same advantage as privates. They can recruit from the same territory.

It's people like you that whine about privates yet ignore the same advantage open zones do that loose credibility. Can't have it both ways.

If it was all about tuition students then why did Maryville go 20 years(1978-1998) without winning a championship? I remember seeing a lot of mediocre football at Maryville from the late 80s to the mid 90s. I saw lots of 5-5 seasons. Teams like Austin East,Sevier County,Halls used to wear Maryville out. I once saw William Blount beat Maryville 3 years in a row including a 31-0 beatdown in 1990. Alcoa beat Maryville 4 in a row in that timeframe. 3 of those losses were beatdowns. On a lot of those bad Maryville teams interest was way down.I remember seeing Maryville teams that were lucky to have 40 kids out. Me and many other Maryville Rebel fans thought the Glory Years were done. We thought Maryville would never win another state title. I saw Maryville go 9 years(1986-1995) without a playoff win. In those opening playoff games in that timeframe(1987,1992 and 1994) Maryville lost badly.  Wasn't even competitive. Central beat Maryville 26-6 in 1987 opening round. In 1992 Clinton killed Maryville 46-14 in the opening round. In 1994 Shelbyville beat Maryville 27-6 in the opening round. Open Zone sure didn't help Maryville then.

What happened then was Maryville had some assistant coaches that the kids hated with a passion. The most stinging stat is in 1986 the Maryville Freshmen team drilled everyone they played. Because of those assistants 75% of those kids quit. In 1989 their senior year Maryville went 5-5. In 1993 Tim Hammontree was hired and he got rid of those assistants. He installed the discipline that Maryville still has. He also hired David Ellis and George Quarles. After Maryville won State in 1998 Hammontree left to coach in Georgia. All the coaches except George Quarles and David Ellis went with Hammontree.  George took over the program in 1999.

When George Quarles took over the Program David Ellis stayed. George hired Jim Gaylor away from Clinton to be Defensive Cordinator. Those 3 men have been the heartbeat of the coaching staff. Mike White was hired in 1999. He is a good coach that could easily be a head coach somewhere else. George has hired a bunch of good coaches. Joe Robinette is a great receivers coach. Derek Hunt is a bright young coach. Brandon Waters is a great DL Coach and even better Strength and Conditioning coach. Nick White had some success at Lenoir City as their head coach. He is a great secondary coach. Ricky Upton,Jeremy Russell,Jeffery Booker and Brandon Johns are other coaches. They are great coaches themselves.  I truly believe this is one of the best coaching staffs in America. Interest in football is really high 130 plus kids are out for football. The last several seasons Maryville has dressed out 95 kids on varsity.

A lot of people think open zone or tuition students is why Maryville is winning so much. Maryville's coaching staff is 90% of the reason Maryville is winning so much. A young man I work with played for Cleveland on one of those teams Maryville beat in the playoffs. He told me a lot of coaches are playing checkers. George Quarles is playing chess.  Because of Georges success at Maryville you have cases where a stud player like Jay Guilermo's family move to this area. Guilermos family asks former UT assistant Dan Brooks what school would be great for Jay. Without hesitation he tells them Maryville is where you need to send Jay to. Of course Dan Brooks son Rhett was a former Rebel player. If Jay Guilermo,Aaron Douglas or Dylan Jackson had been playing in the late 80s or early 90s they never go to Maryville. They probably would have ended up at Oak Ridge or Alcoa then.

Lets put it this way. I would 100 times more see Maryville be a closed zone school and have the current Maryville staff than see Maryville be open zoned but have a doofus as a coach. COACHING,COACHING,COACHING is why Marville is winning so big right now.

Other states do it, why would you be so against it?? No they can attend but to play varsity athletics they usually have to sit out a year. Do your research before speaking.

What year would they sit out when they enter the school as a first-grader or as a sixth-grader?  Freshman year, when the TSSAA rules first come into play?  What sense would that make?

You apparently do not realize this, but under TSSAA rules, transfers to D2 schools are subject to the exact same rules as transfers to D1 schools.  Do the research - the rules are there for everyone to read on the TSSAA web site.  Is that somehow not good enough for you?  Since I appear incapable of researching how all these other wonderful states do it, why don't you enlighten me with the rules that these other states all seem to follow?  

I still don't get why you continue to attack the policies of TSSAA and of D2 schools when D2 has already been banished from playing against the D1 schools.  Perhaps your argument should be directed at the D1 privates?

What year would they sit out when they enter the school as a first-grader or as a sixth-grader? Freshman year, when the TSSAA rules first come into play? What sense would that make?

You apparently do not realize this, but under TSSAA rules, transfers to D2 schools are subject to the exact same rules as transfers to D1 schools. Do the research - the rules are there for everyone to read on the TSSAA web site. Is that somehow not good enough for you? Since I appear incapable of researching how all these other wonderful states do it, why don't you enlighten me with the rules that these other states all seem to follow?

I still don't get why you continue to attack the policies of TSSAA and of D2 schools when D2 has already been banished from playing against the D1 schools. Perhaps your argument should be directed at the D1 privates?

Oh ok I see your point...every kid starts in Elementary school. Oh could I have missed that!! I guess someone needs to tell the assistant coaches that go to the middle school games not to since your private schools are full!! I have given you examples and you still evade the question. Adapt a zone and stop giving out financial aid and then nobody could complain because the field would have been heavily leveled. Come back and play in this pitiful TSSAA high school league with these unworthy public schools.

Adapt a zone and stop giving out financial aid and then nobody could complain because the field would have been heavily leveled. Come back and play in this pitiful TSSAA high school league with these unworthy public schools.

That's OK - we're fine where we are.  We will just continue to strive for academic, social and athletic excellence in our own backward, misguided way while the Tennessee public school systems continue to show the world how to do things the right way.  Thanks for all of the great advice, but I don't think anyone is interested.  Whine away!  :rolleyes:

No I would win over and over again!! I have never heard of a not very athletic kid getting financial aid to play a sport. Always one of the better players!! Having talked to a former BA player who admitted to me that he was recruited back in the 80's my opinion has not changed. Why don't you just drop the financial aid packages altogether and have a zone like some other states do and come back and play the publics?? Yeah thought so!!! And by the way open zones do not concern me near as much as private schools who raid other teams for talent. I know that 3 were offered financial aid to attend JP2 from Gallatin this past year. One accepted, a starting QB from middle school who I guarantee will not sit the bench come varsity play. Quit acting like an elitist and know that the playing field is not nor was not fair!! And I did not want a split nor do I oppose privates having representation on the board. Just acknowledge you have a very competitive advantage!! Gallatin has played their fair share of privates as well. Baylor, Father Ryan, JP2, MBA, and McCallie over the last 30 years only BA refused to play Gallatin in the late 80's and early 90's. Ask Carlton Flatt!! Or ask Scott Meadows both have admitted to having an unfair advantage. So do your research but I am not giving you a hard time!!

Need based financial aide is given at all Div II schools from 12th grade down to K5. You'd lose miserably if you bet only athletes get financial aide. You honestly have NO CLUE what you're talking about by saying that. Unless you think a 2nd grade kid who is decent at kickball and freeze tag is an athlete?

Need based financial aide is given at all Div II schools from 12th grade down to K5. You'd lose miserably if you bet only athletes get financial aide. You honestly have NO CLUE what you're talking about by saying that. Unless you think a 2nd grade kid who is decent at kickball and freeze tag is an athlete?

No I have seen the numbers and am not suggesting that. I am talking about the active process of getting athletes to prospective schools by use of financial aid or work programs. Kids that already have shown to excel in athletics. Not all kids go to private schools via this way but some do.

That's OK - we're fine where we are. We will just continue to strive for academic, social and athletic excellence in our own backward, misguided way while the Tennessee public school systems continue to show the world how to do things the right way. Thanks for all of the great advice, but I don't think anyone is interested. Whine away! :rolleyes:

No one is asking you to become a public school. Just level the playing field. But even you will not admit to such a huge advantage and there lies the problem. So we get threads like this one. A huge rant then a reply then the person replying gets accused of whining because they pointed out situations and facts and even coaches who once coached for privates that acknowledge the difference. That's fine. Don't complain about travel, lack of competition, or starting your own association. The true whine has already been read by everyone who clicks on here. Have fun with your season and I am sure we will all see several of your coaches around the area!!

What I have never been able to remotely understand is without exception it's the parents choice as to where his or her child attends high school. If a parent wishes to drive from gallatin to Ensworth it's their right to do so, regardless of the financial arrangement. There are some kids who go to BA for the football program and I don't blame them if they can get into the school.

The facilities , coaching and environment are all top notch but that all comes at a price even for a family who sacrifices financially to send their child there--- and many do. I was walking off the field last year when BA played a public school and I heard several of the football players on the opposing team say how nice it would be to attend BA .

It's a sacrifice for many parents I know to send just one kid there and 100 percent of the time it's the parents choice to do so

No one is asking you to become a public school. Just level the playing field. But even you will not admit to such a huge advantage and there lies the problem. So we get threads like this one. A huge rant then a reply then the person replying gets accused of whining because they pointed out situations and facts and even coaches who once coached for privates that acknowledge the difference. That's fine. Don't complain about travel, lack of competition, or starting your own association. The true whine has already been read by everyone who clicks on here. Have fun with your season and I am sure we will all see several of your coaches around the area!!