A friendly letter to our prospective new DII brethren

WesVLT

I can't possibly fathom why a Gallatin fan of all people would be on here complaining about private schools and what they do. Even with that "grossly unfair advantage" known as financial aid, Gallatin still routinely beat all the private schools in the play-offs, financial aid and all, including MBA several times.  Many of those victories were over MBA teams coached by unanimous TSSAA HOF coach Tommy Owen.

I always wonder....if we at MBA were coached by HOF coach, and had this unfair advantage to boot, then how is it possible that MBA never even played for a state title in the pre-split play-off era?  I mean, were we truly just that incompetent to squander such a clear unfair advantage?  I guess so, and the TN Coaches Group really got it wrong putting Tommy Owen in the Coaches Hall of Fame.

• Upvote 1

Oh ok I see your point...every kid starts in Elementary school. Oh could I have missed that!! I guess someone needs to tell the assistant coaches that go to the middle school games not to since your private schools are full!! I have given you examples and you still evade the question. Adapt a zone and stop giving out financial aid and then nobody could complain because the field would have been heavily leveled. Come back and play in this pitiful TSSAA high school league with these unworthy public schools.

Why would MBA, BA, Ensworth, Baylor, etc..ever want to stop what they are doing at the present time? Most all of the major D1 colleges are showing up to their campus recruiting their football players. It was recently published that D2AA is the 3rd toughest high school football league in the country behind a league in Texas and the Greater Cincinnati Catholic League. Edited by cbg

I do remember a time when DII had a lot of Classy posters on here . 

I like to think I would qualify as one of those. Speaking for myself, so many of the posts are not about football, but rather are just tirades against the private schools and ad hominems against those of us who support them. It just reached a point where ti wasn't a lot of fun. Perhaps the biggest loss is the departure of the BA posters, who were, to the best of my recollection, without exception the classiest and most incisive posters on here. They knew football, could discuss it objectively, handled their wins with class and their losses with grace.

And there are a lot of classy DI posters (like yourself), but they're not generally the ones we see here.

No I would win over and over again!! I have never heard of a not very athletic kid getting financial aid to play a sport. Always one of the better players!! Having talked to a former BA player who admitted to me that he was recruited back in the 80's my opinion has not changed. Why don't you just drop the financial aid packages altogether and have a zone like some other states do and come back and play the publics?? Yeah thought so!!! And by the way open zones do not concern me near as much as private schools who raid other teams for talent. I know that 3 were offered financial aid to attend JP2 from Gallatin this past year. One accepted, a starting QB from middle school who I guarantee will not sit the bench come varsity play. Quit acting like an elitist and know that the playing field is not nor was not fair!! And I did not want a split nor do I oppose privates having representation on the board. Just acknowledge you have a very competitive advantage!! Gallatin has played their fair share of privates as well. Baylor, Father Ryan, JP2, MBA, and McCallie over the last 30 years only BA refused to play Gallatin in the late 80's and early 90's. Ask Carlton Flatt!! Or ask Scott Meadows both have admitted to having an unfair advantage. So do your research but I am not giving you a hard time!!

What does a student pay to attend Gallatin High School?  If they do not pay the full tuition, then are they receiving financial aid?  I know some will bring up the tax issue, remember, however, those that send their children to private school are paying taxes as well.

If this not financial aid, what is?  Somebody else covering the cost of education?  If they do not, then they are receiving financial aid.  Also, open zoning opens a whole new can of worms.  When Riverdale was winning back in the day, was M'boro an open zone community?  Is it still?  M'boro has grown so much they have added multiple high school so if it is not open zoning, it would be harder to win.

Just a thought.

P.S.  Recruiting goes on everywhere, if you do not believe it, you are in denial.  Public and Private schools do it.  Read what the TSSAA said about it.  DI was the culprit.

When was the last time Father Ryan played Gallatin in football since your mentioned them?  Just curious.  

Financial aid is not only for athletics.  There are other students that receive financial aid from MBA/Baylor/McCallie etc and other private schools that do not participate in athletics.  You would be amazed at those that are in other programs.

Edited by facenthecrowd

The advantage of privates just got bigger as now they have their own representation on the BOC and legislative council and still have the ability to obtain the seats that are currently on those bodies. Why do privates get preferential treatment over public schools now? Those members should have to be elected by member schools just like the previous 9 seats.

The advantage of privates just got bigger as now they have their own representation on the BOC and legislative council and still have the ability to obtain the seats that are currently on those bodies. Why do privates get preferential treatment over public schools now? Those members should have to be elected by member schools just like the previous 9 seats.

You have to be voted to that position.  Do you honestly think a potential private school rep would receive votes from public schools to represent them?  No.  That's why there is not a rep for private schools nor would there be in this enviroment unless the rules are changed (as they will and should be).

Don't get your panties in a wad Gerry, publics will still out number privates 9-3 in voting so I fully expect another private/public split to be voted on in the next year or two.

You have to be voted to that position. Do you honestly think a potential private school rep would receive votes from public schools to represent them? No. That's why there is not a rep for private schools nor would there be in this enviroment unless the rules are changed (as they will and should be).

Don't get your panties in a wad Gerry, publics will still out number privates 9-3 in voting so I fully expect another private/public split to be voted on in the next year or two.

By making this move the TSSAA just ensured the split will never happen.

Why do the private schools get double the opportunity to be on the BOC and Legislative Council? Why do private schools get more representation per capita?

By making this move the TSSAA just ensured the split will never happen.

Why do the private schools get double the opportunity to be on the BOC and Legislative Council? Why do private schools get more representation per capita?

You never answered my question........with all the hate being directed at private schools from public schools, do you honestly believe enough public schools would vote for a private school rep to represent them on the boards?

If you answer that truthfully, you'll have the answer as to why the privates will now get 3 out of 12 seats.

I like to think I would qualify as one of those. Speaking for myself, so many of the posts are not about football, but rather are just tirades against the private schools and ad hominems against those of us who support them. It just reached a point where ti wasn't a lot of fun. Perhaps the biggest loss is the departure of the BA posters, who were, to the best of my recollection, without exception the classiest and most incisive posters on here. They knew football, could discuss it objectively, handled their wins with class and their losses with grace.

And there are a lot of classy DI posters (like yourself), but they're not generally the ones we see here.

Yes Definitely You KWoodroof and rollredroll , Big red big Blue , RedTwin , along with many more excellent DII Posters ... wish you guys would post more ! I also Hope Maryville can play some of you guys sometime soon in a real game too ... I get so tired of hearing about "Out of State" when we have several teams right here in Tennessee DII That would be awesome games to see . 

Oh Ya , I can't leave out BaylorBigDog !! Another Excellent , Classy Poster . 

Edited by pepvol
  • Upvote 1

You never answered my question........with all the hate being directed at private schools from public schools, do you honestly believe enough public schools would vote for a private school rep to represent them on the boards?

If you answer that truthfully, you'll have the answer as to why the privates will now get 3 out of 12 seats.

Your logic makes no sense as each seat is voted on by each member school, so why do privates get two voted now? The person elected is the person who the majority of schools feel like will represent them in the best manner.

You love to use the phrase everyone wants a trophy when discussing the split, well this is the same concept. If private schools want representation then when the vote

If you answer that truthfully, you'll have the answer as to why the privates will now get 3 out of 12 seats.

"Hate"= hyperbole

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this mess. I am from Gallatin and proud of our community and school both academically and athletically. I could care less about DII, DI or the TSSAA. I've seen Gallatin play several privates through the years and stand tall. The 9th grade football team plays JPII this year at JPII. Regardless, if I had to, I would pay for my child to go to Gallatin. I love my community and school.

Edited by TheRealTruth