Will this happen in TN?

BT Mafia

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're correct.  But would it really be so bad if that happened?  No.  You play for the first name, not for the wildcats, bears, owls, rebels, or rednecks.  If a mascot defines yours school then there are more issues at play then somone taking away a mascot.   

Yes!  Yes it would!  I'd be pissed and so would a great many other people!  Keep in mind we are the Indians who happen to be a county named Sequatchie which is in the heart of the Sequatchie Valley.   Sequatchie is named after a Cherokee Chief Sequachee. 

This whole country is being torn apart at the seams right now over crazy issues that someone would have thought should have been done with a long time ago. I certainly would be very hurt if Maryville had to change their name and so would all the fans and supporters of the program. Our name Rebels has zero to do with the Civil War but an incident that happened back in the 1930's that honored a group of kids that played on a team that was suspended from the TSSAA for an ineligible player the year before. Those kids were determined to play football that year but against all out of state programs. The coach called those kids Rebels because of their fight to play football that year under the circumstances and has been the name ever since. I'm sure over the years the logo's appeared and other things such as the flags but most of that has been done away with. I said a long time ago this government knows just about how much they can take away from us before people rise up and do something about it. The time has finally come where certain groups have been pushed to their limits and are prepared to take action if need be and I pray for a miracle this don't happen in my lifetime but the sad truth is that the limits have finally been pushed with some people. I blame social media for a lot of this now where someone voices their opinion or beliefs and don't stop with it there but tries to cram it down someone else's throat or starts their group of believers and it goes on and on from there. At one time I could tell anyone I don't know when the last time I've seen a Rebel Flag but today I couldn't drive down the road this morning to get a newspaper without seeing  at least a dozen and that's people sending a message loud and clear to say that they've had just enough and their tired of being pushed around.

This whole country is being torn apart at the seams right now over crazy issues that someone would have thought should have been done with a long time ago. I certainly would be very hurt if Maryville had to change their name and so would all the fans and supporters of the program. Our name Rebels has zero to do with the Civil War but an incident that happened back in the 1930's that honored a group of kids that played on a team that was suspended from the TSSAA for an ineligible player the year before. Those kids were determined to play football that year but against all out of state programs. The coach called those kids Rebels because of their fight to play football that year under the circumstances and has been the name ever since. I'm sure over the years the logo's appeared and other things such as the flags but most of that has been done away with. I said a long time ago this government knows just about how much they can take away from us before people rise up and do something about it. The time has finally come where certain groups have been pushed to their limits and are prepared to take action if need be and I pray for a miracle this don't happen in my lifetime but the sad truth is that the limits have finally been pushed with some people. I blame social media for a lot of this now where someone voices their opinion or beliefs and don't stop with it there but tries to cram it down someone else's throat or starts their group of believers and it goes on and on from there. At one time I could tell anyone I don't know when the last time I've seen a Rebel Flag but today I couldn't drive down the road this morning to get a newspaper without seeing  at least a dozen and that's people sending a message loud and clear to say that they've had just enough and their tired of being pushed around.

That's probably the most ironic thing about all of this. I've seen more stars and bars flying in the last month than I have in the rest of my life combined.

Me and my dad were saying the exact same thing the other day.

It's not the first time a PC stunt has completely backfired, and it certainly won't be the last. I could understand them wanting to take the flag down off the South Carolina capitol building, I really could. I even supported that as a simple gesture after the Charleston shooting; But beyond that, the left-wing media completely s*** the bed on all of this confederate nonsense. From the removal of statues, the desecration of civil war graves, etc. it created more tension than it eased IMO.

It just goes to show that you cannot legislate your social issues away. That's just not how the world works.  

Edited by MSURacer

It's not the first time a PC stunt has completely backfired, and it certainly won't be the last. I could understand them wanting to take the flag down off the South Carolina capitol building, I really could. I even supported that as a simple gesture after the Charleston shooting; But beyond that, the left-wing media completely s*** the bed on all of this confederate nonsense. From the removal of statues, the desecration of civil war graves, etc. it created more tension than it eased IMO.

It just goes to show that you cannot legislate your social issues away. That's just not how the world works.  

Goodur points MSURacur... :thumb: 

How's McCord lookin' fer tha Patriots...???..... :popcorneater:

Goodur points MSURacur... :thumb:

How's McCord lookin' fer tha Patriots...???..... :popcorneater:

He's doing well, Stars. He's seeing some action at RB so far in camp along with a handful of others. Additionally, he's the type who could also switch over and play defense as well if we needed him to. He's just a good football player who's been a real asset thus far. We're happy to have him!

And congrats to Murvil on having such a good showing against Ensworth! Sounds like it's business as usual in yalls neck of the woods!

Agreed. I personally don't think it should be flown on any governmental building, but everybody is free to express themselves how they want to on a personal level. That's what this country was founded upon.