coaches whom curse alot

fooseball96

Gaddis cusses a bit, but I've never seen him use anything remotely close to vulgarity, but he does cuss. He'd be the first one to tell ya that, and if asked he'd probably say yep, I do, who gives a da*&? lol Jack Armstrong (one of our great coaches) was the biggest rabble rouser this side of the Mississippi. Very rough around the edges, and was even known to break a clipboard or 2 over a kids helmet, but those days were just different. In the 50's and 60's coaches could get away with that stuff. With our soft society now Jack's tenure at OR would've been over before it ever started.

Edited by SweetScience

A well places four letter word on occasion might can refocus attention of players.

A coach, especially in high school, who uses them nonstop, probably doesn't have much else he can offer. IMO.

You being from Lexington probably know (or know of) a certain coach from Henderson and Decatur Countiy's past who cussed like a sailor. He coached for many years at Lexington, Riverside, and Scotts Hill, in multiple sports, and I never met anyone who ever played for him that wouldn't run through a block wall to please him, and whenever he's in public, he is surrounded by former players expressing their affection for him. I don't believe that most people could pull this off, but it was just his personality, and it seems that no one took offense to the language used because he genuinely loved the kids.

There's not a "right way" or "wrong way" to coach a sport...I could never cuss a kid and get his respect, because it's just not me, and the kids would resent me for it, but some can (and do) without any negative response.

I agree that cussing in general and cussing at a kid are different, and that there are certain words that should never be used, but the kids are the ultimate judge of whether or not a particular coach can cuss without negative results.

You being from Lexington probably know (or know of) a certain coach from Henderson and Decatur Countiy's past who cussed like a sailor. He coached for many years at Lexington, Riverside, and Scotts Hill, in multiple sports, and I never met anyone who ever played for him that wouldn't run through a block wall to please him, and whenever he's in public, he is surrounded by former players expressing their affection for him. I don't believe that most people could pull this off, but it was just his personality, and it seems that no one took offense to the language used because he genuinely loved the kids.

There's not a "right way" or "wrong way" to coach a sport...I could never cuss a kid and get his respect, because it's just not me, and the kids would resent me for it, but some can (and do) without any negative response.

I agree that cussing in general and cussing at a kid are different, and that there are certain words that should never be used, but the kids are the ultimate judge of whether or not a particular coach can cuss without negative results.

No doubt if it is who I assume it is. Agree some can pull it off because it is just who they are, it's just not my thing nor would I want my kids around it if given the opportunity.

You also make a good point that if the kids can tell the coach genuinely cares about them, that's all that matters at the end.

No doubt if it is who I assume it is. Agree some can pull it off because it is just who they are, it's just not my thing nor would I want my kids around it if given the opportunity.

You also make a good point that if the kids can tell the coach genuinely cares about them, that's all that matters at the end.

If you have an idea that you might know, then you know...could only be one, and that in it's self says that it's a rare thing.

After reading my post back, it seems that I condone cursing to make a point...I don't. Both Bob Knight and Dean Smith were great coaches, yet I hold Coach Smith in higher regard because of his character. I guess that the point was that you can't generalize. On one hand cursing isn't a good thing in any situation...on the other, that's just who the man was, and he gave the kids everything that he had in order to make them better.