Goodpasture Football 2015

Rainwater

Your right...Martin is in the playoffs and even Mote (who everyone thought was a bad coach) has gone to a school that has never played a varsity season and won 2 games.  Joslin is a good coach and is probably going to go 0-10.  Could it be something other than the Head Coach at GP that is the problem?  

I'd say there is a couple of things.  RP, administration, and board decision making to this point in football has been questionable.  If you are going to let Martin go, spend some money and get a proven guy.  Not the guy who is below .500 as a coach and is CofC.  Mote was a disaster after letting Martin go.  Then after going 0-10 last season, they fire Mote mid-season, and go get Joslin. Coach Joslin will build it up again, but it's going to take some time.  But jumping back to 3A after going 0-10 was a terrible decision, and I don't see the point.  The talent isn't there to compete in 1A, much less 3A.   They have depth in the younger grades and will be competitive in time.  You got to have the Jimmies and Joes, and we don't have enough of them.  They need to consider D2 at some point.  They aren't willing to spend the money to get a top-notch coach/staff.   

It's been just one bad decision after another for this program and athletics in general over here.  Really disappointed in the lack of leadership on the athletics part to this point. 

I'd say there is a couple of things. RP, administration, and board decision making to this point in football has been questionable. If you are going to let Martin go, spend some money and get a proven guy. Not the guy who is below .500 as a coach and is CofC. Mote was a disaster after letting Martin go. Then after going 0-10 last season, they fire Mote mid-season, and go get Joslin. Coach Joslin will build it up again, but it's going to take some time. But jumping back to 3A after going 0-10 was a terrible decision, and I don't see the point. The talent isn't there to compete in 1A, much less 3A. They have depth in the younger grades and will be competitive in time. You got to have the Jimmies and Joes, and we don't have enough of them. They need to consider D2 at some point. They aren't willing to spend the money to get a top-notch coach/staff.

It's been just one bad decision after another for this program and athletics in general over here. Really disappointed in the lack of leadership on the athletics part to this point.

Smokestack

You make good points here. In hindsight it appears that the Mote hire was not good for either party. In your opinion if Coach Joslin was hired vs Mote after Martin left, what would have happened? I understand last year and this year there has been a talent drop, but I understand that Motes first year there was a boatload of very good SR talent. In your opinion, could Joslin have done better than 6-6 record Mote had?

The talent was definitely there but also think there was a lot of issues. Wasn't this the class that got Martin fired and doing some illegal drug activity. Sounds like they may have had some issues personally with the kids and leadership from that team doesn't seem to have been all that good if that was the case. If I remember right, the only team they lost to that was in their classification though was Trousdale (Who took home the Gold Ball and went undefeated). I'm in no way defending anyone or anything as I don't think they should have hired Mote, but I also think he was put in a no win situation that made it a bad fit for both GP and Mote. I just think GP has problems way up the food chain. I hope Joslin turns it around but GP isn't the GP of the past. (Two different head coaches about to go 0-10 in consecutive years).

First of all Goodpasture gives work study and has since the early 1990's. All work study is a loophole in the financial aid rule that has now been closed. I would assume they go to Division II, but remember the first time they went it did not work out too good.  Also just look at the faculty turnover not just coaches that has changed since RP took over. I understand he wants to do things his way, but you also need to keep whats still working. I am an alumni of the school, played 3 sports there and even interviewed for the job when Martin was let go. I can tell you that he is good man, but I don't agree with his way of running the school. I know the academics were strong and most of sports were strong (basketball had fallen on hard times). So the changes were not needed, the only mistake that was made was the Chas Parrish hire as girls basketball coach. Football is on a down turn, so is softball, those are two once proud programs with great traditions. Baseball could be following that same path. 

First of all Goodpasture gives work study and has since the early 1990's. All work study is a loophole in the financial aid rule that has now been closed. I would assume they go to Division II, but remember the first time they went it did not work out too good.  Also just look at the faculty turnover not just coaches that has changed since RP took over. I understand he wants to do things his way, but you also need to keep whats still working. I am an alumni of the school, played 3 sports there and even interviewed for the job when Martin was let go. I can tell you that he is good man, but I don't agree with his way of running the school. I know the academics were strong and most of sports were strong (basketball had fallen on hard times). So the changes were not needed, the only mistake that was made was the Chas Parrish hire as girls basketball coach. Football is on a down turn, so is softball, those are two once proud programs with great traditions. Baseball could be following that same path. 

Lot of truth in this post.  Lots of turnover in the faculty with both teaching and coaching.   With coaching, I think a lot of the football guys were loyal to Martin, which made it hard for Mote in the first place.  Letting Estep walk was a mistake.  Not as many transfers coming to GP these days in football or softball.  And in fairness, not as much homegrown talent either.  

Young Cougars looked like a JV squad against CPA.   We literally just wanted the game over.   Long season again this year.   Martin in the playoff this season at Stewarts Creek might be the worst coaching change decision ever.   

My son is a freshman on this team and we would have left the school if Martin was still the coach.

Well I played for Coach Martin so I am little biased, but you could not play for a better coach. 

I'm still very close to my high school coaches at Hendersonville and would stand up for them all day long as well. 

My son has gone to GP since Pre-K and have watched the GP football program for awhile. its just my personal opinion that my son would not play for that type of coach. 

If you wouldnt let your son play for Coach Martin, then you didnt know him very well. Granted, he did not handle things well with RP and the administration, but he is a man of integrity. While the adminstration was getting bullied by absurd parents that wanted a 3-time state champion fired, he stood by his principles. Again, he didnt handle things well, but to say your son would not have played for him leads me to believe you are about your son, and not the team...:which is exactly why GP is where they are at.

Some of the people over here got exactly what they deserved. The athletics are deteriorating, and the current administration is doing very little at this time about it.