Union City travels to Humboldt

fallguy17

Yes, our opponents have been on that band wagon for a couple of years now. Coach Bowling tried to get us moved to 2A this year, but TSSAA turned us down. Next year everyone gets their wish, we will be playing in 2A. Then everyone can complain about Peabody, Huntingdon, and Dresden.

We play 2A but I have no problem admitting that if UC had played up to 2A it would have been easier for them. Nobody in 2A could stay within 2 TD's. 1A is tougher this year with Huntingdon, Dresden, TP and NCS. UC is a dynasty and may be for awhile. I do think the two best 1A teams are UC and Huntingdon. Would love to see that game.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah I will get that done in my next meeting with the TSSAA.

We know how you feel BigSwo--we kept getting told the same thing when we had our glory years ----it was either move up in classification or tell the young kids to take a knee on every snap so the score didn't get ran up

Edited by piratetom

Yes, our opponents have been on that band wagon for a couple of years now. Coach Bowling tried to get us moved to 2A this year, but TSSAA turned us down. Next year everyone gets their wish, we will be playing in 2A. Then everyone can complain about Peabody, Huntingdon, and Dresden.

. Alright I will be the first to say that regardless of whether UC played in 1A or 2A the past 2 years it wouldn't have mattered, they are that good, and it is not their fault that they live in a county with open enrollment either, and even if they didn't it wouldn't change their talent level due to the fact that most of them are UC residents. However, in my opinion they do benefit more than almost any other school from open enrollment due to the fact that any kid living in union city has the option to attend another high school if they want to, therefore dropping their enrollment while most likely maintaining kids who are interested in athletics due to their strong programs. According to recent census, UC has a population of 10,800 compared to other big 1A schools like Trenton 4,200 and Dresden 3,005. The fact that a town of 10000 is playing 1A football is quite a disparity, without open enrollment that's like 3A right?

I'm so tired of answering this question or debate or whatever you want to call it. The Obion County Central busses run all over Union City. I have 2 that run in my neighborhood every day. The truth of the matter is that we have lost far more students to the county than we have gained. If you came to UC and asked to check out our school you would be taken on a tour of the academic portion of the school. No one is shown the gym or the field house or the stadium. I mean no one. The focus is on academics. We have a very high standard for studies here in UC. If I could get you guys to understand that this is the reason a lot of the students living in the city limits choose to go to the county then maybe we can come to an understanding on this. Another reason, and I hate to admit it, is because of race. You guys can believe what has been said over and over again or not. I don't care. We will be in 2A next year and be out of the 1A debate. However I believe there will be the same things said when we win there too.