DB FOOTBALL=TIME FOR A CHANGE!

DBfaninthe37660

So obviously you're a teacher. I'll say I again. Teaching or coaching is not a hard job compared to the jobs I listed. And don't talk down about the people that hold those jobs. Without them you probably wouldn't even be able to leave your house. And to add to that 50% of those teaching today are a complete joke. I'm assuming you are in the other 50%.  DB doesn't have good coaches at some positions. That's a proven fact. Live with it.

I believe you said that teaching is not "real work". 

I do not disagree with you about the jobs you listed being real work.  I do not disagree that those jobs may be more physically exhausting then teaching.  I was not talking down on any of the jobs,  I was simply using your examples about what you believe "real work" is. 

I totally agree that we need workers in all different fields to make our communities and our country function.  And for your 50-50 comment, much like in any profession there are employees that do exceptional jobs and those that should look for other employment.  Most teachers that are not producing are not in the profession very long anymore. 

I guess my previous posts on this topic were not as clear as what I intended them to be. 

If HS coaches only job is to coach a sport, then I agree they should be held accountable for the product on the field/court or other area of competition.  College and professional coaches are out if they do not produce, the majority of them are not teaching college courses and lesson planning throughout the week like HS coaches are doing for their students. 

And yes, I am a teacher.  I do not coach any sport, but I do have friends that are coaches and I see the sacrifices they make as well as sacrifices their families make.  Most of them are coaching because they enjoy helping young people strive to be better.  If they are coaching for a reason other then that, they will weed theirself out.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is obvious, from your postings, that you haven't been around too many teachers and have no idea what they do or put up with every day. You wouldn't last an hour.

Perhaps you could direct me to the proof that "DB doesn't have good coaches at some positions".

I know what teachers do and put up with. It's not a hard job compared to the jobs I mentioned. Get over yourself. I also see the product teachers are turning out today. Shameful. Not all teachers. But many teachers have no business in the classroom. Look at the statistics for the defense the past 5 years at DB for you're proof. Look at passing yardage given up. There's your proof.

I guess we left out the other plausibility, that is the other teams are just that good. That doesn't seem likely to me (except for Maryville and Blackman), but in interest of full disclosure we'll include it..

In a perfect world, DB would have had one of the better defensive lines in the state next year.With one transfer coming in, and what's left getting healthy, it could be much better anyway.Just my thoughts, but depth because of injuries and players leaving sent a wave that Got bigger as the season went along.When you have backs playing on your defensive front, it can't be a good sign.DB has not had many big and strong fronts for several years.I don't care if you have D1 players all over the secondary, they are going to give up plays .That's why I won't ever throw off on a couple of coaches that catch hail.

I'll say this about teachers.My uncle was on the short list to catch a ride on the space shuttle about 30 years ago.He has had a great career that has included being a principal of a high school and holding several high jobs in education.He also runs a huge dairy farm .I guess he is some what of a model for what a super teacher should be like.Teachers that do their jobs are paid shet for what they are worth to all of us.Yes, there are a few that can't show up for work and would get fired today if they were working for my uncle, but most are really good and should be paid more.

Just for the record when I was a student at DB, most if not all the Coaches were Physical Education,Wellness or Drivers Ed teachers. GC had only the football players in PE class and always was in the weight room or doing some running. There was a few coaches that taught other classes such as History and Economics, and I remember a few coaches that had Study Hall and ISS(IN-SCHOOL SUSPENSION). WaCoJaCo I still agree with all you say my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this in another thread by TNbroadcaster. Thought it would be good to put here. While I think we need a new coach, everyone is going to have to be all in to change the system when the new coach is here.

As we look back of the past year broadcasting games all over this state and in Alabama there once again is a common theme. The schools that have built a program from middle school on up with a consistent theme and step by step program always seem to come out on top. Yes, there are teams that occasionally have a few talented players that take them to the next level for a year or two only to fall back into the pack in the next few years. These are the team that usually face the program teams in the finals each year only to loose. We see these teams with that special talented player riding their backs into a good season every year. So, what does it take to be on top year after year? Its the development of the program from middle school on up. Weight training, conditioning, utilizing the same football scheme through out the entire program. We see these team reload every year and if you take a hard look these teams all do one thing and that's playing consistent fundamentally sound football and don't make a lot of mistakes. You only have to look at the number of players these schools put into division 1. It's always on a lower percentage than many of the other schools in the state. Why is that? It's because these teams were taught to play correctly and develop correctly. They all have the same common theme and a coach that lives and breaths the program. So, does throwing money at the program work? No, we see this all the time with that one financially secure parent willing the throw their money into the school in order to have their kid get a leg up on everyone else but after them move on so does their money. a school, its principal, the school board and every coach has to be on board to make the program work. Paul Brown, the late coach and owner of the Browns and the Bengals when he was a high school coach in Lima Ohio made it a practice to deliver a football to every new born baby boy born in the town. Why did he do this? To set the tone for the program. Every young man in that town grew up wanting to play at Lima and for Coach Brown. You see , its all about the program that makes the success. What is your school doing..

Edited by hssportsfanatic

Hey DB guys, I know this will never happen, but if there is any way you could drop down to 5A then I think you have a shot at Cookeville.     Need proof?    Sevier County, representing the east in the 5A title game, only had 2 losses this year, and one of them was to DB.    Am I saying DB drops and is playing for a title immediately?    No of course not, but I think you guys would have a realistic shot at it.      To make that happen would mean giving up about 500 students to North, South and Central.     Or maybe this mythical new Sullivan County school.     Something to think about.....   Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all, see you again in 2016