DB FOOTBALL=TIME FOR A CHANGE!

DBfaninthe37660

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a positive note.I watched Ty playing against ND this weekend.I think Wake might have a little something in the future with such a young team.The DB band got 3ed in the nation in their class this weekend and 12th best band over all.Pretty darn good !

3rd is impressive, but really I can't imagine how 2 other bands could be better than DB.   Of course a band contest is a little more subjective than a football game.

Back to football.....  This is the first time since 2008 that DB has had to play mostly 6A schools.  As long as the Super32 is here there will be no more seasons where at least half the wins are 65-7 over smaller local schools.     It will take some time for DB to be able to adjust to playing with the big boys week in and week out.     Science Hill did pretty well in the regular season, but even at that both DB and SH are just nowhere near the level of the 6A middle TN schools.  Waco has some good ideas about the D, for DB and SH the D simply has to get better or it is going to be an early playoff exit year after year.

DB

3rd is impressive, but really I can't imagine how 2 other bands could be better than DB.   Of course a band contest is a little more subjective than a football game.

Back to football.....  This is the first time since 2008 that DB has had to play mostly 6A schools.  As long as the Super32 is here there will be no more seasons where at least half the wins are 65-7 over smaller local schools.     It will take some time for DB to be able to adjust to playing with the big boys week in and week out.     Science Hill did pretty well in the regular season, but even at that both DB and SH are just nowhere near the level of the 6A middle TN schools.  Waco has some good ideas about the D, for DB and SH the D simply has to get better or it is going to be an early playoff exit year after year.

Yep,I don't think there is a better band in the country.Might be a couple that are just as good but not any better.Now to football.Five years ago,I said DB would have a group of players that could be special when they got to high school.That group is not nearly as big as it was back then.There is where the problem begains but doesn't end.If that whole bunch of 10th and 11th graders were still on board,there would still be some problems.A couple are self inflected problems and the reason the group is smaller.That said,DB still has the talent on the coaching staff and the players that are left to compete next year.Not with Maryville or for a title but for sure enough to have a winning record and do well even in the new conference.If two or three of the coaches that are on staff were turned loose to run the weight room how they wanted,that would be much better but not perfect.DB is a weak team and has been for years.You take a stronger team with the same staff and that's a world of difference.You take a defensive front that is very strong and just gets all over the QB and into the backfield,then you have LB's that don't have to blitz and DB's that don't have to cover near as long.What a difference that makes and on offense your line blows open holes,even when the box is loaded.Hail,I could coach such a team as this.Next,every coach learns how to treat the players with respect when they have earned it.There are some very good ones on staff,but every coach needs this skill set.There are atleast three ways to coach and positive reinforcement is a whole lot better then negative coaching and a hail of a lot better then punishment. 

Hey Dark Knight.  I've been watching and listening for some time now.  I attended 3 Dobyns Bennett games this year, and part of the time, I forced myself to watch different positions in action (rather than just watching the ball all the time).  I was trying to get a feel for the game schemes of the position coaches.  From what I have learned, being a transplant into this community, and watching high school football for 30+ years, here's my 2 cents:

1.   The AD is a horse's ### and needs to go first.  First hand experiences.

2.   Coach Clark would make an amazing AD, if he wants it.  But you can't force him to step down as HC.  He's there until he doesn't want to be there.

3.   Hold tight to the O-line coach, and the linebackers coach. 

4.   Replace the D-backs' coach and whoever is calling the offensive plays.

5.   Bring in a new head coach that will light a fire and won't care if he has the room laughing (like a Ballard).  Specifically, go after Coach Rob Black.  Black at DB would be scary good.

6.  After hiring Coach Black, hire a real, experienced, educated, person for the strength program.  I'd look to the college ranks to find someone that knows what next level is.  DB has the facilities in place already.  Year round plans and inspire the kids to work year round.

7.   Let the new HC put his new OC in place.  

8.   Just like Science Hill, prior to the arrival of Stacy Carter, there is a lot of talent walking the halls in Kingsport.  Find out how Coach Carter has gotten that talent out, and do that.  Not that Carter is the greatest, in fact I'm not a fan.  But it can't be denied that he turned around what was a terrible 6A program.

8.5   Put all this in place and then quit whining about it.  It's going to take time.  Not ETSU kind of time, but the new HC deserves support and support only.

Hope some of this makes sense, and you guy don't just sling mud at me.  I will throw pudding back.  You've been warned.

Pudding

......   There are at least three ways to coach and positive reinforcement is a whole lot better then negative coaching and a hail of a lot better then punishment. 

Batman, I could not agree more with the above statement, very profound and you said it well.    Wish another area high school (*ahem* cough ** cough ...) could grasp this concept.

Batman, I could not agree more with the above statement, very profound and you said it well.    Wish another area high school (*ahem* cough ** cough ...) could grasp this concept.

I agree with Batman, mostly.

But, blazer, I've seen many of your games over the past several years too.  In my opinion, you have one of the best coaches in area at HC, in Coach Jenkins.  There's just not a lot of talent in Gray right now.  He'd be a rock star at a school with consistent talent.

I agree with Batman, mostly.

But, blazer, I've seen many of your games over the past several years too.  In my opinion, you have one of the best coaches in area at HC, in Coach Jenkins.  There's just not a lot of talent in Gray right now.  He'd be a rock star at a school with consistent talent.

Yep, not many horses left in our stable.    Like DB and Science Hill, we are having to play the big boys now too (Sevier Co, both Motowns, etc.) thanks to conference realignment.    We are outmanned in almost every game and really have been for years.    Just wish that somebody, anybody, in the Tri-cities could make the magic run to Cookeville.....

Hey Dark Knight.  I've been watching and listening for some time now.  I attended 3 Dobyns Bennett games this year, and part of the time, I forced myself to watch different positions in action (rather than just watching the ball all the time).  I was trying to get a feel for the game schemes of the position coaches.  From what I have learned, being a transplant into this community, and watching high school football for 30+ years, here's my 2 cents:

1.   The AD is a horse's ### and needs to go first.  First hand experiences.

2.   Coach Clark would make an amazing AD, if he wants it.  But you can't force him to step down as HC.  He's there until he doesn't want to be there.

3.   Hold tight to the O-line coach, and the linebackers coach. 

4.   Replace the D-backs' coach and whoever is calling the offensive plays.

5.   Bring in a new head coach that will light a fire and won't care if he has the room laughing (like a Ballard).  Specifically, go after Coach Rob Black.  Black at DB would be scary good.

6.  After hiring Coach Black, hire a real, experienced, educated, person for the strength program.  I'd look to the college ranks to find someone that knows what next level is.  DB has the facilities in place already.  Year round plans and inspire the kids to work year round.

7.   Let the new HC put his new OC in place.  

8.   Just like Science Hill, prior to the arrival of Stacy Carter, there is a lot of talent walking the halls in Kingsport.  Find out how Coach Carter has gotten that talent out, and do that.  Not that Carter is the greatest, in fact I'm not a fan.  But it can't be denied that he turned around what was a terrible 6A program.

8.5   Put all this in place and then quit whining about it.  It's going to take time.  Not ETSU kind of time, but the new HC deserves support and support only.

Hope some of this makes sense, and you guy don't just sling mud at me.  I will throw pudding back.  You've been warned.

Pudding

Very good post. I agree almost 100%. Say 98.5%

Yep, not many horses left in our stable.    Like DB and Science Hill, we are having to play the big boys now too (Sevier Co, both Motowns, etc.) thanks to conference realignment.    We are outmanned in almost every game and really have been for years.    Just wish that somebody, anybody, in the Tri-cities could make the magic run to Cookeville.....

"Like DB and Science Hill" This new conference, take away Maryville, is no stronger than the Big East Conference that DB and Science Hill both played in for about 8 years. I think Science Hill is the biggest school in the conference. It's not like all of the sudden their in shock because their playing "BIG BOYS".

"Like DB and Science Hill" This new conference, take away Maryville, is no stronger than the Big East Conference that DB and Science Hill both played in for about 8 years. I think Science Hill is the biggest school in the conference. It's not like all of the sudden their in shock because their playing "BIG BOYS".

Uh, ok.... DB spent the last 6 years playing 70% local teams, then in 2015 started in the new 6A conference.     So you are equating Bearden, Bradley Central, Jeff Co, etc. with Volunteer, Central, Crockett, Boone, etc.?