Jealous Hate Much?

Science Hill:

1. 9-2

2. 2nd in Conference to Maryville

3. 4 Straight against DB

4. Hosting Playoff Game this Friday

5. 38-9 over last 4 years

6. Trending UP!

ps The Big East had Campbell County, South Doyle and Karns and just saw where you were adamant that SH would be no better than 5-5 this year. That still would have had them finish above DB. Let the name calling begin!

For those of you who like stats here's something to chew on....   The following chart shows the regular season record for the last few years and in parenthesis is the number of wins against local teams and in brackets is the number of wins against teams west of MoTown.   So "2010 10-0 (7) [3]" reads as:  in the 2010 season the record was 10-0 with 7 wins against local Tri-cities teams and 3 wins against out of area teams.

2010  10-0  (7)  [3]

2011  10-0  (7)  [3]

2012  10-0  (7)  [3]

2013  6-4    (5)  [1]

2014  8-2    (5)  [3]

2015  4-5    (1)  [3]

There was a time way back when that DB was competitive with the big boys (i.e., teams west of Morristown), not so sure that's been the case the last few years though.     I think the fans have become complacent with 9 and 10 win seasons even if those wins are against local much smaller schools, it doesn't matter it's a win.      This year there is only one game against a local school and the results are obvious.     I would venture to say that the average fan would be happy going back to playing mostly local schools and getting the wins, but you hardcore HS football guys here on coachT know that is not really helping the program.

2010-2014:  44-6 with 31 of those 44 wins against local teams

2015:           4-6 with 1 out of the 4 wins against local teams

Back when DB was playing in the Big East and going deep in the playoffs there was one thing different people rarely talk about. DB ran the triple option and Clark was a master at coaching the different reads. It was the norm to see the power I or double slots, rarely did DB get in the gun. It was hard for teams to prepare for, especially if they didn't see it often. (that is why the academies give the big schools trouble in college). It is an offense that could put a less talented team at an advantage if they executed properly. This type of offense kept the defense off the field and always led to winning the time of possession game. This led to some great defenses back in the day. Think about it today's game is score in 3-4 plays or 3 and out punt, this puts the defense coming on the field every 2 minutes or so. Watson was a great D Coordinator and also a great o-line coach when it came to blocking schemes for the option. Seems like the last Science Hill game we saw some flashes of smash mouth football and time of possession which led to keeping a high powered offense in check. Somewhere along the line we lost that identity and thought we were a better tempo team? Maybe it was a QB that came along that wasn't suited to run the option or Clark just got bored and wanted to prove he could win in other ways. Anyone remember the great triple option and double slot QB's and back combos?

You should go watch the 2014 5A title game.  Knox West ran a very old school offense.  No shotgun snaps, every snap under center.  Only a couple of passes the entire game.   Backfield was something of a modified wishbone but the thing is their backs were through the line on every play so quickly that the defense had no time to react.   A very time control offense.   Not that pretty, not very flashy.   But Knox West has the 2014 5A Gold Ball in their trophy case....

Right on !!!! When the same ole defensive back field gets burned by one person or team - game after game and nothing is obviously done about it - "you have a dang coaching problem" - I know players have to execute but when their not taught the fundamentals of a Deffense back correctly "you have a coaching problem" !!

Never said they had "loads of talent". But I did say they had talent. Enough talent that they should of only lost two games during regular season and should of won a couple of playoff games. They had as much or more talent as Science Hill. 80% of the problem was the defensive coaches. I don't care what you say. I'm right about this. Actually it's so obvious I can't believe you or anybody else would try to say it's anything else.

Edited by kingindian33

You should go watch the 2014 5A title game.  Knox West ran a very old school offense.  No shotgun snaps, every snap under center.  Only a couple of passes the entire game.   Backfield was something of a modified wishbone but the thing is their backs were through the line on every play so quickly that the defense had no time to react.   A very time control offense.   Not that pretty, not very flashy.   But Knox West has the 2014 5A Gold Ball in their trophy case....

Knox West always ran the veer really well under Scott Cummings. What made West really dangerous in 2013 and 2014 was Seth Marshall and Nathan Cottrell. Those 2 guys could fly.

I feel like a crud for saying some of this but first of all your coach has went through total H E L L with the loss of one of his children this season in which we all pray for him because I couldn't imagine what he has went through. football takes a back seat to that and it don't matter who you are. The hard part of this is to say there needs to be change and to bring someone in with new ideas and has been very successful at their previous stop. The reason I say from somewhere else is that in order to break the cycle of the level of competition your in and go outside the box seeking better teams to scrimmage and schedule. If you go to someone inside the system it's like an ole saying I have"when your in the picture you can't see what everybody else is seeing but if your outside the picture then you can see what wrong and fix it". i find it hard to believe that the top powers there haven't done something and made changes unless it's a good ole boy's system and if that be the case your screwed.

I feel like a crud for saying some of this but first of all your coach has went through total H E L L with the loss of one of his children this season in which we all pray for him because I couldn't imagine what he has went through. football takes a back seat to that and it don't matter who you are. The hard part of this is to say there needs to be change and to bring someone in with new ideas and has been very successful at their previous stop. The reason I say from somewhere else is that in order to break the cycle of the level of competition your in and go outside the box seeking better teams to scrimmage and schedule. If you go to someone inside the system it's like an ole saying I have"when your in the picture you can't see what everybody else is seeing but if your outside the picture then you can see what wrong and fix it". i find it hard to believe that the top powers there haven't done something and made changes unless it's a good ole boy's system and if that be the case your screwed.

Don't know all the particulars f what is going on there, but I am inclined to believe that offensively and defensively if the scheme has not changed or been tweeked from game 1 to 11 then their should be some considerations there.  You guys do have talent and size regardless of what anyone else on this thread has said. It looked like being out of position at several positions was the culprit alot of this last game. That being said if you don't correct(truly work with that player ) you can expect people to continue to pick on that. I do hope that whatever happens you guys get it worked out . Good luck and God Bless THE DB Nation. 

Before the season started, I told a couple of my D-B fan coworkers that this year would be a reality check for their team, and the season played out just like I said it would. D-B traded what amounted to an extra 4 open dates (Boone/Crockett/Central/Volunteer) for 4 infinitely stronger opponents. Those games were actually better than 4 extra open dates, as they allowed the starters to get in some light work, then turn the majority of the snaps over to the reserves who got a lot of valuable game experience. This year, all you need to look at is the numbers. 

Combined record of opponents D-B beat: 21-23

Combined record of opponents D-B lost to: 58-21

D-B is a good program, but they have feasted for years on inferior competition. Sure, they have made a small handful of semifinals over the years, but that's no great feat when you are the state's "winningest" program. 

Before the season started, I told a couple of my D-B fan coworkers that this year would be a reality check for their team, and the season played out just like I said it would. D-B traded what amounted to an extra 4 open dates (Boone/Crockett/Central/Volunteer) for 4 infinitely stronger opponents. Those games were actually better than 4 extra open dates, as they allowed the starters to get in some light work, then turn the majority of the snaps over to the reserves who got a lot of valuable game experience. This year, all you need to look at is the numbers. 

Combined record of opponents D-B beat: 21-23

Combined record of opponents D-B lost to: 58-21

D-B is a good program, but they have feasted for years on inferior competition. Sure, they have made a small handful of semifinals over the years, but that's no great feat when you are the state's "winningest" program. 

I hate to put it so bluntly but you don't even have a clue. You only choose to look at a few numbers that support your argument. The offense played well enough to make this a 2 loss regular season. The breakdown was on the defense side of the ball. Have a look at those numbers and get back to me. The coaching on the defense side is the worst I have ever seen in high school football. DB gave up more points this season than any season in the history of the school. Sevier Co. had over 600 yards passing against us. We play Sevier Co. every year. So somehow they are all of the sudden tough competion that we're not used to. Its the defense stupid.

Yes it's the good ole boy system, and yes, we're screwed.

• Upvote 1

For those of you who like stats here's something to chew on....   The following chart shows the regular season record for the last few years and in parenthesis is the number of wins against local teams and in brackets is the number of wins against teams west of MoTown.   So "2010 10-0 (7) [3]" reads as:  in the 2010 season the record was 10-0 with 7 wins against local Tri-cities teams and 3 wins against out of area teams.

2010  10-0  (7)  [3]

2011  10-0  (7)  [3]

2012  10-0  (7)  [3]

2013  6-4    (5)  [1]

2014  8-2    (5)  [3]

2015  4-5    (1)  [3]

There was a time way back when that DB was competitive with the big boys (i.e., teams west of Morristown), not so sure that's been the case the last few years though.     I think the fans have become complacent with 9 and 10 win seasons even if those wins are against local much smaller schools, it doesn't matter it's a win.      This year there is only one game against a local school and the results are obvious.     I would venture to say that the average fan would be happy going back to playing mostly local schools and getting the wins, but you hardcore HS football guys here on coachT know that is not really helping the program.

2010-2014:  44-6 with 31 of those 44 wins against local teams

2015:           4-6 with 1 out of the 4 wins against local teams

Nobody wants to go back past 2010 with all these stats. When you do it ruins this thinking that DB can only win against the weak local teams. Pull up the stats of the Big East Conference where the only other local team in the conference was Science Hill (a larger school than DB). Tell us how many wins DB had during those years. Tell us how many times DB won the conference championship. There were no Central, Davey Crockett, Volunteer's on the schedules. The problem with DB football is the coaching on the defense side. I'm going to keep preaching this until you numskulls finally get it. Check the stats! Dang.

Nobody wants to go back past 2010 with all these stats. When you do it ruins this thinking that DB can only win against the weak local teams. Pull up the stats of the Big East Conference where the only other local team in the conference was Science Hill (a larger school than DB). Tell us how many wins DB had during those years. Tell us how many times DB won the conference championship. There were no Central, Davey Crockett, Volunteer's on the schedules. The problem with DB football is the coaching on the defense side. I'm going to keep preaching this until you numskulls finally get it. Check the stats! Dang.

Well of course, but what is relevant to this discussion is the past few years.  Heck we could go get stats from the 1950's, does that have anything to do with today?    The following quote in my original post "There was a time way back when that DB was competitive with the big boys (i.e., teams west of Morristown), not so sure that's been the case the last few years though." encompasses the pre-2010 time frame that you mention.      No doubt defense is a key part of the problem, but that's part of the game, it takes the complete package.     BTW, I read a lot on here about coach Watson, why did he leave, was it retirement, or going to another school?

Well of course, but what is relevant to this discussion is the past few years.  Heck we could go get stats from the 1950's, does that have anything to do with today?    The following quote in my original post "There was a time way back when that DB was competitive with the big boys (i.e., teams west of Morristown), not so sure that's been the case the last few years though." encompasses the pre-2010 time frame that you mention.      No doubt defense is a key part of the problem, but that's part of the game, it takes the complete package.     BTW, I read a lot on here about coach Watson, why did he leave, was it retirement, or going to another school?

I just think you need to include the years that DB played in the Big East Conference. That was not that long ago. You don't need to go back to the 1950's. If you include the Big East in you're stats that blows up everything. Those were the most successful years in modern times for DB football. I think 2008 was the last year of the Big East. There were no weak local teams on the schedule. DB won the Big East championship every year but one. With the exception of Science Hill (a larger school than DB) all the other teams in the conference were west of Morristown.  Coach Watson had some problems in his last years that we don't know about. He passed away a couple years after leaving DB. In my opinion he was the best DC in Tennessee high school football in his prime. And was a great motivator. DB football has been in a steady decline ever since his loss. They have made terrible choices in replacing him. Thats why I keep tell you guys to look a little deeper than these stats you keep pulling out. It has nothing to do with the competition. It's coaching on the defense side. Plain and simple.