Kingsport DB "3rd worst season record since 1921"

kingindian33

It's simple for myself.People can get on here and say what they want and it won't do a thing to help.I'd hate to be that fine young man's dad that's getting thrown under the bus.Wait ! I've got my own personal reasons to be pized but I can do something about that.If I had a kid that wanted to play,I'd support him 100%.........Now however, I don't and leave it alone ,understand. Don't waste your time with that phone call to me or try and buddy back up either.I'm not going to let every day be a bad one for my family because DB football is where it is right now.I wish the players and most coaches the best and if the powers that be are happy with DB football ,that's just fine.I can give several quick reasons and tell you why the bottom line is 4-7 but putting the blame on the players is not one of them.Todd

How is DB immune from A Drop Off in Talent and An Increase in Strength of Schedule? Unless you are Kentucky Basketball or the New England Patriots, where you can purchase talent it happens everywhere, all the time. It can make coaches look really bad. Short of some specific coaching changes happening over the last couple of years, therein lies the problem and will probably self correct in the next year or two.

Guest footballfan100

as I have friends in kpt, I like to keep up with db also, along with other area teams, I have noticed that now there are new posters on the topic who are downing certain players. like johndeer who has only 1 post and is talking about the qb and how its his fault he thinks. hmmmmm, maybe johndeer has a reason to be downing the qb play of the present qb and how its his FIRST post. you guys need to quit blaming the kids and making them go against their teammates because im sure that u r telling them this stuff at home.  im sure the qb is playing as coached!!!!!!

its just funny to me how the first post of a "new" poster is blaming the qb!!!!!

as I have friends in kpt, I like to keep up with db also, along with other area teams, I have noticed that now there are new posters on the topic who are downing certain players. like johndeer who has only 1 post and is talking about the qb and how its his fault he thinks. hmmmmm, maybe johndeer has a reason to be downing the qb play of the present qb and how its his FIRST post. you guys need to quit blaming the kids and making them go against their teammates because im sure that u r telling them this stuff at home.  im sure the qb is playing as coached!!!!!!

its just funny to me how the first post of a "new" poster is blaming the qb!!!!!

Maybe johndeer is a coach tryng to save his own a**

How is DB immune from A Drop Off in Talent and An Increase in Strength of Schedule? Unless you are Kentucky Basketball or the New England Patriots, where you can purchase talent it happens everywhere, all the time. It can make coaches look really bad. Short of some specific coaching changes happening over the last couple of years, therein lies the problem and will probably self correct in the next year or two.

It's pretty simple really. The decline in DB football started at the exact time Darrell Watson left the program. If you know what Watson did and how he did it and then look at the last two DC's and what has happened it is pretty clear it's coaching on he defense side. DB had the offense to go 9-1 this year.

Saw it... seems like the QB lost his mojo just before mid season. Didn't play like the same kid from that point on. Hope they get that remedied for next year because the kid has the physical tools to be good. As challenged as DB was on defense this year, the offense had problems of its own. There were 2-3 games the defense played good enough to win, but the INTS and fumbles cost DB the game. Didn't perform well under pressure.

Some want to put it all on defense and d-coaches, but that's probably due to some unresolved issues they may have with them. While it's true there are problems with the defense, it isn't the only area with room for improvement.

A few bright spots on both sides of the ball this year. Hope they learn from the struggles this year and get to work getting stronger and smarter next year. Otherwise, it will be exponentially worse for all involved.

I am saying and will keep saying. When you have a defense that can't slow down a middle school team it forces your offense to do things they don't want to do. You walk out on the field knowing you have to score to keep up. It forces you to take chances you wouldn't normally take.

It's pretty simple really. The decline in DB football started at the exact time Darrell Watson left the program. If you know what Watson did and how he did it and then look at the last two DC's and what has happened it is pretty clear it's coaching on he defense side. DB had the offense to go 9-1 this year.

Let's assume that Kingsport politics play out and nothing changes..... do you see mediocre DB teams for the duration of the Super32?

Dang I thought I had this figured out but now I'm confused again....    DB was 8-2 (reg season) in 2014 and only gave up >30 points in 3 games.   There were 2 shutouts and in 2 other games the opposition only scored 7.   2014 defense allowed an average of 19.9 points per game.     I would say that is a pretty decent defense, not great but not that bad.

For comparison, the 3 years DB reached the semis the defense gave up on average:

1998: 13.1

2000: 13.2

2002: 12.5

So 2014 D was within 6/7 points of DB's 3 best teams in recent years.

The 2015 defense gave up an average of 30 per game.

So was Watson there last year (2014), is 2015 when the dropoff occurred?

There is definitely something wrong at DB. Earlier in the year they looked like a really good football team and the wheels just came off midway through the season.

This is the first year since 2008 where DB had to play mostly non Tri-cities teams.   The 2009-2014 seasons featured at least half the games against much smaller outmanned local schools.    It is much more difficult to win week in and week out when you go west of Morristown.   I'm sorry but it just is.

DB fans, let me save you the trouble of responding with a vengeance....   there was a time when DB was playing mostly out of area teams and doing pretty well.  This was late 90's - early 00's.   But you have to remember that for the past 3 years the seniors on this team were used to winning half their games by the 2nd quarter and now all of a sudden in 2015 the starters are playing every down trying to claw out a win.     Given a few seasons to get used to the new conference and DB may be ok, but the schedule difference between 2014 and 2015 is just insane.

This is the first year since 2008 where DB had to play mostly non Tri-cities teams.   The 2009-2014 seasons featured at least half the games against much smaller outmanned local schools.    It is much more difficult to win week in and week out when you go west of Morristown.   I'm sorry but it just is.

DB fans, let me save you the trouble of responding with a vengeance....   there was a time when DB was playing mostly out of area teams and doing pretty well.  This was late 90's - early 00's.   But you have to remember that for the past 3 years the seniors on this team were used to winning half their games by the 2nd quarter and now all of a sudden in 2015 the starters are playing every down trying to claw out a win.     Given a few seasons to get used to the new conference and DB may be ok, but the schedule difference between 2014 and 2015 is just insane.

You can keep putting this up from now to the end of time and I'll just keep knocking it down. The problem is not the schedule. It's the coaching on the defense side of the ball. I'll give you another example. The offense played well enough to make this a 2 loss season. So how is the offense able to do well but not the defense if it's schedule shock as you say. It points directly to the defensive coaches. If you want to go back and check there have been several of us sounding this alarm for the past 5 years. Ever since we lost Watson the defense has got worse every year. Can you remember a high school team giving up over 600 yards passing? What about 450 yards to someone who isn't even a good passing team. I don't think Payton Manning ever threw for 600 yards. It would be hard to throw for 600 yards with no defense on the field. That came from Sevier Co. A team the DB plays every year. I bet Volunteer and Central has never given up 600 yards in one game. DB gave up more points and more yardage this year than any year in school history. And this was nowhere near the hardest schedule we've played. The problem Is coaching on the defensive side. It's right there in black and white. I actually think you're just pulling my leg. Nobody is this dumb.