Trezevant vs. Marion THE BATTLE FOR 2A SUPREMACY

Come on BTWSherrif, you already know the score. Whenever an inner city team, especially from the City of Memphis, plays a team that is NOT from the city (be it Memphis, St. Louis, Chicago, etc.) ... the non-urban school will automaitcally be more disciplinerd. It's an understood fact. The urban school will have more athletes ... but they will not be the most disciplined. Get use to that mantra ... it permeates everything, everywhere, in every classification, in every state of the U.S. It's not just a phenomenon in high school football in Tennessee. That line of thinking is 'Par for the Course' thinking from most everybody that is from a non-city type of program. PERIOD. Didn't you know that?

BTWSherrif ... Just let it roll off of your back like water off of a duck and cheer on those Purple Bears.

Its a bad perception in some cases, I've seen really talented team that didn't stack up for the reason's you mentioned  but the one's like Trez with Great leadership are much different. You don't beat teams like Ensworth by being stupid.

Its a bad perception in some cases, I've seen really talented team that didn't stack up for the reason's you mentioned  but the one's like Trez with Great leadership are much different. You don't beat teams like Ensworth by being stupid.

It is true that Trez has played very good team ball at times and if they do Saturday they will probably come out on top.  But they have also had several games where they have not played very good.  Most of their very good games are on the front side of the season while several of their poorer ones are more recent. For KFC that is the basis for me saying that they are inconsistient and not super disciplined.  Trez is with out a doubt a very good team but it remains to be seen which incarnation will show up Saturday and how they handle the pressure of expectations.

"ceiling fan store owner with a comb over!"

"long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!"

You're KILLING it astimeexpires. Dont worry man. Marion wins. One kid I dont care if he's fournette, will not beat this MC team. Team is the key word.

You and others keep referencing Trezevant as a one man show. That is so much not the case that it isn't even funny. First of all, no team advances to a championship game being a one man show. Not in football, not in basketball, not in baseball, or volleyball, or 'whateverball'. It just doesn't happen. The competition will dictate things in that regard. Regardless of classification. TEAMS advance to championship games ... not one man army's. Trezevant is a TEAM ... that just happens to have a very good player on that TEAM. They aren't the first, nor will they be the last team to have a very good player on their team, yet function as a team. The Trezevant HC is too smart to let the others just wacth one player do everything. He's not that type of guy. He's also smart enough to know ... when you have a special player... you let that player do his thing.

I'm sure the MC Head coach and the coaching staff isn't thinking like that. That coach seems to be to smart to fall for something that.

Edited by kwc

Well, it's a broad stroke paint brush that affects ALL inner city programs. It's the pink elephant in the room that doesn't get discussed, yet it's presence is always felt. Inner city programs just have to deal with it. The good programs prevent their players from getting frustrated when it happens and keep them focused on the goal at hand. In most cases, it can be overcome ... but you have to be smart about it becasue the emotions of 14 - 17 year olds can run pretty high. You have to keep them even keeled and ready, regardless of how officiating may go in a game. Losing composure during a game is not an option. Just accepct the call and go back to work ... nothing you can do about it anyway. It is what it is.

Edited by kwc

It is true that Trez has played very good team ball at times and if they do Saturday they will probably come out on top.  But they have also had several games where they have not played very good.  Most of their very good games are on the front side of the season while several of their poorer ones are more recent. For KFC that is the basis for me saying that they are inconsistient and not super disciplined.  Trez is with out a doubt a very good team but it remains to be seen which incarnation will show up Saturday and how they handle the pressure of expectations.

I feel pretty good about Trezevant's ability to handle the pressure of expectations. This isn't the HC's first rodeo in this regard. He's coached two different Trezevent teams to championship games in the past in 4A. His team didn't win either, but you learn some things from those experiences. This year's Trezevant team is back where they think they belong, and they also realize that, just because you got here ... that doesn't mean that you will win the game. I don't think the Trezevant team puts the ball on the ground like they did last year. These opportunities are precious and they don't come around often. This Trezevant team won't be feeling pressure, more so, then the MC team will feel pressure. It's the championship game. All butterflies will dissappear after that firt hit more then likely.

The MC team has the same realization because they were runners-up in 2A last year as well. So, both teams know what it takes to get here and both teams aren't new to this stage of the season. MC may be considered underdogs by most ... that doesn't mean that they just lay down and play dead either. They are in it to win it. At this stage of the season ... it's anybodys game to win.

You and others keep referencing Trezevant as a one man show. 

I sure the MC Head coach and the coaching staff isn't thinking like that. That coach seems to be to smart to fall for something that.

You are holding casual fans and observers to the standard of a coach or expert and this is the source of much of your angst.  Of course the MC staff understands that Trez is not a one man show and believe me they have more respect for them than anybody's daddy on here.  You also show your stripes as an emotionally connected fan with only a casual grasp of the reality of the situation by making generalities about everybody but Trez.  I am sure the Trez staff has different views, if they don't then that is good for MC.

You are holding casual fans and observers to the standard of a coach or expert and this is the source of much of your angst.  Of course the MC staff understands that Trez is not a one man show and believe me they have more respect for them than anybody's daddy on here.  You also show your stripes as an emotionally connected fan with only a casual grasp of the reality of the situation by making generalities about everybody but Trez.  I am sure the Trez staff has different views, if they don't then that is good for MC.

Care to explain the above?

Come on BTWSherrif, you already know the score. Whenever an inner city team, especially from the City of Memphis, plays a team that is NOT from the city (be it Memphis, St. Louis, Chicago, etc.) ... the non-urban school will automaitcally be more disciplinerd. It's an understood fact. The urban school will have more athletes ... but they will not be the most disciplined. Get use to that mantra ... it permeates everything, everywhere, in every classification, in every state of the U.S. It's not just a phenomenon in high school football in Tennessee. That line of thinking is 'Par for the Course' thinking from most everybody that is from a non-city type of program. PERIOD. Didn't you know that?

BTWSherrif ... Just let it roll off of your back like water off of a duck and cheer on those Purple Bears.

Oh ok.........here we go........

Its easy to see on film that marion is rarely out of position on defense. To me, that means they are pretty diciplined, doesnt mean that they will make the play but that they are in position. Likewise, trez is out of position a lot but they are able to get back in position quickly. Take it however you want, bring inner city, memphis, athletes or whatever. Not surprising at all.......

Its easy to see on film that marion is rarely out of position on defense. To me, that means they are pretty diciplined, doesnt mean that they will make the play but that they are in position. Likewise, trez is out of position a lot but they are able to get back in position quickly. Take it however you want, bring inner city, memphis, athletes or whatever. Not surprising at all.......

May hear the P word before its over. I think some have a chip on their shoulder.