3a region 4 2016

I talked my brother after the spring game. He said they played mainly juniors and seniors with several other upperclassmen out with injury. I heard about the young man quitting and ask my nephew about it. From his perspective it wasn't something unexpected. I hate that the young man made that choice, but from the way the spring game sounded they didn't miss a beat. From what I was told close to 70 on the roster GOOD LUCK DRAGONS work hard the rest of the summer. And I did count last years roster from that roster you are correct they have 14 from that roster. With a couple new upper classmen that didn't play last year.

You are correct that there are 19 seniors on the current roster, but as we posted earlier this year how many are returning experienced players. I do not know where these kids came from if they just came out or played as freshman, but I don't think you can represent this as 19 experienced seniors. I do not want to get in a pissing match about all this, I hope for the kids sake I am wrong and they turn things around, I am just stating the facts don't back up sambers hype.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if the hype your talking about. Seems as if the kids like playing for him and I have seen some improvement. I'm excited to get into region play. I will say when they redo schedule this next time I hope he leaves the 4 and 5 a schools off. I do think it's foolish for a 3a school that barely misses being 2a plays up to 5a. No pissing match here. But I will make one last comment to your seniors. 14 are 4 year players not all play on Fridays but have played 4 years and one has played 3. So experienced i would think they should be. GO DRANGONS!!!!! And I'm sorry it didn't work out for whoever you had or have on the team because it all sounds like soured grapes. I'm done with this. GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!

Edited by YAIDAD

Not sure if the hype your talking about. Seems as if the kids like playing for him and I have seen some improvement. I'm excited to get into region play. I will say when they redo schedule this next time I hope he leaves the 4 and 5 a schools off. I do think it's foolish for a 3a school that barely misses being 2a plays up to 5a. No pissing match here. But I will make one last comment to your seniors. 14 are 4 year players not all play on Fridays but have played 4 years and one has played 3. So experienced i would think they should be. GO DRANGONS!!!!! And I'm sorry it didn't work out for whoever you had or have on the team because it all sounds like soured grapes. I'm done with this. GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!

no one on or off the team, old guy here. can remember Joe Willy in fur guarantying a win in the super bowl, just hate to see the level of play,   we done  

Some things I'm seeing:

York has found moments of true competitiveness in these first two games.  They have not been grossly out-talented or dominated.  Like last year; they are the best team in the state at shooting themselves in the foot at the worst times possible.

York must find consistency on offense, sustaining drives and time of possession.

York must improve at wrapping ball carriers on defense.

York must step up special team contributions.

All three phases of the game must take immediate corrective action to avoid undisciplined, foolish penalties. Penalties have been killing us.  

York offensive line needs to gel as a team within the team.

I believe Coach Samber and crew are trying to find the answers. We have several kids capable of making big plays on both sides of the ball.  A win would go a long way to restoring some confidence and belief in themselves. For the last 5 or 6 years, going down by two scores has seemed to be the death knell of this team. Heads drop and play starts getting sloppy, frustrated, and uninspired at times. These seniors have been playing together for a long, long time and are a really good group of kids off the field. They were winners in middle school and I'm hopeful they go out as winners. 

Some things I'm seeing:

York has found moments of true competitiveness in these first two games. They have not been grossly out-talented or dominated. Like last year; they are the best team in the state at shooting themselves in the foot at the worst times possible.

York must find consistency on offense, sustaining drives and time of possession.

York must improve at wrapping ball carriers on defense.

York must step up special team contributions.

All three phases of the game must take immediate corrective action to avoid undisciplined, foolish penalties. Penalties have been killing us.

York offensive line needs to gel as a team within the team.

I believe Coach Samber and crew are trying to find the answers. We have several kids capable of making big plays on both sides of the ball. A win would go a long way to restoring some confidence and belief in themselves. For the last 5 or 6 years, going down by two scores has seemed to be the death knell of this team. Heads drop and play starts getting sloppy, frustrated, and uninspired at times. These seniors have been playing together for a long, long time and are a really good group of kids off the field. They were winners in middle school and I'm hopeful they go out as winners.

Very well said. You seem to have a good grasp and insight on the team thanks for posting.

That Alcoa Playoff game might have taken something out of him and the Upperman football program.

Herron is 5-3 in the playoffs with 3 region titles...program probably hadn't had 3 dist/region titles or 8 playoff appearances before he arrived, in school history. I say that's pretty darn good. They are a little far to pull from the Knox talent base to compete with Alcoa.

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

Herron is 5-3 in the playoffs with 3 region titles...program probably hadn't had 3 dist/region titles or 8 playoff appearances before he arrived, in school history. I say that's pretty darn good. They are a little far to pull from the Knox talent base to compete with Alcoa.

They can pull from all of Putnam County...which has over 73,000 people. You always want to bring up size of schools and population base. The U is right at the top in both in the region.

They can pull from all of Putnam County...which has over 73,000 people. You always want to bring up size of schools and population base. The U is right at the top in both in the region.

90% of the time in the Baxter has been at the low end of the district/region to which they have played over the history of the program. Now they set behind DeKalb and Sequatchie and above York, Smith, and Cannon. Herron's best year he was behind Dekalb, Macon, and LA in enrollment.  And yes at the HS level I do think UH can pull from the entire county but it not quite like pulling from all of Blount and Knox counties with a pop pushing over 250k is my point.

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

90% of the time in the Baxter has been at the low end of the district/region to which they have played over the history of the program. Now they set behind DeKalb and Sequatchie and above York, Smith, and Cannon. Herron's best year he was behind Dekalb, Macon, and LA in enrollment.  And yes at the HS level I do think UH can pull from the entire county but it not quite like pulling from all of Blount and Knox counties with a pop pushing over 250k is my point.

Actually the U is the 2nd largest in the region right behind DC. Smith County is the smallest. The U was sometimes one of the largest in their district/region when in a lower class. Sometimes they were one of the smallest. And yes...they can now draw from a much larger pool than any other region school.