13 Knox County Schools getting new football fields thanks to Pilot.

BarneySox2007

Just curious, I see where the school and the field are in two different locations. Was the school where the field is at one time. I know that's the case at some places like Oak Ridge for example.

Yes. The old high school was across town from the existing school. The new one was built in the 70's. The stadium has been in the same location for almost 100 years. The school board moved into the old junior high building which is located beyond the north end zone. Which makes this whole situation even stranger because the stadium sits right behind the board building and looks bad with the stadium in such disrepair.

2000 visitors go to the football game and the stadium falls in hurting most of the crowd and even killing a few. What's cheaper, pay out 2 million per head times 2000 which is 4 billion dollars or pay 4 million and get the thing rebuilt. Very simple math. The lawsuit would be won hands down because they know of the problem and did nothing about it. Just like the lady that got burned by hot coffee at McDonald's. The thermostat was tore up and dozens of people came in complaining to the managers about the coffee being to hot and they ignored the problem until someone spilled the ten million dollar cup of coffee on them and was burned. Maryville was faced with the same situation back in 1982 when a lady fell through the old wooden stadium and got hurt

Won't happen. They will just condemn it and roll in aluminum bleachers or make the team play down the street. Imagine Maryville having to play home games at Alcoa. The board just put several million into renovations at Beech within the school and that school is nearly 20 years newer.

Won't happen. They will just condemn it and roll in aluminum bleachers or make the team play down the street. Imagine Maryville having to play home games at Alcoa. The board just put several million into renovations at Beech within the school and that school is nearly 20 years newer.

Imagine the ire of the Alcoa supporters of that happened. There are no artificial playing fields in Sumner for the county schools either. 4 different teams from high school to middle use that field. Imagine if the Maryville cheerleaders decorated Alcoa's field in preparation for a "home" game. Those people would go nuts!! Hendersonville and Station Camp have no idea of what this could mean. Beech better be on guard too because they are next in line if we all have home games. Neglect of the stadium could have far reaching effects. Not too mention make Sumner Co a laughing stock.

Blount County school system isn't to far behind you all regarding turning a blind eye to things and letting them go. Back in the mid sixties Everett High won a cannon they would fire after a touchdown was scored. The cannon was actually used in one of the American Wars if I remember right. Anyways when Heritage High school was built they took it out there and let the thing set and virtually destroyed the cannon out of pure stupidity setting underneath the stadium but still outside where the elements rusted it to pieces. Blount County has a knack for setting on their Azzes until it's to late and it cost double to fix things so maybe Sumner County leaders may be related to the leaders here. I hate it for Heritage and William Bount fans and the kids that play there that have to deal with that nonsense.

Blount County school system isn't to far behind you all regarding turning a blind eye to things and letting them go. Back in the mid sixties Everett High won a cannon they would fire after a touchdown was scored. The cannon was actually used in one of the American Wars if I remember right. Anyways when Heritage High school was built they took it out there and let the thing set and virtually destroyed the cannon out of pure stupidity setting underneath the stadium but still outside where the elements rusted it to pieces. Blount County has a knack for setting on their Azzes until it's to late and it cost double to fix things so maybe Sumner County leaders may be related to the leaders here. I hate it for Heritage and William Bount fans and the kids that play there that have to deal with that nonsense.

The cannon sounds cool!! Yeah probably all related somehow. I understand tight budgets but I also understand neglect and safety issues.

Barney,

I wouldn't even put WB and Heritage in the same conversation. Our facilities are in much better shape than theirs. In fact,there's nothing wrong with our facilities, they just aren't fancy like maryville and alcoa's.

Barney,

I wouldn't even put WB and Heritage in the same conversation. Our facilities are in much better shape than theirs. In fact,there's nothing wrong with our facilities, they just aren't fancy like maryville and alcoa's.

Yes your right Gov, WB Campus is a lot nicer than Heritage but it took 37 years to get a new scoreboard and track which was mess and they had no choice. That is what I mean about the county. They wait til it breaks then wait some more then react.

I'm not a fan of this. They're not sure whether or not these fields are causing cancer (particularly to soccer goalies). They're currently doing some studies........they should wait. But no, they're going to do this asap. Not smart imo.

Maybe that's the reason Tennessee is waiting for and want to continue to play in a hog pen.

The cannon sounds cool!! Yeah probably all related somehow. I understand tight budgets but I also understand neglect and safety issues.

You do realize that even though Don Long was not voted to the board, they created a position for him as project manager for operations overseeing school construction projects. Not sure why with his history of embezzlement in his past role of mayoral assistant and economic and community development director in Hendersonville. I assume this is why the stadium is not being addressed along with soccer concessions and bathrooms. There has been a porta potty with building materials at the soccer field in front of the school since last spring. No construction has begun.