To all Trezvant fans: PLEASE READ

Galilee

Can someone explain to me where all this talk was years ago before Trezevant became a household name in TN. Did there just start being 2A schools in Memphis? Where was all this talk when West TN teams and private schools were using and still use all the Memphis 1A and 2A teams for cash games. I.e. North side, Carver, MLK Prep, Douglass, Fairey, Hillcrest, MAHS.....must I continue? A lot of these schools have losing records because they play in these "cash" games. ChecK their schedules and see for yourself. It's 10 times tougher than most of YOUR schools.

One school has a good couple of years and people want to change things. Let's these kids enjoy their 15 minutes of fame! Geesh

Edited by truthBtold03

This talk has been going on for years.

In fact this is the first year of this format.

People were unhappy with the old format for one reason or another. People are now unhappy with this format for one reason or another. Trez winning a title has very little to do with it. Teams with 1 win making the playoffs is s problem regardless of who wins.

• Upvote 1

I agree. There were special circumstances this year though with Hillcrest and Mitchell bring suspended from the playoffs. TSSAA split 10 teams up in 2 districts in Memphis as well. Top 4 make it. Thats fair to me though. It wouldn't be fair to make one of these schools travel to West TN teams during the years. I'm sure they prob thought all of this through and somewhere along the lines this was the best plan.

With the obvious exception of the state championship game, a 2A representative from Memphis only has to leave Shelby County for ONE PLAYOFF GAME every TWO YEARS under the current format.  Yea, that seems fair.  It does not matter if its Trezevant, Mitchell, or any other team, it's not right.  Unfortunately, we have to live with it for one more year.  

Actually it is quite fair. It is more then that. It is as fair as it could possibly be. Memphis has  10 teams in 2A. There is no other solution to the playoffs that can remedy the fact that those 10 teams will comprise two different regions. It just makes sense that way. It's not the TSSAA'a fault that it falls like that. The only fair and equitable thing to do is to divide the regions as evenly as possible and have neighboring regions play against each other. Anything else would be way to chaotic, and travel would increase double, if not triple. It doesn't make any sense to try to reformat the playoffs because Memphis has enough teams to make up two regions. That's not unfair at all. Everybody is playing by the same rules. 

Now ... I know this isn't going to sit well with some, but it can't be helped. It is what it is. There seems to be a need on here to change the playoffs for various reasons. I only have one thing that I require in any playoff format.

Remove all bias and subjectivity. If you have to get some type of selection committee or anything like that. If you have to determine if Team A is more deserving then Team B for any other reason then region play. It's full bias and subjectivity and has NO place determining who goes to the playoffs and who doesn't. If you can come up with a plan that doesn't do those things ... i'm all ears. NO selection committees. No determining Team A is better then Team B from different regions. 

That's WHY we have the current plan gentlemen. There is no other plan that INSURES that there is no bias. No scheming. No politics. No favoritism. That is the only FAIR plan.

You come up with something that insures those things, then let's hear your plan. If you have to select a team from over hear to replace a team from over there. It's full of BIAS, SCHEMING, POLITICS, AND FAVORITISM. It has no place in high school sports.

I know the current plan isn't perfect ... but it's the most fair across the board then anything else.  Everything isn't going to be perfect in a plan like this because this state isn't consistent from one end to the other. But ... there is NO ROOM for bias in it. That's the most important. It is the MOST transparent way to do it. Everything is above board and above reproach. There is no one wondering if their team got slighted over another team because of selection. It is what it is. So, if 0-10 teams make the playoffs. So be it. There is no other way to do it that insures what this system insures. None.

Edited by kwc