Marley Steps Down at USJ

@38320

Mark Richt was fired because he didn't get the job done. Ranked #6 playing Alabama and you lose by 20+ at home. The following week they blew a 4 touchdown team to Tennessee. They lose to Florida by 24 and look where Florida is at now? An FCS team took UGA to overtime, and FBS team has no business taking an FCS team to overtime, regardless of how good the FCS team is. And they only beat Georgia Tech (a 3 win team) by 6. Yes they went 9-3, but that is an UGLY 9-3 record.

Hey Missou, it's hard to argue with a fool like TennVol. Marley is one of the best whether you like him or not. He's gotten it done. What he did this year with that team is amazing. They didn't have the talent they have had in the past but he took them to semis. What else can you do?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last 5 years USJ and North Side have identical 43-17 records. North side has made it past the second round 1 time in the past 5 years. Meanwhile, USJ has played for a state championship and played in the semis. Does your coach need to be fired?

No and here is why. I have seen the good and bad teams at North Side. From years 2004-2008, we went 14-37. Since 2009, we are at 62-22. Coach Vowell is 40 games over .500, two 10-0 seasons and a trip to the semis as well. Making to the semis in D-1 is way much harder than making it in D-2. Call me an idiot but that is the truth. If you are the #1 seed in D-2, you get a first round bye, play two more games and get Thanksgiving week off in order to play for state. D-1 you don't have the luxury of getting two bye weeks in the playoffs. D-1 kids are playing 15 games instead of 13, more opportunities to lose. Yes Coach Marley is a good coach, but I truly believe the USJ administration wants to hear a new voice. No offense to Marley, he will get a new gig at a place if he is willing to travel, but I believe he did all he can do at USJ. Should Coach Vowell be fired? No, because we have seen the good and the bad, and we certainly do not want to go in that route again. Coach Vowell does a lot of off the field stuff in order to help the kids. More than you will ever know. USJ is arguably the place to coach because everything is given to you in order for you to succeed. The standards and expectations are high at the U. North Side doesn't have the facilities, teachers, parents as the USJ kids do, but I can guarantee you the Indians will beat the Bruins 9 times out of 10 if they play each other.

North side played 1-9 Craigmont. That is the same as a bye. That was the only point you made. The rest of your post has no substance thus making it difficult to debate. You seem well informed at times. On this, however, you could not be more wrong my friend. North Side may beat USJ nine times out of ten. That had nothing to do with what I said. Two guys have the same record. One needs fired and the other is the best? You seem smarter than that. You should digress on this one my friend.

Mark Richt was fired because he didn't get the job done. Ranked #6 playing Alabama and you lose by 20+ at home. The following week they blew a 4 touchdown team to Tennessee. They lose to Florida by 24 and look where Florida is at now? An FCS team took UGA to overtime, and FBS team has no business taking an FCS team to overtime, regardless of how good the FCS team is. And they only beat Georgia Tech (a 3 win team) by 6. Yes they went 9-3, but that is an UGLY 9-3 record.

Here comes Kirby Smart......can you say Will Muschamp Junior?

In the last 5 years USJ and North Side have identical 43-17 records. North side has made it past the second round 1 time in the past 5 years. Meanwhile, USJ has played for a state championship and played in the semis. Does your coach need to be fired?

you're not comparing apples to apples....North Side plays in the public school division...approx. 60 teams in each classification....USJ plays in D2...pay for play...what...8 schools in A and AA in each of those classifications?...a D2 state championship is kinda watered down....a private school state championship is equal to a public school district/region championship....

Edited by cofo

That is a fair point and I think there is merit to that. This was not a move based on wins and losses. There are personality conflicts with players and parents and Coach Marley. The gentleman (TennesseeVol) wanted to make USJ out to be the University of Tennessee. My point is he was winning plenty. Could someone else have done better? Of course. There are always people out there that can win more. There are a lot of people that would have done much worse too. You're a smart guy cofo.

That is a fair point and I think there is merit to that. This was not a move based on wins and losses. There are personality conflicts with players and parents and Coach Marley. The gentleman (TennesseeVol) wanted to make USJ out to be the University of Tennessee. My point is he was winning plenty. Could someone else have done better? Of course. There are always people out there that can win more. There are a lot of people that would have done much worse too. You're a smart guy cofo.

thank you missou...I think the "beautiful people" at USJ are frustrated that they haven't won a state championship in football even though they're in the D2....8 team league...Coach Marley is a class act that won 75% of his games....maybe the administration will find someone that does better than that.....I doubt it.....Coach Marley demanded discipline and that may have rubbed some richies the wrong way....Coach Marley will be gobbled up by another school very quickly...your loss USJ....and I bet Coach Hardagree goes with him

Edited by cofo