Marley Steps Down at USJ

@38320

Missou, the argument is invalid on why Coach Vowell should be fired too if he had the same record as Coach Marley.

Acoording to the Jackson Sun, USJ record is 32-15: among those 32 wins, only 5 were over teams that finished the season with a winning record. (2015: FRA and TCA -- 2014: Chester County-- 2013: zero teams -- 2012: TCA and St. George's)

Record speaks for itself, that is how you're going to be judged. How do we know Maryville and Alcoa? Because of all of their state championships that they collect in football. Several USJ parents have complained about Coach Marley and his play calling. That is what I've been told by several USJ parents, and those people aren't typical liers. A lot of USJ people wanted Coach Dyer out, but they couldn't kick him out because he was winning state championships in baseball. Schools are known for their athletic teams. If there was a time to kick Coach Marley out, this would be the right time to do it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does not help also when the school passes out cards for comments on their coaches. Heck I don't know of any teenager that is real pleased with authority. Heck if Marley held the kids accountable then the kid would not be happy. And if the kid is not happy them mom and dad are not happy. At least that is what the paper said that they passed out cards I do not know for sure. But to me it leads to an intitlement to a kid that does not know how the authority figure might be trying to them to grow in ways to be man more than a football player. If they indeed pass out cards to grade the coaches, then it would set up any coach. But then again I am going by what I read. I will say this, if I passed out cards to my three boys tonight to grade me I would be fired right now on the spot because I made them go to bed.

Coach Vowell, in my opinion, is the top coach in West Tennessee. I do not feel he needs fired. My argument is that Vowell and Marley have the same record over the last five years. I digress. USJ has made a tough decision. Someone compared him to Mark Richt. This is more like Bobby Bowden. Kudos to the administration for making such a tough decision. TennesseeVol, do me a favor. Open a thread in 3a-4a and begin a discussion of top five head coaches in West Tennessee. You'll see Vowell's name in several lists. In my humble opinion, you should see Marley's as well.

I can see where USJ is going. Everything was set up for Coach Marley. They have one of the best lineman in the country, a QB that apparently has offers from a few FBS schools such as Southern Miss and Purdue, one of the best kickers in West Tennessee if not the state, and a pretty good lineman/fullback in Sean Reid. They have the best facilities in West Tennessee. I don't know how good D-2 is, nor should I care. But USJ is a job where you should make it to Cookeville every 3 years and that hasn't happened in a while. I think it was time for USJ to move on from Coach Marley.

You must be off your meds. Marley is a great leader, has had good success in the playoffs, and you'd think that he'd have earned a little respect from the administration. Nobody has any loyalty anymore. Not saying that wrongdoing should be overlooked because of tenure, but I'd bet that Marley is sqeaky clean and at least as good a football coach as the new hire. USJ's administration may have just given TCA and JCS some "gifts" for their football coaches just in time for Christmas.  

Edited by tradertwo

• 2 weeks later...

Missou, the argument is invalid on why Coach Vowell should be fired too if he had the same record as Coach Marley.

Acoording to the Jackson Sun, USJ record is 32-15: among those 32 wins, only 5 were over teams that finished the season with a winning record. (2015: FRA and TCA -- 2014: Chester County-- 2013: zero teams -- 2012: TCA and St. George's)

Record speaks for itself, that is how you're going to be judged. How do we know Maryville and Alcoa? Because of all of their state championships that they collect in football. Several USJ parents have complained about Coach Marley and his play calling. That is what I've been told by several USJ parents, and those people aren't typical liers. A lot of USJ people wanted Coach Dyer out, but they couldn't kick him out because he was winning state championships in baseball. Schools are known for their athletic teams. If there was a time to kick Coach Marley out, this would be the right time to do it.

There are some points in your post that I agree with and some that I don't. The main one is the comment about the parents complaining of the play calling. You don't fire a football coach because people that are not football coaches are complainf about X's and O's. If they knew so much about football they would probably be coaching themselves. The coaches is hired to do a job and the parents need to let him.

Mark Richt was fired because he didn't get the job done. Ranked #6 playing Alabama and you lose by 20+ at home. The following week they blew a 4 touchdown team to Tennessee. They lose to Florida by 24 and look where Florida is at now? An FCS team took UGA to overtime, and FBS team has no business taking an FCS team to overtime, regardless of how good the FCS team is. And they only beat Georgia Tech (a 3 win team) by 6. Yes they went 9-3, but that is an UGLY 9-3 record.

i'd take an ugly 9-3 over a beautiful 6-6 any day. but hey thats just me

It is outrageous that they fired him. High School coaches don't make the money college and pro coaches do, they should not be treated like them. People are watching way too much espn. If the coach is losing year after year that is understandable, but this guy won games.

Edited by TrojanTrain

I agree that high school should not be like college; however, your statement is a double standard. If one should not be fired for losing, then one should not be retained simply because he's winning. School administrators should ask themselves a question. Why does our school sponsor a football team? To win? To teach young men intangible lessons outside the classroom? Add several other cliche reasons to have a team. My point... Administrators' responses to this very loaded question will guide them in who to hire, who to fire, and who to retain.