2019- 3 schools, 2 with steep traditions will combine to form a monster.

TheTruthPrevails

Truth is correct. All the high schools in the county are old and soon the county will have to replace all of them. Economically the only viable option is to combine schools. I think most likely there will end up being two county schools. Building a new school in the near future with MC and SP combining into South Marion (both names are represented) Whutwul would remain as is for now and then building a new school North Marion when the population dictates. the county could swing building two school a decade apart ant the room for population growth is in the north of the county. Possible South Marion mascot could be the Moonshiners. There are several skillet heads on here who could rotate each week.

Two county consolidated schools isnt feasible as it wouldnt save much money. Jms would be torn down and the middle school would move to the high school. There would be about a million dollars put into sphs to update it so there could be a spjh. Im not sure why ambassador says it would make it much harder with one school. Same buses, same bus routes, 15 more minute drive time max.......

What about SP? There isn't a middle school. The academy is same building as the high school. Would he academy move to the SP elementary school? There is no room they would have to add on.

However like I said on Facebook, I am for it if it means more vocational type classes for the kids that prepares them for the real world not just college. Yes we need to prepare them for college too, but many of the kids from the county that I have known Through the years end up at a job that had nothing to do with their college degrees. Also, the kids wouldn't care since they are all friends anyways. It's the adults that think it's a bad idea. You could not use any of the mascots from the schools or the colors in my opinion. It would have to be different. And I don't think the community should make that choice. The board should make it and stick by it. If you give the community the choice, then whatever changes are to be made through the years the community would also expect to have a say in it.

What about SP? There isn't a middle school. The academy is same building as the high school. Would he academy move to the SP elementary school? There is no room they would have to add on.

However like I said on Facebook, I am for it if it means more vocational type classes for the kids that prepares them for the real world not just college. Yes we need to prepare them for college too, but many of the kids from the county that I have known Through the years end up at a job that had nothing to do with their college degrees. Also, the kids wouldn't care since they are all friends anyways. It's the adults that think it's a bad idea. You could not use any of the mascots from the schools or the colors in my opinion. It would have to be different. And I don't think the community should make that choice. The board should make it and stick by it. If you give the community the choice, then whatever changes are to be made through the years the community would also expect to have a say in it.

Good points. There are also ways to manipulate the numbers that are being discussed that would put the school in 3a. Pm, as i said, about a million would be put into sphs to update and turn it into a spms. I am all for bettering our kids future. If that means losing a rivalry, then so be it.

So, Ross would be the offensive coordinator and Vic the DC. PP68 could handle special teams and Roy, strength and conditioning. Pirate Mike and rikberry would handle equipment and Bass would be the new SOS! Truth would drive the bus. All in favor?

Lol.... I prob would rather have the opposite. Vic as OC and Ross as DC. Don't think these 2 could coexist though.

I don't see this happening. Same thing was supposed to happen in 1997 while I was in school. Too many people from each town will do whatever it takes to not allow it. "Change" isn't something the majority from either town will want. Most people had rather everything stay the same forever in our county. Plus SP people will bring up the multi million dollar gym. Which I admit, the gym is pretty dang nice and for it to be for a middle school. Idk if I'm buying it. Now If UFO could come pick it up and move it to the new school then maybe. I'm not saying I would be completely against it. Just don't see it. Outside of sports in makes too much sense. But so does a decent restaurant in Kimball but it never happens. Maybe in another 20-25 years. I think 2 schools is more likely than just 1 with all the bus routes. SP and Kimball zoned then Marion and Whitwell zoned. Maybe a North Marion and South Marion? Still hard to see SP gym turn into a middle school gym though. I will believe it when I see it

I don't see this happening. Same thing was supposed to happen in 1997 while I was in school. Too many people from each town will do whatever it takes to not allow it. "Change" isn't something the majority from either town will want. Most people had rather everything stay the same forever in our county. Plus SP people will bring up the multi million dollar gym. Which I admit, the gym is pretty dang nice and for it to be for a middle school. Idk if I'm buying it. Now If UFO could come pick it up and move it to the new school then maybe. I'm not saying I would be completely against it. Just don't see it. Outside of sports in makes too much sense. But so does a decent restaurant in Kimball but it never happens. Maybe in another 20-25 years. I think 2 schools is more likely than just 1 with all the bus routes. SP and Kimball zoned then Marion and Whitwell zoned. Maybe a North Marion and South Marion? Still hard to see SP gym turn into a middle school gym though. I will believe it when I see it

There is way more support than there was in 97. No way there are two schools built. Two as opposed to three schools isnt going to be a big money saver. That will never happen i dont think. All the people opposed to consolidation point back to football. The positives far outweigh the negatives. The support is in place to get the ball rolling. We will see in a couple of months. The bus routes wouldnt change, other than coming from whitwell to the new school, or sp and mc to the new one. Same buses would be utilized, maybe a couple more.

Edited by TheTruthPrevails

The board should make it and stick by it. If you give the community the choice, then whatever changes are to be made through the years the community would also expect to have a say in it.

The community is paying for the school and they elect the board ergo they should have say with what goes on there.