2019- 3 schools, 2 with steep traditions will combine to form a monster.

TheTruthPrevails

We don't need a new school in SP and I didn't know anyone was asking for one here. The only building in our county that is bad is Jasper Middle. Other than that, the other buildings are in good shape

Jasper Middle does need another School quickly.... The funding for that is going to be hard so where is the funding for a new HS. People may want a new School untill they start raising taxes again then look out. I know people will say if you build a HS it will free up a school for the Middle school but a new HS will be double the cost.

If your hearing 2019, then they probably need to get on the stick. Architectural/Engineering drawing take some time plus when their complete, then the state fire marshal has to sign off on the drawings...that could be a couple months depending on how much of a back log there is. As for construction time which all depends on the amount of site prep needed, building design/size, weather, and other factors your looking at best at a minimum of 24 months from groundbreaking to occupancy.

Greenback's new school took around 24 months to build and with a core capacity of 900 students. The school opened the second half of the 2013-14 school year, but talk of it started around 2006.

Take Blount Co. as a good example of small community decline, when they consolidated down to two HS. Everett, Townsend and Walland combined to form Heritage in 1977. Friendsville, Lanier, and Porter combined to form William Blount in 1979. Out of those communities Townsend and Walland but more so Townsend does ok, considering the location of the two being on the edge of the GSMNP...There's still elementary schools in four of those small communities tho.

I don't work out that way but I can tell you the plans are in fact done and bids are being gathered. They're further along in the process than you might think.

As you were

If your hearing 2019, then they probably need to get on the stick. Architectural/Engineering drawing take some time plus when their complete, then the state fire marshal has to sign off on the drawings...that could be a couple months depending on how much of a back log there is. As for construction time which all depends on the amount of site prep needed, building design/size, weather, and other factors your looking at best at a minimum of 24 months from groundbreaking to occupancy.

Greenback's new school took around 24 months to build and with a core capacity of 900 students. The school opened the second half of the 2013-14 school year, but talk of it started around 2006.

Take Blount Co. as a good example of small community decline, when they consolidated down to two HS. Everett, Townsend and Walland combined to form Heritage in 1977. Friendsville, Lanier, and Porter combined to form William Blount in 1979. Out of those communities Townsend and Walland but more so Townsend does ok, considering the location of the two being on the edge of the GSMNP...There's still elementary schools in four of those small communities tho.

You are correct a building that size would take approximately 2 years to build. Then an additional year to complete football, baseball, soccer fields etc.

Not sure this will ever happen honestly. Once you start talking new taxes to fund, people will riot. I love the rivalries in sports as much as anyone but I would want what's best for the kids. If that means consolidation then I am for it. I talked to my son about what he thought about it since he is a student at JMS. He said without hesitation "I hope it doesn't happen till after I graduate!" Old rivalries die hard lol