What is the value of Spring Practice?

MountainTroll

I believe spring pratice helps the players more than the coaches. If the players thinking about asking for a position change, they are better off asking the coach in January than they are in July. Add around 8-15 pounds in muscle, add/drop a little body fat, and perform on the pratice field in April/May. If players want to ask for a position change ( such as TE to WR, DE to LB, and possibly slot WR to safety) than to go for it and ask the coaches when they get back. If it doesn't turn out, they can go back to the normal positions. If it does work out, than the coaches can see that he can play two positions pretty good and not just one.

I actually believe that spring pratice hurts spring sport players if the spring sport players does not get in the weight room during the spring. Such as baseball and soccer players.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would much rather see the football players move into wrestling during the winter and then onto baseball or track & field during the spring. This is provided they continue their strength & conditioning program. Kids need to compete all the time and there is no better competition than the one on one battles of the wrestling mat.

Edited by cbg

Kids get hurt driving vehicles as well but they are still allowed to get their license at 16. Spring football has more risk due to contact versus working out or 7 on 7s. With a new contact rules from TSSAA, this will affect spring football as well.

Your statement regarding the NFL is inaccurate. The NFL has had 34% decrease in concussions between 2012 and 2014.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2015/12/24/high-tech-gear-aims-lessen-deadly-risk-football-concussions/75960372/

http://www.vibe.com/2015/09/nfl-head-injury-safety-jeff-miller-interview/

Kids get hurt driving vehicles as well but they are still allowed to get their license at 16. Spring football has more risk due to contact versus working out or 7 on 7s. With a new contact rules from TSSAA, this will affect spring football as well.

Your statement regarding the NFL is inaccurate. The NFL has had 34% decrease in concussions between 2012 and 2014.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2015/12/24/high-tech-gear-aims-lessen-deadly-risk-football-concussions/75960372/

http://www.vibe.com/2015/09/nfl-head-injury-safety-jeff-miller-interview/

Did I say injuries or concussions? You quoted me inaccurately, and I don't know how credible your sources are. There have been a ton of ACL, MCL, rib, and other injuries this year despite the limited contact rules. Look at how many teams are playing backup QB's. The Ravens are on their third QB and the Texans are on their 4th. I don't have numbers righ off the bat to show, but it sure doesn't seem like injuries are becoming less frequent with the wussuffocation regulations.

Did I say injuries or concussions? You quoted me inaccurately, and I don't know how credible your sources are. There have been a ton of ACL, MCL, rib, and other injuries this year despite the limited contact rules. Look at how many teams are playing backup QB's. The Ravens are on their third QB and the Texans are on their 4th. I don't have numbers righ off the bat to show, but it sure doesn't seem like injuries are becoming less frequent with the wussuffocation regulations.

Not trying to upset you but, bring the stats. There are still many injuries but evidence based research will show that the majority of those rib, MCL and ACL injuries occur with contact.

Again, I'm for contact, just not as much in April/May. Serves little purpose when it can be done in July. Spring practice would be as beneficial with one controlled multiple team contact practice and one intersquad in spring.

Not trying to upset you but, bring the stats. There are still many injuries but evidence based research will show that the majority of those rib, MCL and ACL injuries occur with contact.

Again, I'm for contact, just not as much in April/May. Serves little purpose when it can be done in July. Spring practice would be as beneficial with one controlled multiple team contact practice and one intersquad in spring.

Fair enough. By the way, soccer which is a non contact sport actually produces more concussions than football. I do understand your point, and that would be fair. 

Edited by TrojanTrain

Fair enough. By the way, soccer which is a non contact sport actually produces more concussions than football. I do understand your point, and that would be fair.

Soccer is a contact sport while Football is a collision sport. Soccer produces the third highest injuries behind football and wrestling. Injury rate versus exposure is also a stat to consider.

http://www.wou.edu/~kiddk/PE%20359/2013_Handbook/HealthCareAdmin/View_Read/Injury%20Rate%20%26%20Patterns%20.%20.%20FOLDER/NCAA_InjurySurvey.pdf

Concerning Concussions, football has a higher rate than soccer with Girls soccer higher than boys soccer.

http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/2015/10/7/ConcussionNCAA/

Soccer is a contact sport while Football is a collision sport. Soccer produces the third highest injuries behind football and wrestling. Injury rate versus exposure is also a stat to consider.

http://www.wou.edu/~kiddk/PE%20359/2013_Handbook/HealthCareAdmin/View_Read/Injury%20Rate%20%26%20Patterns%20.%20.%20FOLDER/NCAA_InjurySurvey.pdf

Concerning Concussions, football has a higher rate than soccer with Girls soccer higher than boys soccer.

http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/2015/10/7/ConcussionNCAA/

I believe spring pratice helps the players more than the coaches. If the players thinking about asking for a position change, they are better off asking the coach in January than they are in July. Add around 8-15 pounds in muscle, add/drop a little body fat, and perform on the pratice field in April/May. If players want to ask for a position change ( such as TE to WR, DE to LB, and possibly slot WR to safety) than to go for it and ask the coaches when they get back. If it doesn't turn out, they can go back to the normal positions. If it does work out, than the coaches can see that he can play two positions pretty good and not just one.

I actually believe that spring pratice hurts spring sport players if the spring sport players does not get in the weight room during the spring. Such as baseball and soccer players.

Football players should lift during spring even if in another spring sport. If that spring sport has a inseason lifting program, it can be modified for the individual's success in both. I believe spring football is not a true look when many starters are competing in spring sports. Your best athletes should be multi sport athletes. Edited by TheRealTruth

Football players should lift during spring even if in another spring sport. If that spring sport has a inseason lifting program, it can be modified for the individual's success in both. I believe spring football is not a true look when many starters are competing in spring sports. Your best athletes should be multi sport athletes.

IMO spring practice is a time to evaluate players on an individual level. True not all of your athletes will be there. But you can get a true look at the ones that are.

IMO spring practice is a time to evaluate players on an individual level. True not all of your athletes will be there. But you can get a true look at the ones that are.

Absolutely. Here's some reality that I will spin as well. Several starting in spring will not be starting in fall. It should build depth, however, many kids feel pressured as they must choose football or they will lose their position come fall or others quit that started in spring once they realize their role is little to no playing time come fall. It is unfortunate but does happen everywhere. I still believe July will always give you more answers and as quick than April/May. Again, many states do not even have spring football. I'm glad Tennessee does but, it's primary role should be educational and can still be of evaluation for coaches with less scrimmage/contact. Injury rates are much higher in spring than fall. See previous links. Edited by TheRealTruth

Absolutely. Here's some reality that I will spin as well. Several starting in spring will not be starting in fall. It should build depth, however, many kids feel pressured as they must choose football or they will lose their position come fall or others quit that started in spring once they realize their role is little to no playing time come fall. It is unfortunate but does happen everywhere. I still believe July will always give you more answers and as quick than April/May. Again, many states do not even have spring football. I'm glad Tennessee does but, it's primary role should be educational and can still be of evaluation for coaches with less scrimmage/contact. Injury rates are much higher in spring than fall. See previous links.

I agree with 90% of what you are saying. I guess I'm just old school and being physical was stressed to us when I played. I agree with the fact that spring practice should be primarily educational. Sometimes though you have to have full contact to get a true picture of what you as a coach need to be teaching with specific players. Very good conversation. I am digging this.

I agree with 90% of what you are saying. I guess I'm just old school and being physical was stressed to us when I played. I agree with the fact that spring practice should be primarily educational. Sometimes though you have to have full contact to get a true picture of what you as a coach need to be teaching with specific players. Very good conversation. I am digging this.

I'm quiet a bit old school as well. I remember before spring football existed. You definately have to have full contact for certain teachable moments. Spring football is not exempt from this, just finite to the bigger picture during that time frame. 10 practices and 2 scrimmages are short time to prepare and play as if in season. Competition internally should far outweigh competition of an opponent in spring.

I would suggest five practices with the fifth beginning a contact practice in spring and no scrimmage first week. A controlled practice with another or multiple schools during the second week would be beneficial. The only true scrimmage I would recommend would be a controlled inner squad or for a smaller school against an opponent .