Dobyns Bennett Athletics

I hadn't heard about Newcomb,did hear about another good player that quit a few weeks ago.Fort Patrick Henry dam shame what's happened over the last couple of years.I said 4 years ago this would be the year with all those middle school studs coming up.There are still a lot of great players but my goodness man,it takes every single part of a program getting it done to compete with the best programs .I hate this for the young men that loved the game but have moved on for good reason or not.I hate it for the kids that have continued to play for DB. This is a family and like any family when some lines have been crossed,there is no going back.Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a bunch of these young men { for DB or another team }  do well and play until their football road ends.Lots of great young men on this team and they should have a much better year and roll over many of those guys that beat DB last year.

I was anticipating a 7-3 or 8-2 record. Losing to the Big M obviously and a tossup with The Hill over in Johnson City. I was really surprised a 4-7 record hit the books in Kingsport. How often does that happen? Yes, I know playing bigger schools had part in that and yes 5-6 plays turned a 4-7 team into the 8-2 team DB should have had. Simple mistakes. I'm hoping to see DB win at least 3 more.

I was anticipating a 7-3 or 8-2 record. Losing to the Big M obviously and a tossup with The Hill over in Johnson City. I was really surprised a 4-7 record hit the books in Kingsport. How often does that happen? Yes, I know playing bigger schools had part in that and yes 5-6 plays turned a 4-7 team into the 8-2 team DB should have had. Simple mistakes. I'm hoping to see DB win at least 3 more.

"Bigger schools" had nothing to do with it. Lack of coaching on the defense side was (is) the problem. DB had the offense to go 9-1 in regular season. Look at the stats. Everybody wants to keep dancing around what the real problem is. If they don't get some real coaches for the defense you will see the same thing in 2016. Book it.

WaCo I agree with you. I just didn't go into full detail. Honestly, IMO, the problem with the Defense is the secondary. yea, it is an 11 man group but some players (One in particular) could NOT get the job done. I still am trying to ponder as to why in the world he continued to start. I know injuries with 5 had a big part in that but some players kept getting beat by the same play or same route. What route?? Either a GO! Or a Flag/Post. He would jump the guy's route where he was and would not get over on top of him. Within the play, he saw the WR's eyes, then he saw the WR's butt.

WaCo I agree with you. I just didn't go into full detail. Honestly, IMO, the problem with the Defense is the secondary. yea, it is an 11 man group but some players (One in particular) could NOT get the job done. I still am trying to ponder as to why in the world he continued to start. I know injuries with 5 had a big part in that but some players kept getting beat by the same play or same route. What route?? Either a GO! Or a Flag/Post. He would jump the guy's route where he was and would not get over on top of him. Within the play, he saw the WR's eyes, then he saw the WR's butt.

I would not discount the "bigger schools" argument....     If the 2015 DB team had played the usual Tri-cities cupcakes they would have been 9-1.      Even with a bad defense DB is going to stomp Crockett, Central, Boone, etc.      Yes, defense was an issue but my goodness let's give the other 6A schools at least a little credit...

I would not discount the "bigger schools" argument....     If the 2015 DB team had played the usual Tri-cities cupcakes they would have been 9-1.      Even with a bad defense DB is going to stomp Crockett, Central, Boone, etc.      Yes, defense was an issue but my goodness let's give the other 6A schools at least a little credit...

I respect your argument but I really get tired of beating this dead horse. I say bigger schools have nothing to do with it because........

When DB played in the Big East Conference (I think for 10 years) they played "bigger schools" and won that conference every year except one. The difference between then and now is that they don't have a very good defense. Go back and look at the yardage given up then and compare it to now. It will blow your mind. Just take Maryville out of the figures to make it fair. Its the defense, for Gods sake. IT'S THE DANG DEFENSE!

It's all coaching. DB has the worst defensive backs coach in the state. Bar none.

I see where you are coming from when you're talking about playing "bigger schools" and playing the likes of Crockett, Boone, Central, and Volunteer. Easily finish 9-1 when playing them. Afterwards, the normal 1st or 2nd round exit. Why? The starters play a half. 3 quarters at most. Why? They're up big. They are not used to playing 4 full quarters against tough teams. These "bigger schools" play bigger games and games that require them to play 48 minutes. Not 24 or 36 but 48. I see 2 sides. And yes, TERRIBLE secondary.

I respect your argument but I really get tired of beating this dead horse. I say bigger schools have nothing to do with it because........

When DB played in the Big East Conference (I think for 10 years) they played "bigger schools" and won that conference every year except one. The difference between then and now is that they don't have a very good defense. Go back and look at the yardage given up then and compare it to now. It will blow your mind. Just take Maryville out of the figures to make it fair. Its the defense, for Gods sake. IT'S THE DANG DEFENSE!

I agree with you on a historical basis, but what happened 10 years ago has nothing to do with today....  my argument is that if the 2015 team (not the 2005 team) had played in the Tri-cities it would have yielded a 9-1 record no matter how bad the defense was.     The 2015 team playing against the big boys yielded... well we all know what happened.

Now to your point, if the 2015 team had a good defense then it certainly would not be 4-7, although 9-1 is probably unrealistic as well.    Maybe 7-3.

Things will improve next year.   Why?     Look @ your 2016 opponents...  Sevier Co is losing a top-notch QB.    Oak Ridge loses a state level wide-out.    Seems like Bradley Co is losing their QB too.     Science Hill loses Bedard.    Etc.      I'm sure you guys can think of some others.    Now I agree that if DB coaching does not change the defense will still be questionable but the conference is losing some irreplacable guys too.      Except of course that Blount County team that reloads every year.

I agree with you on a historical basis, but what happened 10 years ago has nothing to do with today....  my argument is that if the 2015 team (not the 2005 team) had played in the Tri-cities it would have yielded a 9-1 record no matter how bad the defense was.     The 2015 team playing against the big boys yielded... well we all know what happened.

Now to your point, if the 2015 team had a good defense then it certainly would not be 4-7, although 9-1 is probably unrealistic as well.    Maybe 7-3.

Things will improve next year.   Why?     Look @ your 2016 opponents...  Sevier Co is losing a top-notch QB.    Oak Ridge loses a state level wide-out.    Seems like Bradley Co is losing their QB too.     Science Hill loses Bedard.    Etc.      I'm sure you guys can think of some others.    Now I agree that if DB coaching does not change the defense will still be questionable but the conference is losing some irreplacable guys too.      Except of course that Blount County team that reloads every year.

Nope. With Watson as DC the 2015 team goes 9-1. And the one loss would not have been embarrassing. Who else on the 2015 schedule would DB lose to with a good defense like they had during the Watson years? Nobody. The Tri-Cities argument is a moot point. I have already proved that. You guys just keep ignoring it. I don't see the DB defense improving one bit if they show up with the same coaching. Last year they made bad quarterbacks look like all-state players. It doesn't matter who loses what players. I could throw for 300 yards on DB's defense.