Dobyns Bennett Athletics

I never have said we could compete with Maryville wacko. We cant! But you guys think db can play with them hahaha. That's even worse, dreamer boy. While you guys are running off players, why don't you run off one of your best to us, your QB..we'll be glad to have him!

What?!?    Nobody from DB has ever said they could hang with Maryville.     Lots of respect for the Rebels program up here.    How many times has DB and SH been completely stomped into the turf?

More to your point though, the tide is turning at SH.      For what, 20 something years SH was a very big but very bad 6A school.     Then after that first win vs DB, and then another win the next year, etc.        SH has no doubt become the alpha team in the Tri-cities.    Unfortunately as long as Maryville is 6A it won't matter in the end.     Just wish we (Boone) could drop you guys from our schedule, but I guess the powers that be don't see it that way.

Batman knows the inside stuff it seems. Is your son coming back to play this year Batman?

I always let my kids make up their own minds when it comes to sports.I'll say this, all my kids are smart and when you disrespect one or all, they learn pretty quick not to let it happen again.My youngest loved the game more then the all NET older brother and had much more size to go with similar strength and good speed.If I moved to Maryville or anywhere a top notch coach was, it might be a possibility, but it would still be up to him.I don't plan on moving and my family is well aware of what making great grades can do just the same as playing sports at the next level.100, I wish your boy and his team all the best, as I do all the kids and coaches that I really like that are still left at DB.

What?!?    Nobody from DB has ever said they could hang with Maryville.     Lots of respect for the Rebels program up here.    How many times has DB and SH been completely stomped into the turf?

More to your point though, the tide is turning at SH.      For what, 20 something years SH was a very big but very bad 6A school.     Then after that first win vs DB, and then another win the next year, etc.        SH has no doubt become the alpha team in the Tri-cities.    Unfortunately as long as Maryville is 6A it won't matter in the end.     Just wish we (Boone) could drop you guys from our schedule, but I guess the powers that be don't see it that way.

Im thinking SH & DB have more to worry about than Maryville. Neither got bounced from the playoffs by Maryville last year.

Im thinking SH & DB have more to worry about than Maryville. Neither got bounced from the playoffs by Maryville last year.

That's true, but I don't see the conference being as strong as last year.   Even if nothing changes @ DB you guys will win a few more in 2016 due to the conference being down.     No, you won't beat the big M but then again neither will anyone else on this end of the state.    But I could see wins against Jeff Co, Willy Blount, Hardin Valley and Bearden.    There's 4.   Non-conference games (and this is just a guess since the schedule has not come out) I could see wins against Sevier Co (losing the QB to the SEC), Oak Ridge (losing wide out to the SEC) and Tenn High (because even a bad DB team is better than TH).     Looking like a 7-3 year.    That's not great by past DB standards but I think the general fan base will be quite pleased.

I don't think Oak Ridge realized how bad the DB secondary was in that early game last year. It's pretty well known now so I'd say Mr. Higgins will have a record setting night this time around.

If I remember right Higgins and the other guy were both about 6'5" and were being defended by cornerbacks about 5'8".     And yet most of the night the Oak Ridge QB was throwing the ball at their feet....   I remember several badly thrown balls, I mean even a middle schooler could have hit some of those passes.     One would think that with 2 wideouts who were such a mismatch (in terms of height) against the cornerbacks that they would simply lob a jump ball.     And yet OR continued to pound a rather unimpressive running game.     Not sure who calls the plays down there but even the DB fans sitting around me were in amazement at the OR offensive game plan.      OR was in fact very lucky to escape with a win.

Higgins has now decommitted from the Vols, looking for  a D1 school that will allow him to play basketball as well as football.   If his recruiting remains wide open in the fall, look for OR to "showcase" him, getting him the ball any way possible.  Could be bad for opponents.  The other receiver that was a senior was not comparable to Higgins.   Oversized for a receiver I thought, around 260, and had academic problems so they say.  Resembled a D lineman wearing a receiver number.  

If I remember right Higgins and the other guy were both about 6'5" and were being defended by cornerbacks about 5'8".     And yet most of the night the Oak Ridge QB was throwing the ball at their feet....   I remember several badly thrown balls, I mean even a middle schooler could have hit some of those passes.     One would think that with 2 wideouts who were such a mismatch (in terms of height) against the cornerbacks that they would simply lob a jump ball.     And yet OR continued to pound a rather unimpressive running game.     Not sure who calls the plays down there but even the DB fans sitting around me were in amazement at the OR offensive game plan.      OR was in fact very lucky to escape with a win.

Yeah, it was pretty unimpressive. In our defense though that was very early in the season with a brand new offensive scheme and linemen who were pretty much learning on the job. I don't want to talk down too much on our QB (he gave his all for 3 years for the program), but he wasn't a QB. He was a WR playing the QB position, but sadly he was pretty much all we had. The other guy may have been a better passer, but he didn't have great ability to avoid the rush, so we just went with #14. This year we will have been in that system for the 2nd year now, so I expect better execution and QB play both. Also at that time our freshman phenom RB Jordan Graham hadn't come on to the scene yet.

We went to a new offense and the coaches were bound and determined to make it work. And it did later in the year but it was awfully ugly and hard to watch early on. And we never did use our receivers like we should have. They practiced throwing the ball 8 or 9 feet in the air and let the receivers go up for it. Jus didn't work in real games. Go figure.

What SS said, too. 

Edited by bounder

Yeah, it was pretty unimpressive. In our defense though that was very early in the season with a brand new offensive scheme and linemen who were pretty much learning on the job. I don't want to talk down too much on our QB (he gave his all for 3 years for the program), but he wasn't a QB. He was a WR playing the QB position, but sadly he was pretty much all we had. The other guy may have been a better passer, but he didn't have great ability to avoid the rush, so we just went with #14. This year we will have been in that system for the 2nd year now, so I expect better execution and QB play both. Also at that time our freshman phenom RB Jordan Graham hadn't come on to the scene yet.

Well you guys certainly ended up with a good team though.    Wasn't trying to bash your QB, just using him to point out a very questionable offensive scheme given the talent at WR.