CRB leaving CAK

QSouth89

Getting back on the serious side now I sometimes wonder how some of these schools magically come up with all these good football players. I watch Maryville on the average get a decent transfer that moves into town about every three years and we're talking about a school that is well known across the south and has an enrollment of 1,500 students. I'm not fussing or anything because I do pull for all the local teams in the playoffs public or private. I watched Meadows at Catholic who I think is a darn good coach but I also wondered if oil being a public coach and water being a private school and how they get their players didn't mix. I also wondered the same had the Alcoa coach taken the CAK job. Also seeing that another private school got Bradley was another reason to think that. Is there another element involved in coaching a private school vs public that can make or break a coach. I do hope CAK continues their success and gets a good coach because I have enjoyed seeing them play and the good games they have had with Alcoa.

Getting back on the serious side now I sometimes wonder how some of these schools magically come up with all these good football players. I watch Maryville on the average get a decent transfer that moves into town about every three years and we're talking about a school that is well known across the south and has an enrollment of 1,500 students. I'm not fussing or anything because I do pull for all the local teams in the playoffs public or private. I watched Meadows at Catholic who I think is a darn good coach but I also wondered if oil being a public coach and water being a private school and how they get their players didn't mix. I also wondered the same had the Alcoa coach taken the CAK job. Also seeing that another private school got Bradley was another reason to think that. Is there another element involved in coaching a private school vs public that can make or break a coach. I do hope CAK continues their success and gets a good coach because I have enjoyed seeing them play and the good games they have had with Alcoa.

Maryville gets them as incoming freshman so they technically aren't transfers..... I think that works out a little better than one every three years. Edited by IrishBBall

Maryville gets them as incoming freshman so they technically aren't transfers..... I think that works out a little better than one every three years.

What your saying is right in one way and that number on a high side would be two at the most sometimes but there are also kids that leave the Maryville program and go somewhere else which equals out. 

Beg to differ on that two at most.

Irish I have been a Maryville fan forever and was a player in the mid seventies. I have a program from every Maryville team since 1970 and have a good knowledge of who comes and goes in the program. They do lose just as many as they get. Your right that most new players do come as freshmen but knowing the program as well as I do the new faces on an average are about two per year. Sometimes there may be three of four then another year none. Some that you may be referring to that have went on to bigger things after high school came in as 10th graders except maybe Jackson who is at Stanford. Most of those players I have been very fortunate to have met the families and listened to their stories why or how they landed at Maryville. No one went looking for these kids, they just showed up. Most of those families had high hopes of future aspirations and wanted their kids to be a part of a winning program which does get the eye's of a lot of recruiters. Just like the kids going to Alabama go there because of having higher hopes of the NFL.

Irish I have been a Maryville fan forever and was a player in the mid seventies. I have a program from every Maryville team since 1970 and have a good knowledge of who comes and goes in the program. They do lose just as many as they get. Your right that most new players do come as freshmen but knowing the program as well as I do the new faces on an average are about two per year. Sometimes there may be three of four then another year none. Some that you may be referring to that have went on to bigger things after high school came in as 10th graders except maybe Jackson who is at Stanford. Most of those players I have been very fortunate to have met the families and listened to their stories why or how they landed at Maryville. No one went looking for these kids, they just showed up. Most of those families had high hopes of future aspirations and wanted their kids to be a part of a winning program which does get the eye's of a lot of recruiters. Just like the kids going to Alabama go there because of having higher hopes of the NFL.

First, I'm not saying that Maryville is out recruiting. We're about the same age so I've seen many of the players that have come and gone through the Maryville program. Maybe I'm just basing it on the number of players I saw come into the program in the mid 2000's that grew up playing with my son. I know that Coach Fulmer had very in-depth conversations with the Douglas family about where Aaron needed to be playing. I think every family would have similar stories about why they ended up at Maryville. I agree completely with your last two sentences. I have the utmost respect for Coach Quarles (and Coach E) and the programs they run. Fulton has the same scenario for both football and basketball. Maybe my perception is based on the high quality of players that have come in and had a big impact on the program. If they are losing players, I would assume it's because they couldn't perform at the level needed to earn minutes.

All of those coaches have children who attend CAK, so that was probably part of the draw in luring them to CAK. I suspect a football coach who is young enough to have school-age children might see that as a draw as well.

As far as specific dollar amounts, I do not have any personal knowledge of any amount that might have been offered to a candidate. However, it's my understanding from being fairly involved in the football program for many years now that Rusty was making considerably more than $55K, and I can't imagine why the AD etc. would think they could find a quality replacement for Rusty for materially less than he was getting paid. I believe Rusty's dad was also making quite a bit more than that amount (although he might have taught two classes to Rusty's one), so with his departure to Jackson it shouldn't be difficult to find the $ to make an attractive offer to a new coach. In other words, I don't know who your source is for the $55K number, but I'd be shocked if it's accurate. Tuition keeps going up so the school is certainly spending money on something!

. Tommy Pharr left Farragut for Cak dayna carter left Seymour for Cak they have Tony Cosey an Olympian coaching track, I think they have the money And will spend it