CRB leaving CAK

QSouth89

"CAK is in Alcoa's shadow" is a pretty off-topic, trollish thing to say.  There's no doubt that CAK's football program is not at the same level year-in, year-out as Alcoa's, but with the exception of Maryville, I bet there aren't many other teams around with three wins against Alcoa in the last decade (if there are ANY besides Maryville).  

Playing against Alcoa every year, and many years twice a year, has given CAK an opportunity to get better...a high-level measuring stick so to speak.  I like to think CAK's presence has challenged Alcoa, at least a little bit.  Technically, Alcoa could be playing football in 2A now but chose to "play up" and remain in 3A; my understanding is they did that so there would be more competition for them to play against.  I'm sure they didn't do it because they were afraid to play Grace and some of the other 2A teams.

You might not realize it, but CAK has only had football for about 13 or 14 years (I might be off a year or two and am too lazy to research the exact number right now).  CAK football has come a pretty long way in a relatively short period of time, due at least in part to the challenge of playing Alcoa every year for the last decade or so. I suppose if you're the type of person who's prone to poo poo others' accomplishments, then to you that means CAK is and always will be in Alcoa's "shadow."  I think there are several Alcoa fans who post here regularly who seem to have considerable respect for what CAK football has accomplished during its relatively short existence.  

It won't be Nix. He is the obvious choice to be Rankin's successor at Alcoa when that time comes. Bradley had two great seasons and a bunch of very successful seasons at CAK but the fact of the matter is/will always be that CAK is in Alcoa's shadow and there is no escaping it.

If I were helping with the search (which for full disclosure I'm not), then Coach Nix would definitely be on my short list.

So, tell me, all knowing one...that doesn't know all, exactly how long is Nix supposed to stay "in the shadow" as you say, of Rankin???

I got CGR on board at Alcoee for at least four more years.

Brian will be close to AARP eligible by then. 
Nix has already applied for a few HC jobs in the area, that is a fact that cannot be disputed.

CAKe may or may not be one that he will look at, but he will, no doubt, kick the tires on it.

He would be on my list as well!  For the reason you alluded to, I think Coach Rankin would be a plausible candidate.  Realistically, though, I'm not optimistic about convincing a guy to leave what has to be one of the top 3-4 high school coaching jobs in the state to go to a considerably smaller private school with a lot less players and which might very well have to make a possibly bumpy transition to Div. II in the next few years.  He might view that as a professionally challenging, financially lucrative way to finish out his career, or he might be content to just stay at Alcoa and probably win at least a couple more state championships before he retires.

Realistically, I think CAK is going to have to find a candidate for whom the CAK head coaching job would be seen as a step up from where they are now.  I wouldn't consider it a "step down" for Coach Rankin to consider the CAK job, but more of a step sideways--being able to draw his state education pension in addition to whatever CAK pays, but more importantly the challenge of trying to lead a smaller team to its next level.  If he's interested in that kind of challenge, then CAK has a chance to get his attention.  If he's happy to finish out his career at Alcoa, CAK's HC job won't appeal to him.

For what it's worth, I'd be happy to have either Coach Nix or Coach Rankin at CAK.  I'm also quite interested in the guy who took Powell to the state championship a few years ago and has taken The King's Academy a long way in a very short time.  I think any of those three would be a great get for CAK.

(I realize some of the Alcoa fan base might consider it to not be a "step up" for Coach Nix to go from being DC at a powerhouse legendary program like Alcoa to being HC at a small, moderately successful private school like CAK.  If any of my Alcoa brethren feel that way, I respect your opinion but respectfully disagree.  He's a heckuva coach and deserves to get a shot at a HC position sooner rather than later, and if Coach Rankin is likely to be at Alcoa for a few more years, this might be Coach Nix's shot at a good place to prove his HC chops.)

Why not go straight for the man at the top. Rankin has his 30 in and I bet he would like to double dip.

$$$ talks.....

Edited by Warriors2011

Rankin interviewed with Catholic a few years ago so I'm sure he would be willing to at least listen to offers. Good way to get another raise from Alcoa.

Warriors2011 are any of the asst coaches qualified?

There is no chance that CAK would hire Rankin, Nix, or any of the Alcoa assistants. Great coaches, but maybe don't exactly run the type of program that is desired by administration. I would take at least 2 of the assistants on CAK's staff before I would want any of the Alcoa coaches. Take everything Tony Dalton/Warriors2011 says with a grain of salt. I'm not sure he has the type of insight he wants everyone to believe

I never claimed any special "insight" and disclosed early in the thread that I'm not on any search committee and I'm sure no one will ask my input before a decision is made.  My comments are my opinions only.  However, without knowing which current CAK assistants you're talking about, you might or might not be aware that only two (possibly three) current HS assistant coaches are actually on staff at the school.  The rest of the assistants are volunteers.  (I'm excluding Mark Bradley from the discussion because it's my understanding he will likely move to Jackson.)  Neither of the assistants on staff has any recent head coaching experience to my knowledge (or any experience as a coordinator) and, as far as I know, any aspirations of being a head coach.  But, if you have some information to the contrary, I would be interested to hear which coach(es) you're talking about.

On a different subject, I'm not aware of Rankin and Nix being anything other than coaches who run a fairly tight ship.  You have information suggesting they're less than honorable?

Slaughter, on further reflection, considering the trouble you went to to look up my previous screen name and go out of your way to deliver a verbal slap down in your post, it seems I must have done something at some point along the way to offend you.  If that is the case, I apologize.  It's not my goal on here to make enemies, just to have some fun and engage in some interesting chat about the sports and schools we love.  If I've done something to rub you the wrong way, please accept my apology.

There is no chance that CAK would hire Rankin, Nix, or any of the Alcoa assistants. Great coaches, but maybe don't exactly run the type of program that is desired by administration. I would take at least 2 of the assistants on CAK's staff before I would want any of the Alcoa coaches. Take everything Tony Dalton/Warriors2011 says with a grain of salt. I'm not sure he has the type of insight he wants everyone to believe

Edited by Warriors2011

You're right. A certain Tennessee commit was a prime example of how a classy program is ran. Classy guy! People like you are why there are instructions on a tube of preparation H. Edited by RudyWasOffsides