Changes at South Doyle?

LHSMom

I had heard that the assistant coach was initially going to pick them up every morning and bringing them to school and then home after practice. Evidentially that got old and they decided it would just be easier for them to stay with him.

I know you're very sold on Coach Duncan not taking shortcuts and such HTV but if this were actually going on as was relayed to me when this first broke....I have a hard time believing he was totally in the dark.

I understand the skepticism.  I really do.  

But remember that they were there on an open zone transfer, so their place of residency isn't a TSSAA issue.    

From the TSSAA handbook:  

Guardian – An adult with whom the student has lived for twelve (12) or more months. For purposes of TSSAA Bylaws, official appointment by a court is not required to establish guardianship; however, no person may be considered a guardian for purposes of these Bylaws unless the student has lived with that person for twelve (12) or more months, regardless of whether that person has been appointed as a guardian by a court.

Also from the TSSAA handbook:

Q. Is it possible for an athlete who does not live at home with his/her parents or guardians to become eligible?

A. Yes. After such a student has attended school for a full school year, and has lived in the community in which the school is located for a period of at least twelve months, the student’s case may be submitted to the Executive Director for a ruling.

Edited by bballfanforever

From the TSSAA handbook:  

Guardian – An adult with whom the student has lived for twelve (12) or more months. For purposes of TSSAA Bylaws, official appointment by a court is not required to establish guardianship; however, no person may be considered a guardian for purposes of these Bylaws unless the student has lived with that person for twelve (12) or more months, regardless of whether that person has been appointed as a guardian by a court.

Also from the TSSAA handbook:

Q. Is it possible for an athlete who does not live at home with his/her parents or guardians to become eligible?

A. Yes. After such a student has attended school for a full school year, and has lived in the community in which the school is located for a period of at least twelve months, the student’s case may be submitted to the Executive Director for a ruling.

What you have to remember is that they are there on an open zone transfer, and they started there as freshmen. There is no residency issue with either the TSSAA or with Knox County Schools.  

But I would think an assistant providing transportation would be a TSSAA issue and moreso a Knox County School system issue.

Coaches can't give students rides?  

How that is interpreted is for a coach or administrator to answer, and not me.  We all know it happens every day.  

But I do think the open zone transfer issue complicates that question, as well.  

What you have to remember is that they are there on an open zone transfer, and they started there as freshmen. There is no residency issue with either the TSSAA or with Knox County Schools.

HTV, I'm definitely no expert on TSSAA rules and I don't really have a dog in this hunt (so maybe I shouldn't even be participating in the discussion?) but it was/is my understanding that students must live with a parent /guardian in order to be eligible. I wasn't really addressing transfer rules, but rather questioning whether living with someone other than the parent /guardian would be in violation of TSSAA rules. The TSSAA sections that I referenced seem to suggest that living with the assistant coach would have violated those policies. If wrong, please correct me.

I also offer no judgement on any coach or administrator, either. I have no way of knowing who knew what in this situation. From everything I've ever heard, Coach Duncan is a good man and well respected administrator and coach - and I've heard positive things about the principal as well.

From these TSSAA sections, however, it seems to me there is some question here as to TSSAA compliance.

The T$$AA could really punish them and move S-D up to the Super 32 so they would go 0-11 instead of 0-10. Tell me what else could you do to an 0-10 team.

Not to be argumentative, but do you suggest TSSAA should only exercise punishments on programs that have been successful (or could be in the near future)?

I have no way to know if there were violations in the SDHS program, but in my opinion if any school is guilty of violations then the past (or possible future) success of the program should be of little importance when considering punishments.

Not to be argumentative, but do you suggest TSSAA should only exercise punishments on programs that have been successful (or could be in the near future)?

I have no way to know if there were violations in the SDHS program, but in my opinion if any school is guilty of violations then the past (or possible future) success of the program should be of little importance when considering punishments.

By all means no. I was just curious what you do to punish a program that went 0-10. The only thing left would look like the T$$AA sending buzzards to eat the rest of the carcass.