Changes at South Doyle?

LHSMom

So are we basically waiting for an announcement from the DA's office and not Knox County Schools?

The ball has been in the DA's court for a while now.  My guess is that we'll hear something from both at the same time.  That would make sense to me.  

But it is still awfully quiet.  Nobody, outside of those two agencies, seems to know anything at this point.  Lots of rumor, but nothing of substance.  

What's the latest HTV??? Still feet dragging??

Nothing new.  Still in the hands of the DAs office, and Jay Whinery - while not having the official tag of "interim coach", is running the off season workout program and getting ready for spring drills.  

Nothing new.  Still in the hands of the DAs office, and Jay Whinery - while not having the official tag of "interim coach", is running the off season workout program and getting ready for spring drills.  

What a disaster. I personally think in a situation like this that a kid should be able to go to another school without having to set out a year. I know the first thing your going to say is that schools would recruit but I guarantee you that most families that have invested a lifetime into their kids wouldn't want it to come to an ugly end like this. When things get caught in the legal system it becomes a long waiting game and those caught in the middle shouldn't have to pay.

What a disaster. I personally think in a situation like this that a kid should be able to go to another school without having to set out a year. I know the first thing your going to say is that schools would recruit but I guarantee you that most families that have invested a lifetime into their kids wouldn't want it to come to an ugly end like this. When things get caught in the legal system it becomes a long waiting game and those caught in the middle shouldn't have to pay.

Don't agree with that at all.  

Students are in school for an education.  Sports, band, other non-academic activities are just that - other activities.  

In Knox County students go to the school they are zoned for unless they can get a transfer for a legit reason, and playing football is not a legit reason.  There are no open zone schools in Knox County, only magnet schools, which is another thing all together.  I am all for choice in education, but when it comes to the public schools and the transfer rules, to allow a move without penalty every time a coach leaves would lead to chaos.  

South-Doyle will be fine.  I am hoping and praying that things will work out and Clark will return, but if not South-Doyle will be in good shape with Jay Whinery, and again I hope whoever the permanent principal turns out to be understands that Jy is the best choice for that job and doesn't blow out the entire coaching staff and start from scratch.  That would be a mistake, in my opinion, but of course nobody is asking me.  

It is an unfortunate situation, but this stuff happens. The timing is what makes everything so much worse, particularly when it takes months and months for decisions to be made. Different circumstances, but very reminiscent of Derek Rang's final spring at Powell a few years back. Heck, look at how the NCAA drug out the Drew Ott situation at Iowa. Taking so long to delay an announcement on his extra year of eligibility (which he didn't receive) will likely cost him a lot of $$ because he's entering the draft so late in the process.

I'm going to get some flak from someone for saying this, but these kids are in school to get an education. Sports are just an extracurricular activity. Football is just a game that most kids won't be playing after they graduate from high school. Life is unfair, and this is just another example of it. Sadly, these things happen to coaches, band directors, teachers, etc. But it's also an opportunity for those kids to come together as a group (and as a community) and show their resolve.

Don't agree with that at all.  

Students are in school for an education.  Sports, band, other non-academic activities are just that - other activities.  

In Knox County students go to the school they are zoned for unless they can get a transfer for a legit reason, and playing football is not a legit reason.  There are no open zone schools in Knox County, only magnet schools, which is another thing all together.  I am all for choice in education, but when it comes to the public schools and the transfer rules, to allow a move without penalty every time a coach leaves would lead to chaos.  

South-Doyle will be fine.  I am hoping and praying that things will work out and Clark will return, but if not South-Doyle will be in good shape with Jay Whinery, and again I hope whoever the permanent principal turns out to be understands that Jy is the best choice for that job and doesn't blow out the entire coaching staff and start from scratch.  That would be a mistake, in my opinion, but of course nobody is asking me.  

I agree with HTV 100%.

I agree with HTV 100%.

That's like sending the whole family to jail to pay for something that one of the parents did. If someone had the ability to be able to move to another zone they should be allowed with no questions asked under the situation. I'm not on here preaching for everyone to get up and abandon S-D but what if you had a kid caught in that mess and not knowing what someone would do that will be in charge of filling that position if need be.