Mr. Basketball finalist's

UCSportsFan

I do not have much insight to the AAA or AA finalist; however, I have closely followed District 9A for years now and even before Foster and Hopkins played in the district. Now I have not seen the kid from Clay Co play, so I do not know where he stands in this race. From watching Foster and Hopkins since they entered high school I believe Foster is the better player. I have felt that way their whole careers, including this year. This year Hopkins has flashier stats. He was even as high as # 2 in the NATION in scoring. But he is forced to take every shot for that City team and they finished 5th in a mediocre 9A this year. Foster is a more well rounded player. He may not shoot the 3 as well as Hopkins, but he has a better mid range game. He also excels driving to the basket and can score in the post. Both are capable play makers, we just do not see that much with them both being the top option on their squads. Foster also has more of a defensive impact for his team. He is a pretty good shot blocker for his size and can sit down and shut someone down if he wants to. That being said I would just give him a slight edge in that category since both players exhaust most of their energy on the other side of the ball. Finally, Foster's team is having much more success this season. He is leading one of the best teams in Single A, who have a legit shot at hoisting the Gold Ball at the end of the year. For that reason, I give him the edge in this race. Both are great players, and I wish Hopkins the best of luck at Belmont as well as Foster where ever he goes. I hope Clay Co can make a run to state so I can see their finalist play. Good luck to all three players the rest of the season!

Side note: It will be interesting to see if the 9A MVP race and Mr. Basketball race agree or conflict on the 9A guys.

I do not have much insight to the AAA or AA finalist; however, I have closely followed District 9A for years now and even before Foster and Hopkins played in the district. Now I have not seen the kid from Clay Co play, so I do not know where he stands in this race. From watching Foster and Hopkins since they entered high school I believe Foster is the better player. I have felt that way their whole careers, including this year. This year Hopkins has flashier stats. He was even as high as # 2 in the NATION in scoring. But he is forced to take every shot for that City team and they finished 5th in a mediocre 9A this year. Foster is a more well rounded player. He may not shoot the 3 as well as Hopkins, but he has a better mid range game. He also excels driving to the basket and can score in the post. Both are capable play makers, we just do not see that much with them both being the top option on their squads. Foster also has more of a defensive impact for his team. He is a pretty good shot blocker for his size and can sit down and shut someone down if he wants to. That being said I would just give him a slight edge in that category since both players exhaust most of their energy on the other side of the ball. Finally, Foster's team is having much more success this season. He is leading one of the best teams in Single A, who have a legit shot at hoisting the Gold Ball at the end of the year. For that reason, I give him the edge in this race. Both are great players, and I wish Hopkins the best of luck at Belmont as well as Foster where ever he goes. I hope Clay Co can make a run to state so I can see their finalist play. Good luck to all three players the rest of the season!

Side note: It will be interesting to see if the 9A MVP race and Mr. Basketball race agree or conflict on the 9A guys.

I am not one that is easily impressed as I have coached for several years both of my boys were first team all state in basketball so when I say that this kid is different he is different. He's just on a higher level and there is no question Clay will be in the state tournament so hopefully you can watch him. Both of my boys played against John Jenkins at Starion Camp and both beat his teams when they played and I coached against him and this kid is the closest thing to Jenkins that I've ever seen in this area. Memphis undoubtedly has some of the same caliber kids but not on the Class A level.

I am not one that is easily impressed as I have coached for several years both of my boys were first team all state in basketball so when I say that this kid is different he is different. He's just on a higher level and there is no question Clay will be in the state tournament so hopefully you can watch him. Both of my boys played against John Jenkins at Starion Camp and both beat his teams when they played and I coached against him and this kid is the closest thing to Jenkins that I've ever seen in this area. Memphis undoubtedly has some of the same caliber kids but not on the Class A level.

Wow that's impressive. Definitely look forward to watching him. Has he committed anywhere yet? And have you seen Foster or Hopkins play?

• 2 weeks later...

A - The best players in that class won't win!  DeMarco Jackson and Nick Hopkins are the best 2 players in that class. both are over 200 points scoring.  Without those 2 in it Key wins.

AA - Austin Douglas should win.  He's top 50 in the country in both scoring and rebounding. Not to mention a 4.2-GPA  He does everything on a team with little basketball ability besides himself.

AAA - Hoover has competed on against top tier talent and proven he can score.  He does more that than just shoot.  Higgins is aggressive on both ends.  Lomax is a special player.  That's a toss up.  I think Hoover gets it because if signing with Wofford.

!!-A - Cooper wins because he team is going to the ship and he's a senior. 

II-AA - Bone gets it ad Garland will win the next 2 years.

Edited by Volunteerstatehoopsguy

A - The best players in that class aren't nominated.  DeMarco Jackson and Nick Hopkins are the best 2 players in that class. both are over 200 points scoring.  Without those 2 in it Key wins.

AA - Austin Douglas should win.  He's top 50 in the country in both scoring and rebounding. Not to mention a 4.2-GPA  He does everything on a team with little basketball ability besides himself.

AAA - Hoover has competed on against top tier talent and proven he can score.  He does more that than just shoot.  Higgins is aggressive on both ends.  Lomax is a special player.  That's a toss up.  I think Hoover gets it because if signing with Wofford.

!!-A - Cooper wins because he team is going to the ship and he's a senior. 

II-AA - Bone gets it ad Garland will win the next 2 years.

Obviously in A you didn't read. Nick Hopkins is a nominated finalist but that doesn't matter Key will still win as he does WAY more for his team with less shots. He has taken them to a likely state birth in one of the tougher districts likely to have two teams from 7A in the glass house. Hopkins only outscores him by 3ppg while taking double his shots and couldn't take his team past the 1st round of the region. Career points doesn't matter as this is a year to year award. Key has 1700-1800 points and didn't play as an 8th grader and is still only a junior.

Key is the only A finalist still currently playing this year. I know this isn't a team award but that plays into it.. Without Key Clay is 2nd/3rd best in their district and likely watching the state tournament from the bleachers instead of possibly playing in it.

Edited by Shozen

Obviously in A you didn't read. Nick Hopkins is a nominated finalist but that doesn't matter Key will still win as he does WAY more for his team with less shots. He has taken them to a likely state birth in one of the tougher districts likely to have two teams from 7A in the glass house. Hopkins only outscores him by 3ppg while taking double his shots and couldn't take his team past the 1st round of the region. Career points doesn't matter as this is a year to year award. Key has 1700-1800 points and didn't play as an 8th grader and is still only a junior.

Key is the only A finalist still currently playing this year. I know this isn't a team award but that plays into it.. Without Key Clay is 2nd/3rd best in their district and likely watching the state tournament from the bleachers instead of possibly playing in it.

At the end of the day the best prospect in Single A is DeMarco Jackson.  A team can have a system and be close to the "Glass House" (CPA).  Key is a decent player and I hope he does well, but the best player in Single won't win the award unfortunately.

Can't find highlights for Key

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4782842/highlights/327921641

Edited by Volunteerstatehoopsguy