Moving to Division II

boxer822

I know a coach there who shared that they are going to stay in Division 1 .. but hey what does he know

I coach there (be it in another sport) and I have kids that play football and basketball at the school too, so what do I know. Since you know a coach who works there then I'm sure you were informed that as of today Catholic doesn't know what they are going to do. The AD and principal stated they were going to investigate ALL options then make a decision. As much as there this belief that private schools have a big stash of cash, we all don't. Having 7 teams in AAA D2, is a joke. When the BOC talked about reducing travel and putting teams together to help with scheduling, I guess they were referring to D1 teams. But in reality the TSSAA can't control the number of private schools in upper East Tennessee or the enrollment numbers. As a competitor, yes, I would like to see Catholic play your so called "big" boys, especially since I was coaching at Catholic back when they were D2 and playing McCallie, Baylor, MBA, Briarcrest etc. I was there when the Irish made it to the D2AA semifinals against Michael Ohler, then the next year playing in the state championship game. But all that travel ugh? As much as you want to say it's about being scared of competition from what I gather it's more about travel. Edited by QSouth89

All privates face that same issue .. and sorry there is a big difference in the teams you mentioned and the big privates.. the big privates are better teams for sure aside from Maryville maybe and all go by same rules .. but looks like Catholic doesn't want to test the waters .. even though they are one the bigger privates ..

Don't kid yourself, most years Maryville does not have enough talent and depth to play the Super 7 private schools during the regular season and then try to win a state championship.  The top private school division is like playing small college football every week.

Don't kid yourself, most years Maryville does not have enough talent and depth to play the Super 7 private schools during the regular season and then try to win a state championship.  The top private school division is like playing small college football every week.

You may be correct ..i said maybe Maryville .. but yes some of the D2 Privates are like playing small colleges ... but doesnt look like Knox Cath wants any part of that... but I thought if scholl gave financial aid that it had no choice .. you mean to tell me noone at KC gets any financial aid from anywhere ?? Donor or  Church etc ???? 

I coach there (be it in another sport) and I have kids that play football and basketball at the school too, so what do I know. Since you know a coach who works there then I'm sure you were informed that as of today Catholic doesn't know what they are going to do. The AD and principal stated they were going to investigate ALL options then make a decision. As much as there this belief that private schools have a big stash of cash, we all don't. Having 7 teams in AAA D2, is a joke. When the BOC talked about reducing travel and putting teams together to help with scheduling, I guess they were referring to D1 teams. But in reality the TSSAA can't control the number of private schools in upper East Tennessee or the enrollment numbers. As a competitor, yes, I would like to see Catholic play your so called "big" boys, especially since I was coaching at Catholic back when they were D2 and playing McCallie, Baylor, MBA, Briarcrest etc. I was there when the Irish made it to the D2AA semifinals against Michael Ohler, then the next year playing in the state championship game. But all that travel ugh? As much as you want to say it's about being scared of competition from what I gather it's more about travel.

Why would they not have the money . .Correct me if wrong but is Knox Cath one of the largest Privates in State ?? ( im asking I dont know ) - didi t you say you already travel to KY and Nash .. that means only 2 or 3 more trips ... if KC wanted to play D2 they would ... the coach I know said that they dont want to play D2 against the big boys .. just repeating what I was told. But answer me a question .. In not sure about this ..if a scholl gives any aid ..either from a donor or church to a student or athlete does that make them have to play D2 ?? If so you cant tell me that none of those kids get any help financially .  

Why would they not have the money . .Correct me if wrong but is Knox Cath one of the largest Privates in State ?? ( im asking I dont know ) - didi t you say you already travel to KY and Nash .. that means only 2 or 3 more trips ... if KC wanted to play D2 they would ... the coach I know said that they dont want to play D2 against the big boys .. just repeating what I was told. But answer me a question .. In not sure about this ..if a scholl gives any aid ..either from a donor or church to a student or athlete does that make them have to play D2 ?? If so you cant tell me that none of those kids get any help financially .

Being the 6th largest doesn't mean every kid in the school play a sport, (Catholic has more going on then athletics) and 90% of the school is Catholic. The trip to Kentucky was due to teams not wanting to play, and if not for the generous nature of a few a parents and a lot of fundraising those trips would be very expensive (and out of pocket) and nonexistant. Having coached at Catholic if a kid receives aid they can not play in varsity competition. Since you have a friend that coaches there he surely would have passed that bit of info on to you. As I keep saying the school has not made up its mind yet. From what I gather it's looking like a move D2 and a 7 team AAA league is where we are headed. And yes Catholic students get a discount on tuition from the non Catholics and kids can apply for aid through catholic charities which is a very hard process as far as getting assistance. Edited by QSouth89

that Principal, AD, Head Football Coach and group of Fighting Irish down at Catholic South ant running from the competition.....of coarse we ant ran before this group of Karl Childers lookalikes at T$$AA made their decisions

Booger just sayin e12fc4195a9097d32d006a4cb7d14205.jpg

Edited by Booger

that Principal, AD, Head Football Coach and group of Fighting Irish down at Catholic South ant running from the competition.....of coarse we ant ran before this group of Karl Childers lookalikes at T$$AA made their decisions

Booger just sayin chickenlips.jpg

I'm sure Booger can feel my pain on this but it's expensive having a kid play at Catholic, they have athletic fee that athletes pay, (or its added on to the tuition), you have to pay for books, on the football team each player is responsible for raising so much money (or its added on to the tuition), this year we have to get our kids laptops (they are not provided for) and this $7 lunches per day...ouch (my kids will be taking lunches). Tuition and fees pay for salaries, and the everyday running of the school like utilities and water etc. The arch diocese does not provide as much funding as you think. I doubt seriously if the bishop would funnel money to stock pile a football team at Catholic and Notre Dame. Catholic does a great job of fundraising money for the school and the athletic teams all do there own. I teach at a public school in Knoxville and parents ask all the time about their kid going to Catholic and then give me a death stare when I tell them there are no scholarships you have to pay your own way. Edited by QSouth89

I'm sure Booger can feel my pain on this but it's expensive having a kid play at Catholic, they have athletic fee that athletes pay, (or its added on to the tuition), you have to pay for books, on the football team each player is responsible for raising so much money (or its added on to the tuition), this year we have to get our kids laptops (they are not provided for) and this $7 lunches per day...ouch (my kids will be taking lunches). Tuition and fees pay for salaries, and the everyday running of the school like utilities and water etc. The arch diocese does not provide as much funding as you think. I doubt seriously if the bishop would funnel money to stock pile a football team at Catholic and Notre Dame. Catholic does a great job of fundraising money for the school and the athletic teams all do there own. I teach at a public school in Knoxville and parents ask all the time about their kid going to Catholic and then give me a death stare when I tell them there are no scholarships you have to pay your own way.

you called it Q; but Booger takin one thang outta that.......theres only one Catholic HS in Chattanooga......how many Diocese in TN and where r they?......where is the nearest one to ND......yall will be down in a few weeks; compare our facilities to yours.......and we r still makin the annual Pilgrams trip to Fox Lonas Road in Knoxville every other year to play yall for a reason.....

you guys r big and good enuff to not dodge this new class yall have been in.....it would not even be a consideration for the Knox Catholic round table if yall were at the top of DII AA

Booger just sayin  :thumb:

Edited by Booger

The possibility of Catholic staying public has everything to do with the travel...of the eight teams in D2 AAA four are in Memphis, that would cost $20,000 2 times a year (not to mention nashville trips) which would mean leaving on Thursday and coming home on Saturday morning for a memphis trip...the travel iin AA is nowhere close to that...That is the bottom line behind it all. That's just football alone. Catholic travels now because two private schools that are less then a mile won't play.

Edited by QSouth89

The possibility of Catholic staying public has everything to do with the travel...of the eight teams in D2 AAA four are in Memphis, that would cost $20,000 2 times a year (not to mention nashville trips) which would mean leaving on Thursday and coming home on Saturday morning for a memphis trip...the travel iin AA is nowhere close to that...That is the bottom line behind it all. That's just football alone. Catholic travels now because two private schools that are less then a mile won't play.

Why wont the privates that are that close not play ????? Who are they ????? Do they play D1 or D2 ???