Individual State Predictions

wrestlingdad64

Anyways, back to the original topic. After studying the brackets, here are my top 6 for each weight in AAA. Let me start by saying this, these are my predictions, my opinions. I guarantee some of you will not agree with some of them, but I'd appreciate if you didn't bash them, as they are just my picks. If you disagree, make your own picks. I welcome the input.

106-

1. Charles Wheaten (Soddy)

2. Brayden Palmer (Beech)

3. Trent Nelson (Tennessee)

4. Bryce Pond (Cleveland)

5. Luke Dezember (Lawrence Co.)

6. Bryson Bishop (Bradley)

113-

1. TJ Hicks (Bradley)

2. Job Dooley (Franklin)

3. Ethan Maxwell (Gibbs)

4. Alex Pergande (Wilson Central)

5. Calvin Martin (William Blount)

6. Tolliver Justice (Halls)

120-

1. Adam Fuller (Centennial)

2. Ryan McElhaney (Bradley)

3. Logan Whiteside (Cleveland)

4. Michael Moultry (Siegel)

5. Dylan Coggins (Stewart's Creek)

6. Landon Adzima (Gibbs)

126-

1. Tristan Roa (Brentwood)

2. Jack Shrader (Franklin)

3. Tristin Blansit (Cleveland)

4. Cleveland Cyree (Tullahoma)

5. Owen Schnedler (Independence)

6. Joshua Lacoe (Bradley)

132-

1. Corbin Hurley (Tennessee)

2. Nick King (Wilson Central)

3. Colton Landers (Cleveland)

4. Joseph Munoz (Walker Valley)

5. Hunter Parker (Bradley)

6. Brady Ingram (Independence)

138-

1. Knox Fuller (Bradley)

2. Zach Wilkins (Mt. Juliet)

3. Jeffery Iler (Centennial)

4. Dewey Pendley (Tennessee)

5. Sean Butler (Summit)

6. Michael Mowery (Arlington)

145-

1. Trevor Rippy (Beech)

2. Michael Diemer (Heritage)

3. Sawyer Knott (Summit)

4. Landon Fowler (Blackman)

5. Austin Matthews (Bradley)

6. Grayson Young (Houston)

152-

1. Chris Rowland (Ravenwood)

2. Adrian Gonzalez (Rossview)

3. Donnie Beyer (Bradley)

4. Christian Salter (Siegel)

5. Mikel Gregory (Walker Valley)

6. Jason Johnson (Tennessee)

160-

1. Tucker Russo (Soddy)

2. Matthew Sells (Blackman)

3. Colton McMahan (Halls)

4. Damon Smith (Wilson Central)

5. Dawson Satterfield (William Blount)

6. Kemale Strong (Hunters Lane)

170-

1. Zach Linton (Wilson Central)

2. Kyle Smith (Beech)

3. John Oliveri (Stewart's Creek)

4. Tate Holmes (Anderson Co.)

5. Max Grayson (Bearden)

6. Nolan Kennedy (William Blount)

182-

1. Kaleb Rippy (Beech)

2. Nate Walling (Mt. Juliet)

3. Jaylon Martin (Walker Valley)

4. Hunter Fortner (Gibbs)

5. Jeremy Spangler (Tennessee)

6. Josh Booker (Jefferson Co.)

195-

1. Brett Brown (Bradley)

2. Dylan Pearson (Tullahoma)

3. Justin Johnson (Stone Memorial)

4. John Lawson III (Gibbs)

5. Andre Bravo (Blackman)

6. Jacob Gerken (Bearden)

220-

1. Hunter Bagley (Science Hill)

2. Tyler Barber (Stewart's Creek)

3. Victor Bednarski (Ooltewah)

4. Javier Salvador (Heritage)

5. James Parker (Overton)

6. Dalton Davis (Cumberland Co.)

HWT-

1. Nick Boykin (Riverdale)

2. Logan Townsend (Jefferson Co.)

3. Michael Kramer (Wilson Central)

4. Hunter Hancock (Summit)

5. Jordan Hardy (Antioch)

6. David Adams (Bradley)

Edited by Bump11

you have got to be one of the rudest people I've ever seen. And if you wanna hear it ok.. The brackets, venue, and medals could all be much better. Brackets SHOULD be seeded so numerous kids don't continue to get screwed every year. The venue SHOULD be a place that's sanitary and not on top of cow turds, where there are noticeable bumps in the mats. And the medals SHOULD be more championship caliber. Bigger, shinier, unique.. Instead of all looking identical

you forgot one --- AND EVERYONE SHOULD GET A MEDAL !  They worked hard all year long. . .

ding ding

Edited by HSDAD

you forgot one --- AND EVERYONE SHOULD GET A MEDAL ! They worked hard all year long. . .

ding ding

now that is not true. I don't even agree with the split. I also know that a lot of states have 4 regions where we have 8. And send 16 to state where we send 32. I would be ok with that. But no, everyone does not deserve a medal. Top 6. But there has to be a better way to assure the top six actually make the top 6. For example, a couple years ago Knox Fuller man handled Murphy elkin in the state finals. Knox was one of 5 top 6 guys in his side of the bracket. Where as Murphy only had Kyle Lee. Seems like a cake walk compared to fullers side. Especially since any of those other 4 guys would've been a finalist had they been placed on the other side. Cyree, Fuller, Cerrito, Brothers, and Bishop were 1,2,3,4, and 6 in the state. Yet all were placed on he same side. Heck, Cerrito and Bishop met in the first rd. While the other side had #5 Kyle Lee, who Murphy beat, but that's nothing compared to the other side. It needs to be properly seeded to ensure the best results.

you have got to be one of the rudest people I've ever seen. And if you wanna hear it ok.. The brackets, venue, and medals could all be much better. Brackets SHOULD be seeded so numerous kids don't continue to get screwed every year. The venue SHOULD be a place that's sanitary and not on top of cow turds, where there are noticeable bumps in the mats. And the medals SHOULD be more championship caliber. Bigger, shinier, unique.. Instead of all looking identical

"should be seeded so numerous kids don't continue to get screwed"

I hate to inform you of this news, but not sure why it matters if it is seeded or not. I thought to be the best you had to beat the best. Why does it matter if a kid loses in the semis or the finals...? Either way he didn't win, seeding shouldn't affect someone winning a state title, although it does make a good excuse for kids who cant win....

"should be seeded so numerous kids don't continue to get screwed"

I hate to inform you of this news, but not sure why it matters if it is seeded or not. I thought to be the best you had to beat the best. Why does it matter if a kid loses in the semis or the finals...? Either way he didn't win, seeding shouldn't affect someone winning a state title, although it does make a good excuse for kids who cant win....

for the simple reason that the top 2 kids would meet in the finals. Instead of he quarters. Ask anyone who would've rather seen a fuller vs Cyree final over any other combination. I bet it's a large number. A state championship match shouldn't be completely one sided

now that is not true. I don't even agree with the split. I also know that a lot of states have 4 regions where we have 8. And send 16 to state where we send 32. I would be ok with that. But no, everyone does not deserve a medal. Top 6. But there has to be a better way to assure the top six actually make the top 6. For example, a couple years ago Knox Fuller man handled Murphy elkin in the state finals. Knox was one of 5 top 6 guys in his side of the bracket. Where as Murphy only had Kyle Lee. Seems like a cake walk compared to fullers side. Especially since any of those other 4 guys would've been a finalist had they been placed on the other side. Cyree, Fuller, Cerrito, Brothers, and Bishop were 1,2,3,4, and 6 in the state. Yet all were placed on he same side. Heck, Cerrito and Bishop met in the first rd. While the other side had #5 Kyle Lee, who Murphy beat, but that's nothing compared to the other side. It needs to be properly seeded to ensure the best results.

just be glad they did away with that old carry tournament. Now that led to some tragedies

I've been to hundreds of major tournaments and I've yet to see ANY major tournament without a check scale and without a challenge scale (usually the check scale is one of the challenge scales). Of course I wasn't there and don't know if the Region tournament was an exception and also don't know if maybe he was stuck in traffic or got to the weighins at the last minute. But it is a shame as he surely would've been competing for a state championship (provided he made weight for the next 3 weighins)

just so everyone knows there was a scale open in the locker room  before weigh ins. there was two scales and the challenge scale was close to 1/2 pound lighter . he was .1pound over on the challenge scale

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

No one had this young man on the radar @ 126...

Huge accomplishments deserves huge press coverage... Little late, but sweet for this Blount country wrestler getting his schools First Championship....

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/high-school/heritages-juan-hernandez-goes-from-nearly-quitting-to-state-wrestling-champion-2eb8fe90-fc26-37d1-e0-373784601.html?d=mobile

Heritage’s Juan Hernandez goes from nearly quitting to state wrestling champion

lead article imagei

SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL Juan Hernandez of Heritage is the PrepXtra wrestler of the year.

Image credit: Saul Young

By Dave Link of the Knoxville News Sentinel

Yesterday 8:19 p.m.

Juan Hernandez's journey to state wrestling champion included more mental and emotional hurdles than physical ones.

The Heritage High School senior wasn't sure he wanted to continue wrestling as a junior.

"Last year I hit this big frustrating wrestling wall," Hernandez said. "I wanted to quit. I just didn't see wrestling as me anymore."

However, he continued wrestling after the encouragement of his coach, Jerry Teaster, and former teammate Nick Crawford.

As Teaster remembered: "He wasn't going to wrestle his senior year, but we talked him into it."

The talks worked, and Hernandez returned with a vengeance his senior season.

The PrepXtra Wrestler of the Year compiled a 49-5 record, with his only in-state losses to wrestlers neither in the coverage area nor in Heritage's classification.

And he completed his comeback when he defeated senior Joshua LaCoe of state champion Bradley Central, 6-3, in the finals of the 126-pound weight class for his first state championship.

"It was beautiful," said Hernandez, who became Heritage's first individual wrestling state champion. "Words can't really describe it."

ADVERTISEMENT

Hernandez said there has been ups and downs since he started wrestling in the seventh grade.

He struggled initially, but did well in middle school competitions in eighth grade before working his way up the competitive ladder in high school. As a junior, he finished fourth in the state.

He said he enjoys wrestling because of the competitive and challenging aspects.

"Either you are going to come out the winner or the loser," Hernandez said. "And you've got to grind it out. If you don't have the motivation to push through the goals you set or through practice, it's not for you."

Teaster said Hernandez was a great role model on and off the mat this season and exemplified his position as a team captain.

"He works with the other kids and he has a great spirit about him," said Teaster. "He's a great young man. I'm so glad he stuck it out."

Hernandez said he plans to wrestle next year at a NAIA school, perhaps King College or Cumberland University. He hopes to study marine biology.

"I like the beach and being in the water," he said with a laugh.

He also liked becoming his school's first wrestling state champion.

"I was the first," Hernandez said, "but hopefully more will come."